Ownership Verified: The red baron! My Donkervoort S8AT, hubby of topless swede and connoisseur of boost!

Adrian

Chariot of Fire
Car(s)
'13 VW T5, '07 SMC, '94 BMW 850, '92 Donkervoort
Some of you guys might already know this, but for the last two years i have been oogling this advert of a dutch red baron. Despite looking clean as a whistle, low kms and well cared for, the car appeared unsellable. This because the owner, and his wife, was disabled and the car modified as such. The advert has remained up for well over two years. Eventually the #gear crowd got tired of me talking about it, and so did i - i had no plans of purchasing it though, never. Even though i love the type of car, it was not my... thing. I wanted something crazy, not a luxurious dutchie on speed. But under the cover of mini-ringmeet October 5th i flew to D?sseldorf and met up with Tim (Timbit) and Joe (Loose_unit) to go look at the beast.

Sadly all i have from the visit are cellphonepics:

- So clean and shiny!

- The hand controls. Throttle on the steeringwheel, brake on the lever.
Clutch works by bending the lever in the middle, downwards. I'll make videos demonstrating this.

- The Ford 2.0l Turbo powerplant, feeding through a 5-speed manual transmission.
In stock configuration it puts about 160 hp to the ground, the current setup is apparently closer to 200.

- My immediate grin! Boy was i wrong. What i was presented with still haven't sunken properly in.
It's presence is unmatched by anything i have met, seen, or touched so far. It was perfect. I was sold.
Over some very delicious tea and cakes a price was agreed upon, and the pickup planning begun! As if one 8 wasn't enough...

The pickup!
And this weekend she was picked up. Joining Tim and Joe on the job this time was my good friend Lars-Erik (larswey), who also picked up the 850 with me. Lars-Erik and me hopped in the T5 after work on friday and began the long journey through mountaineous Senmark and onwards south on ze Autobahn sharing the driving. After a quick sleepover at Tims place (thank you!), the trek northbound to Schloss-Holte began on this misty morning.

- Backing in the tight yard.

- There it is! :D

- Putting the roof on!

- Turning it around...

- And loading it on!

- And the trek back begun :)

- After dropping the german and fake german off...

- ...MANY kilometers...

- ...some testfitting at the ferry terminal, we...

- ...made it home! Where it rests until it gets plates later this week, and moves to winter storage.

Proofpic:

Last edited:
THREAD! Congrats!

Donkey-Ford! It's insane and you are too. Congrats man!

Very cool! I'm trying to figure out how the brake/clutch works, but it keeps braking my brain.

One hell of a husband. She'll be chuffed. Like this:
893.gif

Also choo-choo. TURBO! :w00t:

I presume this means I get the 850, now... Right?

Last edited:
:motherofgod:

You just won Finalgear.

Done.

Congrats again. The sevens are taking over, watch out Miata club!

I hope you have enough hands to handle the beast, sounds pretty ambitious with a full manual :) And a turbo. Will be quite a workout.

Can't wait to see every detail in person. Not even two Caterhams are alike, and different makers always add something else to the mix.
The only "big" 7 I've sat in was the SV, this looks like it might be slightly larger than that. Regardless, should be more than quick enough.

And finally, I reject this crazy idea of calling it an 8! It may be an S8, but it's clearly a Seven!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and the low mounted headlights look really mean! I need to see if I can replicate that :p

Epic car, dude! Try not to wreck it before Ringmeet 2014, where I might even dare to ask for a ride...

Very cool! I'm trying to figure out how the brake/clutch works, but it keeps braking my brain.

Stop clutching at straws :p

Wow, nice purchase! I had no idea that these cars came with the pinto engine in turbo form. What is the mfg. year of the car? Like the Revolution wheels as well, very 80's.

Seems like they tried to hide the agricultural appearance of the ohc pinto engine with some type of engine cover? If the car starts feeling sluggish, it's quite cheap to modify a turbo pinto to around 300-350hp ;) Although I think it'll be enough of a handful as it is with those hand controls!

Love it, and the hand controls look fascinating. Congrats. Someone here needs to paint one of these British racing green with the nose in yellow.

That looks fantastic, what a great car! (Looks well in red too.)

:cool:

Incredible.

Now I'm trying to figure out what you are going to add to your garage next :think:

Incredible.

Now I'm trying to figure out what you are going to add to your garage next :think:

Well he has an awesome American Land Yacht
He has an awesome German V12 Grand Tourer
He has an awesome Dutch 7 replica
He has an awesome German van
He has an awesome street legal kart thing,

Clearly that means a Bowler Wildcat is next.

Well he has an awesome American Land Yacht
He has an awesome German V12 Grand Tourer
He has an awesome Dutch 7 replica
He has an awesome German van
He has an awesome street legal kart thing,

Clearly that means a Bowler Wildcat is next.

This...this, needs to happen.

Epic car.

:yes:
I think I need to get my name on your will. :)