Ownership Verified: The "RS" stands for "Really Slow"

God damnit, this thread is so making me want to never spend another penny so I can save up and buy a Viper ACR or something else of this level.

Maybe I can afford a really used one or something...

Last edited:
Forget saving your pennies for the car -- save your pennies for tires... I just ordered my sixth set of Hoosier R6s and my street tires are getting close too.

hoohoos.jpg

Last edited:
Forget saving your pennies for the car -- save your pennies for tires... I just ordered my sixth set of Hoosier R6s and my street tires are getting close too.

hoohoos.jpg

Seriously. Tires are expensive. When I got my car I had the grand plans of modifying it. Little did I know that I would spend all that money on tires. Well that is the price of speed. One of my competitors proved the hard way that suspension gets you no where without the rubber.

God damnit, this threat is so making me want to never spend another penny so I can save up and buy a Viper ACR or something else of this level.

Maybe I can afford a really used one or something...

Rule of thumb: cars like these you should never 'save your pennies' to obtain, you should have well an excess of cash so the cost of ownership and maintenance of these cars (nevermind cost of new tires for the track, wheels, and extra parts' should be extravagant but acceptible expenses. Just wait til youre in the full money making swing in whatever professional career youre in, oh yeah and make sure not to get married or have kids ;)

Bottomline: if you have to work too hard to buy a car like that, it shouldn't be bought.

Seriously. Tires are expensive. When I got my car I had the grand plans of modifying it. Little did I know that I would spend all that money on tires. Well that is the price of speed. One of my competitors proved the hard way that suspension gets you no where without the rubber.

and the wider and lower profile the tires, the prices go up exponentially. Don't ask me how much I had to spend on my rear pair of 275/35/19s, and they were the cheapest the tire store had in stock (Hankook Ventus) I dont' even want to think of the prices on actual european makes (Michelin, Pirelli, etc)

Last edited:
and the wider and lower profile the tires, the prices go up exponentially. Don't ask me how much I had to spend on my rear pair of 275/35/19s, and they were the cheapest the tire store had in stock (Hankook Ventus) I dont' even want to think of the prices on actual european makes (Michelin, Pirelli, etc)

you forgot speed. a while ago a friend went to get new tires for his '89 1.6 16v civic. the guy went to get some fitting tires, got in the car to ride it on the bridge, and noticed the speedo.

-"uhm, your speedo goes to 240, you make those speeds?"
-"not 240, but from time to time i take it to 200"
-"ah, then these tires won't suffice"

and went to get another set, twice as expensive :lol:

it's funny caus he keeps bitching about it :D

Isn't it the law he has to fit tyres which wont explode at the vehicles top speed?

don't know. might be just the owner's responsibility. according to the law, you can't drive faster than 120kmh anyways...

Isn't it the law he has to fit tyres which wont explode at the vehicles top speed?

It is, but bone lives in Belgium. The law there is some kind of general guideline people only adhere to when they feel like it.

Odd sizes make tires expensive, too. It was hard to even find anything in my last car's size (which was bizarre because it's a really common car here).

- still bitter about trading off a new set of tires with the Failtima

Last edited:
Have you considered buying ordinary GT3 ? Or didn`t even bother ?

Have you considered buying ordinary GT3?

Before I bought the RS I considered five options (in order of cost):
  • Keeping my Carrera S
  • Buying an '07 or '08 GT3
  • Buying a 2010 Carrera S
  • Buying an '07 or '08 GT3 RS
  • Buying a 2010 GT3

Keeping my old car was the cheapest approach, obviously, but I feel like I'd outgrown the convertible on the track. I really wanted to get something stiffer and lighter and safer. I also wanted to buy a car that I wouldn't feel silly putting track-focused upgrades on. Ever seen shell racing seats in a convertible 911? Me either.

I didn't consider a 2010 C2S for very long. That didn't seem like enough of a change to justify the money spent. I wanted a track car and figured GT3 or GTFO, right?

I ruled out the 2010 GT3 because they were (at the time) priced above MSRP in the marketplace and difficult to find. The few I did find which were unsold had disagreeable specs (full leather, satellite navigation, etc) that I didn't want to pay for or own. I also didn't want to deal with those silly centerlock wheels which are nothing but an expensive hassle for a track car. If I'd found a light spec GT3 with a modest options list I might have gone that direction, but the market was just too fresh with too many buyers and too few cars. I wish my car had some of the options that the 2010s have -- dynamic engine mounts and the iPod hookup particularly.

The 2010 GT3 market is what made the older cars such a bargain. There was a glut of RS cars on the used market as the allocation list for the 2010 GT3 RS published and owners sold their old cars to make room for their new cars. The previous owner of my RS sold it because he was on the list for a 2010 RS -- there was a lot of that going on and the used RS market was (relatively) reasonable as a result. It was a buyer's market.

I looked at several '07 and '08 GT3s as well as a few RSs. With the 997.1 the difference between GT3 and GT3 RS is tangible but minor. The RS is slightly lighter, geared lower, has a lightweight flywheel, no sunroof, was the wide ass, and more downforce. Those are all real things (well, except the widebody) but they're not huge differences. I'd have been happy with either car and I doubt I'm any faster in the RS than I would be in "just" a GT3.

I saw the RS more as a hedge against depreciation and to scratch my Porschephile itch. It was the '73 Carrera RS and the '93 RS America that I lusted over in my youth and having that RS in my garage just thrills me in a way that's difficult to explain. There's a heritage and a lineage there that warms my soul. That was worth more than a few dollars to me.

In the end it just came down to finding the right car at a dealer that was in the mood to negotiate. I got a great price in a smooth deal on a car that was almost exactly what I wanted. So I bought it.

I've put 14,825 miles on the car (1,059/month) and of those, 3,223 miles have been on the track (22%). Couldn't be happier.

Last edited:
I would have pushed Nugget toward the RS for one main reason (had he not already headed that way on his own).
The RS is slightly lighter, geared lower, has a lightweight flywheel, no sunroof, was the wide ass, and more downforce.
I love lightweight flywheels. The way a motor revs with a lighter flywheel is fantastic. The OEM flywheel in the (997.1, or 2007/2008) GT3 is 28.5 pounds. The 997.1 GT3 RS flywheel is 14.3 pounds. (source) For comparison, the OEM flywheel in my MX-5 is 16.2 pounds, and this was definitely too heavy for me. The flywheel in my car is 7.6 pounds. (source) I'd enjoy an even lighter flywheel in the GT3 RS (my MX-5's is pretty close to right - maybe a bit lighter would be nice).

A flywheel isn't worth the difference in cost between the cars, and Nugget could have installed it aftermarket. This is why I'm glad he chose the GT3 RS without my prodding. However, I likely wouldn't have pushed for the lightweight flywheel until after the warranty period on the car was done, as Porsche has been known to deny warranty replacements on GT3 engines that had the single mass flywheel installed aftermarket and failed.

Maybe a bit personal for the interwebs... but do you two work together or are married or something?

The reason I ask is just because between your forum interactions it just seems that way. :p

You don't have to answer if you don't want

:)

Thanks for clarifying!

We've been together about 8 years now. :)

Nice to hear that, because I thought it`s some kind of midlife crysis. Porsche and a younger lady. Hank Nugget Moody.:p