The road to the World Cup Brazil 2014

I remember a time when Romania was to be feared, the likes of Hagi and company which eliminated Argentina from a World Cup... If the current team has one tenth the talent of those guys, they'll have no problem with Greece

As far as Portugal's draw, it's make it or break it. Sweden is not easy. If Portugal plays like they did vs Israel and Sweden does what they did vs Germany, it'll be a walkover for the vikings.

Portugal are weird, way too inconsistent. Not that I'm complaining, we've had pretty decent luck against you guys in the last couple of qualifications :p

Tonight, Germany has a friendly game against the girls of Italy...and next week, on the day when I get my diploma and will be pissed drunk in the UK, we play England. It was nice knowing you.

Well that looks pretty conclusive! :lol:

Yeah, the Latin American sides fully proving their favorite status there. Jordan and New Zealand were a bit unlucky to "draw" such strong opposition. Both Uruguay and Mexico usually qualify without too much of a hassle.

November 15

European play-offs, first leg:

Ukraine 2:0 France
Greece 3:1 Romania
Portugal 1:0 Sweden
Iceland 0:0 Croatia

November 15

European play-offs, first leg:

Ukraine 2:0 France
Greece 3:1 Romania
Portugal 1:0 Sweden
Iceland 0:0 Croatia

Hmm, that's pretty close still. :think:

I would really like for Iceland to go through, but I reckon Croatia will be too good for them at home.

France will probably win at home by 3 or more, alternatively they may loose 5 to zero. Who knows, which team will turn up? * shrugs *

Sweden & Portugal is too close to call.

.. and come on ROMANIA, FFS! :lol:

Last edited:
If I were a betting man I'd have some money on Belgium, at least to the 'semis'. They have some great players atm.

.. and come on ROMANIA, FFS! :lol:

Lol, I'm not surprised. I did say that we'd be watching others on TV next year instead of cheering our team on. Again. :lol: We haven't gone through to any major tournament since 2008, and it's unlikely we'll be doing so for the foreseeable future.

Lol, I'm not surprised. I did say that we'd be watching others on TV next year instead of cheering our team on. Again. :lol: We haven't gone through to any major tournament since 2008, and it's unlikely we'll be doing so for the foreseeable future.

Yeah you did, but I still want Romania to qualify.
:smile:

If I were a betting man I'd have some money on Belgium, at least to the 'semis'. They have some great players atm.

Best squad for a long time, although Fellani has been quieter this year at Man U.

:smile:

Greece leads 1-0 in the second leg. Yeah, bye bye Brazil for our team. Yes, I'm glad about it, they should all die in a fire for reasons of incompetence.

Now I want to see the Greeks finish last in their group, to prove to the world what a bunch of uber-losers our national football team actually is.

Second leg play-off results:

Romania 1:1 Greece
France 3:0 Ukraine
Sweden 2:3 Portugal
Croatia 2:0 Iceland

Algeria 1:0 Burkina Faso
Egypt 2:1 Ghana
Cameroon 4:1 Tunisia
Senegal 1:1 C?te d'Ivoire
Nigeria 2:0 Ethiopia

New Zealand 2:4 Mexico

Uruguay host Jordan tonight, in what is the very last qualifying fixture for the 2014 World Cup.

As far as Portugal's draw, it's make it or break it. Sweden is not easy. If Portugal plays like they did vs Israel and Sweden does what they did vs Germany, it'll be a walkover for the vikings.

Luckily for you, Cristiano plays on your side. :thumbup:

Holy shit, Ronnie plays for Messi-land? :p

The mere formality that was the second leg match between Uruguay and Jordan ended in a goalless draw. And so, the 32 finalists:

Africa
Algeria
Cameroon
C?te d'Ivoire
Ghana
Nigeria

Asia
Australia
Iran
Japan
Korea Republic

Europe
Belgium
Bosnia-Herzegovina
Croatia
England
France
Germany
Greece
Italy
Netherlands
Portugal
Russia
Spain
Switzerland

North and Central America
Costa Rica
Honduras
Mexico
USA

South America
Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Colombia
Ecuador
Uruguay

The final draw will take place on December 6. I guess it will provide a suitable opportunity to start a new thread (I'm committing to it right now).

