The RWD extremist thread

RWD certainly isn't the best but it is certainly the most fun.

I thought about picking up a Quattro for the winter months but not being able to drift it ruins the fun. :p I was out in the rain in the Mustang tonight and did significant wheel spin at every single red light I hit.

Then again there's this girl at the local Cars & Coffee that has a 530 HP Audi S5. :drool: She can spin all 4 wheels in 2nd gear. :lol:

PUVCE.jpg

Then again there's this girl at the local Cars & Coffee that has a 530 HP Audi S5. :drool: She can spin all 4 wheels in 2nd gear. :lol

I hope you got her number. Phone, plates, or VIN.

Do explain...

Sorry, I meant best from a safety aspect, especially in low traction conditions, as opposed to from a fun aspect. Front wheel drive and especially all wheel drive will allow you to get traction where you might not be able to with RWD.

I'd still rather have RWD though. :)

Front wheel drive and especially all wheel drive will allow you to get traction where you might not be able to with RWD.
Keep entire drivetrain layout in mind when comparing 2WD cars, IMO. Rear- or mid-engined RWD can have significant weight over the rear tires, helping it gain traction. You do still have the "breaking traction with power means oversteer instead of understeer" safety issue, but the weight distribution is improved for RWD. :)

old Bugs are great on snow, rear engined, RWD :p

And my book from my driving school, actually tells us RWD is better than FWD when slippery, when ya can't get up a hill, a FWD car is supposed to reverse up to simulate RWD.

Count me as a pro-RWD guy. I once contemplated the idea of a FWD daily driver because of availability, but eventually rejected it and will never again consider FWD. Its not for the lack of trying, I've driven significantly more FWD vehicles than any other layout but even for snow driving I greatly prefer RWD and its only AWD that I accept as better than RWD for snowy driving. Even the good FWD cars I find are just not as good as similarly as good RWD cars. I don't like the front heaviness and I really hate torque steer.

Keep entire drivetrain layout in mind when comparing 2WD cars, IMO. Rear- or mid-engined RWD can have significant weight over the rear tires, helping it gain traction. You do still have the "breaking traction with power means oversteer instead of understeer" safety issue, but the weight distribution is improved for RWD. :)

I had an old rear engined ?koda before I had my driving license and it was badass at finding traction in the snow. :D I never drove it on streets (obviously) but I'm also told it could bite your head off if you didn't know what you were doing. Much like an old 911...

It's nothing but a big pile of crap and rust - but on days like these I just love it :)

578452_480425262021774_28688318_n.jpg

Agreed, love it in the snow, worked better in the mountains than I expected, had to be quick with the steering though.

20130202-DSC_5365.jpg
20130202-DSC_5330.jpg
20130202-DSC_5346.jpg
20130202-DSC_5350.jpg
20130202-DSC_5359.jpg
20130202-DSC_5361.jpg

:mrgreen: