Ownership Verified: The "RS" stands for "Really Slow"

Nugget

Fuck Cancer
DONOR
Car(s)
GT3 RS, Cayenne, Bugeye Sprite, Portofino M
I traded my convertible in for a coupe back in September but I've been holding off posting a thread until I had some proper photos to attach. We were out at Texas World Speedway last weekend and managed to get some good shots, so here goes. I'm bouncing in anticipation for tonight's new TG series and I figured that posting here would kill some time while I wait.

I bought this car used from a dealer in Nashville and had a great road trip home. I've only been to the track three times with it, and was rained out during one of the days. Still need to buy 18" track wheels and some appropriate tires.

My 2007 GT3 RS (click photos for larger view):

The RS is quite a bit more fun on the track than my cabriolet. It's easy to discern the tighter chassis and lighter weight. I'm still a bit spooked by the car, though, and I'm actually slower than I was in the old car. In time I'll get the hang of it, I'm sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol:

BTW, are the orange/amber parts the same hue as Chicken McNuggets?

I think that you are slower because you were used to a slower car that needed more throttle; now you have a vehicles that needs less input, but by habit you are driving like it was the previous vehicle.

Does that make sense?

Sort of.

since i have never driven more than 115 MPH i suggest you take it to a course and try to drive it as fast as you can and then drive it a little faster.

Congrats on owning my favorite Porsche! I really love the RS as it's light and meant to be fast and responsive on the track. I can only dream of having one of those in the future!

Oh, and how did the fight with the silver Viper end?

That silver Viper was fast. Its driver clearly knew how to handle the car. Nugget doesn't know the RS well enough yet to keep it in front of the Viper. :( (I was driving the green MX-5 in the second image and was in the same run group as Nugget and that Viper)

The RS is amazing to drive on the track. I alternated between giggling, grinning, and trying to catch my breath when Nugget let me drive it at one of the area tracks. :)

Beautiful car is beautiful.

Love the car, my boxer brother! Glad to see you drive it like it's meant to be driven :)

Is it your daily driver?
Yeah, I use the RS as my daily driver, although the crappy roads here in Houston can make that a bit of a challenge some days. Every time I toy with the idea of picking up a beater for my commute to work I have trouble drumming up any enthusiasm for the plan. It's just hard to imagine going to the garage and willingly choosing to drive the other car when the GT3 is parked right there.

He ate my lunch. That guy was seriously, seriously fast -- and he was on R6s. I didn't stand a chance, especially since I was driving so poorly. I need a lot more seat time in the GT3 before I'm going to be competitive in the advanced run groups.

I think that you are slower because you were used to a slower car that needed more throttle; now you have a vehicles that needs less input, but by habit you are driving like it was the previous vehicle.

I'm not quite sure I really understand what you're saying. In any event, I'm slower in the GT3 because I'm being too timid on the gas and braking too early. I know that some people (I'm looking at you, equiraptor!) can hop in an unfamiliar car and start tossing it around right away but I'm wired a bit differently. For me it's a slow path towards finding comfort in an unfamiliar vehicle and I'm really reluctant to drive near the limits before I have a very good feel for where those limits are.

The GT3 has a firmer suspension that exhibits less body roll. The PS2 Cup tires have little tread (less flex under cornering). It's got semi-solid engine mounts that don't allow the engine to shift nearly as much under cornering. All of those things contribute to a car that has much higher limits but a lot less warning when those limits are reached.

In the C2S Cab I was accustomed to being able to feel the engine start to shift as I corner hard, and the tires flex and the body start to roll a bit. All those barely-perceptable cues were how I knew the back end was about to drift out (intentionally or not). Those cues are all so different in the GT3 that I'm just not comfortable yet at the speeds I was happy to drive in the old car.

I did about half my sessions with an instructor and mostly got to hear the instructor telling me "you can be at full power here" "more power" "more power" and me feeling like the car was about to fly into orbit and not feeling safe with anything more than just maintenance throttle until I reached the apex of the turn. It was humbling, and it's a tough one to get past, but if my experience with other cars is any indicator I'll slowly get there as I gain familiarity with the car.

I find that TWS is a particularly tough track for this, too, since the speeds are so high. Some more time at a tighter and more technical track will be a lot easier for me.

Next event is Harris Hill Road in late January, so the season's over for me until next year.

Nice car. Nicher license plate.

How was running TWS CW? In all my times out there I have never actually run it in the CW configuration. How does it compare to the CCW?

Also congrats on the car. It is my personal favorite car made today.

edit:
Just had a look at your car history. I approve!

Last edited:
Must....not.....start......rant.....on American car prices

:blowup: