Ownership Verified: the Shentars' First motorcycle - Ninja 500R

Shentar

Car(s)
06 Porsche Cayman S, 90 Miata
My g/f has been wanting a motorcycle for a while, and I was firmly against it. It didn't seem safe or reasonable for the Bay Area, but she really wants one. After 6 months of talking about it, I decided that I needed to deal with my fear of motorcycles in such a way that I would be more comfortable with her getting a bike. I took the MSF course and got a license, and I had a pretty good time. I was pretty scared, but after a little bit, I was more comfortable on the bike. I also had fun learning about bikes and watching vlogs. She wanted a Suzuki GSX-R600, but I felt that was too much for a beginner. We want sport bikes, but I knew that was a doable, but a poor choice for a first bike. She has ridden dirt bikes and was on a Hyabusa once, but I have zero experience. She talked about a Suzuki SV650, but I was nervous with that size of bike as well. After a talk with Altoid, I started looking at Ninja 500Rs. I was more comfortable with this after having read about them. After a few discussions with the g/f, we decided that something like a 500 would be good to start with.

So this popped up on Craiglist last week, and I jumped on it.

qoWMal2.jpg

GeehRiL.jpg

vHVQMrZ.jpg

3JZ7DXd.jpg

And the proof shot:
cnom1A2.jpg

I really liked the yellow/orange color. We both did a little test drive on her and we decided that I would ride it home. So on a Friday around 4pm, during rush hour, we headed home... directly onto the freeway. Made it home with no problems in bumper to bumper traffic. I didn't lane filter, but thought about it. I stalled it a few times, and I didn't drop it :)
So now we have a motorcycle. A 2nd bike for me will come along in time, and I'm sure she will sell this to buy her SV650 once we both have some time under our belts. Till then, here she is.

A Porsche, a bike, AND a reasonable girlfriend! Living the dream, man! :lol:

Congrats on the bike, looks good, I like the color. My wife wants her own too, she'll be taking her riding lessons next year I hope,
and till we get her her own bike, she'll ride mine (ours?). Interesting thing is that most driving schools have the same bike for teaching riding, so she should be familiar with it once she's done.

:thumbsup:
This looks so 80's. Love it.

Great color combo indeed. And 'a bit' more sensible option than than what I went for. :lol: I only have experience of the Suzuki equivalent on that class, but it was a fun and nimble ride indeed. Hope it'll serve you well.

A Porsche, a bike, AND a reasonable girlfriend! Living the dream, man! :lol:
True story. :mrgreen:

Looks like a great buy Shentar. Glad you found something you and your girl can agree on. And once you're comfy on that Ninja 500, you're gonna love an SV650. Heh or even an old GSXR600.

Congrats, nice bike. I'd take Spectre's advice on those frame sliders. There's no guarantees that you'll drop it, but if you do those plastics will be a bugger to replace.

He is right. It was a great bike that myself and my wife learned to ride street bikes on. I changed the brake pads and rotors on it, change the front wheel bearing (mostly because I put the front wheel together wrong), put LED lights in the gauge cluster, changed the spark plugs, wires, air filter, and rebuilt the carburators. I'd never worked on a carb, and I really enjoyed doing that. The bike was not only a less on how to learn bikes, but work on them!

Enjoy the bike, Altoid: https://forums.finalgear.com/post-your-car/ita-s-fucking-yellow-alright-altoida-s-ninja-500r-61967

xS1LTdg.jpg

fDzfETy.jpg

kv8vwdU.jpg

Last edited: