The RWD extremist thread

RWD for the summer, AWD or 4x4 for the winter.

RWD V8 Sedan

223909_4117397947760_1637484243_n.jpg

I <3 Powerslides

Except when its raining here I can hardly accelerate without losing traction.....

Last edited:
RWD for the summer, AWD or 4x4 for the winter.

angry-no-jpg.6984

(even if I'm doing that at the moment). :p But yeah, I'm childish enough to want the car to fight with me over control, all the time. I'm getting increasingly bored even if the ix has rear biased awd system. You just need too much speed to play around town safely. Granted, it's more fun on an ice track, but everyday fun is where it's at for me so RWD FTW OMG WTF and all that. :D

I think beating just anything else off the line on snow / ice makes AWD also pretty fun in Winter :)

Just think about sitting in a Subaru Justy and leaving an M5 in the dust at the lights ;)

Well, if you're in to that, sure. I can out-accelerate most cars in the winter, but the traffic light GP isn't really for my liking.

RR layout > all your base. Fact.

RWD is just more fun. I will probably go with AWD for my next car in a few years for practicality reasons, but getting out onto a snow-covered open empty space and hooning around it sideways is just so much fun.

What i've never got though, is the guy that'll point at my car and tell me it's crap, because FWD cars are superior on snow...
do FWD owners confuse FWD with AWD?

RWD is fun if you want to steer with your right foot and look at the road through the side windows. Can't argue that. Also nice if you want to stay on top of things at all times and always be "in control". The car talks to you and leaves you to decide what to do with available traction, etc.

What "the guy" probably means is that FWD is superior to RWD for normal driving in winter conditions. You know, driving 30 minutes to work in the asscrack of dawn with zero interest in going sideways, especially in the middle of overtaking something. In town, you have better traction off the line because you have more weight over the driven wheels. In deep snow, FWD is better at eating through the stuff because you aren't pushing a pair of dead wheels in front of you. FWD also gives you more ways to find traction because you can steer your drivewheels.

Of course, AWD beats anything. "Downside" is that speeds are much higher when you are dicking around because you are powersliding AND accelerating at the same time. Then if you are a noob you get scared and lift off, and get bitten by the snap return slide. RWD leaves much more room for error.

I was commuting 30 minutes into school and work in a Sierra for many years. I certainly do not miss having to overtake slower vehicles with an egg under my foot to avoid breaking traction when the road surface was bad. In the FWD 850 GLT I had after that I could just gun it and not care, because breaking traction didn't mean instant oversteer at 90km/h and certain death. :D Empty snowy parking lots wasn't really as fun anymore though...

Last edited:
I see some people still have their priorities straight here. :)

RWD all the way!

Also going sideways in winter FTW :D

I think i still have a video of when I drove through ~2ft of snow drifts on some dirt road - fun times :)

Sex,... you're not doing it right.

:dunno: