The Road

SuperStalin

Just seen "The Road" with Viggo, Charlize, Robert Duvall... based on the rather good novel by Cormac McCarthy No need to delay the verdict, it's the worst kind of movie,
one that could have been a masterpiece, but it turned out to be pathetic. Patches of great moviemaking
with bunches of cliched moralizing. The movie is a vast contemplative emptiness which should've been
filled with the story about a father and his son, but the acting and screenplay are not up to that task.

Just about to start reading the book (once I've finished The Rising) Didn't even know they were making a film of this until I heard a radio advert last week promoting it's release. Going by your review I'll just take my time with the book and wait for it on DVD ...

I don't live far from where Cormac McCarthy grew up, sadly his childhood home burned down last year. I've heard the film doesn't do the novel justice, but I will probably see it anyway, as I'm sure it's still better than most of Hollywood's drivel. Hopefully Todd Field doesn't ruin Blood Meridian.

As it turns out, I've also recently seen the french movie Le temps du loup which some say inspired Cormac McCarthy to write the novel "The Road" ( which in turn inspired this lacklustre movie ).

Anyway, this french flick is very similar, although with more characters, a lot more subtle about its post-apocalyptic theme, with characters who act quite a bit more 'human' than those in The Road.
It's a long, slow movie, leaving a lot to be desired, but in a weird way a better companion to McCarthy's novel.

I'm just about finished reading The Road. Interesting book to say the least, dunno how I'll feel about seeing the movie :p

Read the book and didn't really think it was worth Pulitzer Prize material. His unique style of syntax is so hard to follow I sometimes didn't know which character was saying which lines. Also, the book tended to drag along toward the latter part of the middle, in that nothing major really happens.

I actually read the book beforehand just for the movie, but totally forgot it was released and have yet to watch it, although I heard it wasn't that great.