Luckily for you, Cristiano plays on your side. :thumbup:

Well here's the thing, I'm sick and tired of people over here praising him and the whole team for last-ditch efforts. That qualifying was an easy matter for a team like Portugal but they spend months playing like shit and then have to go to play offs, almost every single time. Then they applaud and praise them for winning the play-off, and so the next time around it happens all over again!
One day, it will not work out, and they'll be out of an Euro or World Cup for stupid reasons, and maybe then people will understand the national team needs some hard love before they start erecting their golden Ronaldo statues, calling him the best player in the world, meanwhile forgetting he couldn't score against Northern frikken Ireland.

I recommend you to stop being so bitter and, if not appreciate, at least fairly judge Cristiano's performance. Even if you are not portuguese, it's quite easy to understand why people there enjoy what he's doing.

Also, being curious as to the upcoming draw, I Google'd about to find the seedings.

So here is the possible, potential, maybe-ish seedings, according to AllVoices News site:

The 32 qualified teams will be divided into four pots or section of 8 teams each.

According to Wikipedia report, the seeded pot (Pot 1) will contain the hosts Brazil and the seven best-ranked qualified teams according to the October 2013 FIFA World Rankings, including Spain, Germany, Argentina, Colombia, Belgium, Uruguay and Switzerland.

The other pots will be based on geographic and sports criteria. In 2010 group draw and seeding, Pot 2 is assigned for (Asia, North America & Oceania), Pot 3 (Africa & South America) and Pot 4 (Europe).

Based on that scenario, projected pots are:

1. Brazil, Spain, Germany, Argentina, Colombia, Belgium, Switzerland, Uruguay.

2. Japan, Australia, Iran, S Korea, Costa Rica, United States, Mexico, Honduras.

3. France, Chile, Ecuador, Nigeria, Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Algeria, Ghana.

4. Holland, Italy, England, Portugal, Greece, Bosnia, Croatia, Russia.

Interesting, no?

:?

I recommend you to stop being so bitter and, if not appreciate, at least fairly judge Cristiano's performance. Even if you are not portuguese, it's quite easy to understand why people there enjoy what he's doing.

Sure, that's if you want to put one performance over tens of other bad ones before it. The team is not all about him. They all collectively did badly in these qualifiers and they do not deserve the praise they're getting. If you throw a party every time you get a mediocre grade then what's your motivation to get an excellent one?

England boss Roy Hodgson says location is key - BBC Sport

BBC Sport said:
England manager Roy Hodgson says where teams play their group games at the 2014 World Cup may prove more significant than the sides they are actually drawn against.

The 32 competing countries will find out the location and schedule of their group games when the draw takes place on Friday in Salvador, Brazil.

And Hodgson suggests differing climatic conditions in Brazil's host cities could prove decisive in the opening stages of the tournament.

I see what he is trying to say about location, some of the Group Stage locations are cooler than others, but he does come across as a bit of an idiot.

It is a bit like: England Coach prefers "Group of Death" in a nice location, rather than a easier Group to get through to Round 2.
(I think all the places are going to be very hot & humid.)

:unsure:

Also, being curious as to the upcoming draw, I Google'd about to find the seedings.

So here is the possible, potential, maybe-ish seedings, according to AllVoices News site:

The 32 qualified teams will be divided into four pots or section of 8 teams each.

According to Wikipedia report, the seeded pot (Pot 1) will contain the hosts Brazil and the seven best-ranked qualified teams according to the October 2013 FIFA World Rankings, including Spain, Germany, Argentina, Colombia, Belgium, Uruguay and Switzerland.

The other pots will be based on geographic and sports criteria. In 2010 group draw and seeding, Pot 2 is assigned for (Asia, North America & Oceania), Pot 3 (Africa & South America) and Pot 4 (Europe).

Based on that scenario, projected pots are:

1. Brazil, Spain, Germany, Argentina, Colombia, Belgium, Switzerland, Uruguay.

2. Japan, Australia, Iran, S Korea, Costa Rica, United States, Mexico, Honduras.

3. France, Chile, Ecuador, Nigeria, Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Algeria, Ghana.

4. Holland, Italy, England, Portugal, Greece, Bosnia, Croatia, Russia.

Interesting, no?

:?
What's the point of this? Why not a totally random draw?