The return of De Tomaso!

Wasn't this styled by Pininfarina though? So it should be no surprise it looks like an arse wart.

big_de_tomaso_sls_02.jpg

i think this is the first car where the front wheel arch is higher than the rear wheel arch :bangin:

You do realise that about most, if not every modern car (or any for about 20-30 years) has had this design feature?

Pininfarina used to be mean something good, now it's just "Oh no, what have they done now.."

It'll sell just because of the badge.

Not knowing anything about De Tomaso, I looked at that and thought that some luxo-tuning company had redone a 5GT. I still can't see anything but.

I know I'm against everyone here, but I kinda like it. I'm getting sort of AMC Eagle vibes from it, not to mention the 550 HP V8, that alone makes it worthy of a closer look .

It has the high nose with vertical front for pedestrian impact safety and the bland and featureless body for aerodynamics and fuel economy. It looks like every other car that hasn't been styled well enough to hide these awful modern necessities. I don't think it looks particularly offensive tho, just kind of bland. It's even beige.

I'll bet that Alejandro de Tomaso is rolling over in his grave. Not that all his cars were lookers, but at least they had some character.

Hey, Pininfarina hasn't limited their fail to cars. We have Pininfarina-designed trams in Boston, which are pretty ghastly:

4767651818_deff264ae4.jpg

Also, expensive as hell.

One hundred low-floor cars were purchased from the Italian vendor AnsaldoBreda (Breda), with styling by Pininfarina. These have proven to be problematic and difficult to maintain. The first cars delivered failed every 400 miles (640 km), far less than the 9,000 miles (14,500 km) specified by the MBTA, and were prone to derailments. The MBTA has been forced to spend an additional US$9.5 million to modify tracks to prevent the derailment problems, echoing early problems with the Boeing stock. The MBTA has been criticized for their failure to assess Breda's reliability before entering into the deal and during the delivery of the vehicles.

Pantera set to return!

The De Tomaso Deauville concept debuted at the Geneva Motor Show to mostly disappointed reactions. Even if it wasn't a re-dressed Cadillac SRX, it would be tough for anything to live up to the spectacular and long-running Pantera that DeTomaso is most commonly known for.

If you're concerned that the new De Tomaso will descend the rat hole of unattractive milquetoast cars, fear not! The Pantera will be back. According to Pistonheads, De Tomaso will bring a new Pantera to the Los Angeles Auto Show in November. No further details are forthcoming, but it's a glimmer of hope for enthusiasts.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/05/report-de-tomaso-pantera-will-return-in-2011/#comments

i was so expecting a new Pantera.

i am dissapoint

If sales of beige boxes like this are used to finance awesome stuff like the new Pantera, them I'm all for it.

/me crosses fingers for a new Longchamp as well

^Exactly - This will get the DeTomaso badge out to the masses, and then once sales are up and running they will have the funding to bring back a sports car of some sort or add something else to the range.

Its the correct car for the correct market - whether I like it or not is another matter.

Also, expensive as hell.

Weeeee! We also have trams from Breda (Sirio), styled by Pininfarina! They're shit! Only 28 of 40 are working at all. 12 trams are broken, waiting for months for parts that never arrive from Italy. And guess what! The city bought 25 more! In the future, they're thinking of spending three billion SEK on 125 more.

If this was a normal procurement procedure, noone would buy a thing from a supplier with that kind of track record. But since it's for public transport politicians with no brain get to make the decisions and they want more! Claims they are "airy and nice". And they are, when they're not moving. Lots of swedish birch. If that is a priority, as opposed to moving people, the M32 (Sirio) is truly a great tram.

The fact that they never work and the swedish trams (M28, M29) from the 60's are better at negotiating turns, quieter and not as bumpy (the Bredas skip violently with their fixed trucks and ruin the track) seems to have flown past the airheaded politicians. I wonder if they even ride the trams. The operator who runs the trams hates them and is frank with the fact that if it were up to them they would never ever buy anything from Breda again. And second generation swedish-german M31 trams from the 80's are even better, with low floor for disabled access.

Things that do not work on italian trams:
  • Propulsion
  • Heating in winter
  • Airconditioning in summer
  • Doors all the time
  • Negotiating corners
  • Parts delivery all the time
  • Seat adjustment for the driver (there isnt any. Drivers over 170cm drive with their feet on the dashboard)

Things Breda knows how to do
  • Invoices
  • Blaming others, including God, the weather, and France

Summary: Breda shouldnt be in business, when a product designed in the 21st century is worse than a model that's over 40 years older, it's pretty crap.

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2011/03/07/818.jpg
These still works fine.

The fact that AnsaldoBredas other project, the IC4, also doesnt work, is a testament to how poorly run the company is. There must be some italian state subsidy keeping them in business...

[Update]
AnsaldoBreda is owned by Finmeccanica which is owned by the Italian government. There's my answer.

Last edited:
Hope they can make the Pantera work. Work as in make something awesome and unique rather than just slap a different body on something that exists.

Apparently they are also planning a premium hatchback too.

I think it would look much better if it was designed like typical limousine, not this crossover or what it this. I looked forward De Tomaso come back, but this isn?t that what i was expected.