The secrets behind the names of places

Somebody get these people copies of the book and DVDs. You've no idea what you're missing.

^ Meh, it's just not anything I'm interested in - that genre isn't anything I care for.

I've watched around 15 minutes of Lord of the Rings once - and believe me, I couldn't turn it off fast enough.

I've watched around 15 minutes of Lord of the Rings once - and believe me, I couldn't turn it off fast enough.

The third movie won 11 Academy Awards!

But back to the thread topic, my home town is named from the local Koori word for the sound of waves on the shore.

Last edited:
I usually read paperbacks and only buy books in a sale or when I get a discount on them.

But I recently bought an anniversary edition of "Lord of the Rings" for 98 Euros. That's enough said, I guess ;)

But if people are not up for epic stories, then I can't help them :p

http://img140.imageshack.**/img140/8531/world10004403514qc0.jpg
http://img296.imageshack.**/img296/4162/europe10004504894ff4.jpg

Funny... according to that I live in the "Land of the Free" :D

Too bad some of you have not read all four LOTR books (yes, I included The Hobbit). They are a bit dull about 60% of the way through, then get fantastically good at the end.
It just amazes me how much descriptions and detail there are in them. The movies did not have to add anything; they are all there in the books.

Right now I'm so smothered by commentaries made on Romanian poetry, so I don't feel like reading anything until we muddle through it all.

And honestly, some of our greatest poets seemed to have created their poems just to complicate the lives of the ones trying to find the true meaning of whatever they wrote.

Could be worse. You could live in "Stink Onion"...

Seattle has no original name? Really? :?

Seattle has no original name? Really? :?

It was named after an Indian chief, Chief Seattle. So Seattle is the original name.

Meadow of the dog (Prairie du Chien)
Bearing (Portage)
Meadow of the Bag (Prairie du Sac)
Melts into the Lake (Fond du Lac)
The Stick (La Crosse)

I think that a more correct translation of Fond du lac is : bottom (or foot) of the lake.
Fond here is not from the verb fondre (to melt) but rather means bottom or foot.

BTW i am from the city of boatmen : which is confirmed by the arms of the town :
120px-Paris_coa.png

Does anyone have this map of the Balkans?