The "Should HAWT get a Saab thread"

Car(s)
'96 Honda Accord Sedan
Okay, Ye olde Honda's just about had enough, and I'm thinking about getting a early-late 90's Saab 900/9-3. Mostly because I'm looking for something about the size as my current Accord, a hatchback would be fantastic, they're pretty easy to find with a stick and a turbo, and I really like the idea of owning something that there isn't 1000 of in your town.

However, what I'm wondering is how often it would break down in comparison to your average Honda? I understand breaking down every so often, but would it be to the extent that the repairs on the car would be enough of a hassle to not want it? Does anyone know of any other unforseen circumstances that would end up screwing me over (ie getting crap shipped from Sweden everytime it breaks down)?

I've thought about some of the "hot" 9-3's a couple of times, aero or even a viggen (there are few around) but the interior is relatively uninspiring and seems like a lot of powre through the front wheels.

They're great cars, especially on the highway. A friend had a '94 9000CS Aero, with the big turbo 4, and that thing really hauled. Yes, its wrong wheel drive, but it really knew how to hustle once it was on the go; between something like 40-90, it would out-run a late model 911 Turbo.

My dad's had a first gen 9-3 since new. It's a lovely car, very comfortable and great on the motorway. However reliability hasn't been great, there's a design flaw in the turbo meaning we're on our 3rd after 130,000 miles.

dunno about reliability, but those old Saabs (especially the Turbo ones) are dead cool to have.

My 94 900 2.3 has never let me down in the 5 years I've owned it. When it comes to these cars the best things are that they are rarely bought by morons who thrash them and they will normally have a full service history.

If your looking for more infomation check out SAAB central on the web, good resource for all things SAAB. :)

isn't the awd system in your audi (if yours is a awd model) heavily front wheel bias anyway

As all Quattro's (save for the new RS models) it's a 50:50 front:rear torque split under normal conditions. To be honest I would have prefered an FR vehicle but at the time I couldn't find one I liked that fit my budget. Although considering it tends to rain here quite a bit a force induced (inductioned?) FR would probably not be the best choice.

P.S. AFAIK all Audi cars in the US are Quattro.

My 94 900 2.3 has never let me down in the 5 years I've owned it. When it comes to these cars the best things are that they are rarely bought by morons who thrash them and they will normally have a full service history.

If your looking for more infomation check out SAAB central on the web, good resource for all things SAAB. :)

I'm going to look at a 1995 Saab 900 2.3 tomorrow.

And most things I've read here seems to be right, the owners aren't cunts, but people who regularly service their cars. A 300k KM car isn't that unusual. Plus they're cheap to buy too.

Biggest down sides are that they use a lot of fuel, and that service (parts too) might be expensive (i think).

I've done a bit of research, but yet to read everything :)

As all Quattro's (save for the new RS models) it's a 50:50 front:rear torque split under normal conditions. To be honest I would have prefered an FR vehicle but at the time I couldn't find one I liked that fit my budget. Although considering it tends to rain here quite a bit a force induced (inductioned?) FR would probably not be the best choice.

P.S. AFAIK all Audi cars in the US are Quattro.

No, unless it has a quattro badge on it, it's FWD. There may be a couple of exceptions.

From what I've seen from the Audi site, Quattro is an optional extra. Besides, on a daily basis, the benefits of AWD and RWD is barely noticable. It's not like you are going to be power sliding in the middle of the streets. FWD does have it's benefits and it can be good to drive if it's setup properly.

No, unless it has a quattro badge on it, it's FWD. There may be a couple of exceptions.
Well yeah I know that it has to have a Quattro badge :)
From what I've seen from the Audi site, Quattro is an optional extra.
Yes it appears that you are correct, I haven't seen a non Quattro Audi on the road though so I thought that Audi doesn't bother with FWD cars here.
Besides, on a daily basis, the benefits of AWD and RWD is barely noticable. It's not like you are going to be power sliding in the middle of the streets.
Then what's the point of driving? ;) (obviously I'm joking, I'm not insane. Yet.....)
FWD does have it's benefits and it can be good to drive if it's setup properly.
The benefits are mostly in price/economy. From a performance point of view there are very few benefits to a FWD over RWD and other than weight none over AWD. This is more of a personal preference though, I absolutely hate the idea of FWD and don't ever want to drive one.

AWD to me is a compromise between peace of mind you get in an FWD and performance in an RWD.
[/offtopic]

Getting back on topic, if you are fine with an FWD and have no problem with it then I Saab is a decent car. They do tend to have good amounts of power and are fairly rare making them much cooler :)

Last edited:
the benefits of AWD and RWD is barely noticable. It's not like you are going to be power sliding in the middle of the streets.

Really? Never ask why we may call you canucks boring from time to time.

Okay, Ye olde Honda's just about had enough, and I'm thinking about getting a early-late 90's Saab 900/9-3. Mostly because I'm looking for something about the size as my current Accord, a hatchback would be fantastic, they're pretty easy to find with a stick and a turbo, and I really like the idea of owning something that there isn't 1000 of in your town.

However, what I'm wondering is how often it would break down in comparison to your average Honda? I understand breaking down every so often, but would it be to the extent that the repairs on the car would be enough of a hassle to not want it? Does anyone know of any other unforseen circumstances that would end up screwing me over (ie getting crap shipped from Sweden everytime it breaks down)?
We've had SAABs since 1989 and not one of them has ever broken down. They're very reliable. Our current 9-5 Aero has racked up 186400 miles without a single complaint. Just treat them properly and they won't let you down. Goes for all cars though.