The show is becoming predictable

3141592ab

Is anyone else tired of Tanner always winning? I know he is the best driver but it is ruining the believability of the show. One of the other two needs to win every once in a while to keep it interesting. I would rather wonder who is going to win than how is Tanner going to win.

Hopefully between this season and the next one (if there is one) either Adam, Rut, or both get race licenses or training so that the next season is more random.

Predictable? You know you're on a forum where members can tell you that the primary show (UK) has the same issue, trust me, I'm a fan too. Don't think it applies to only the US.

I think of Tanner as the stig he is the one that will push the cars as far as they can. It is a bit sad that they have to rig the rewashed UK challenges, but it is somewhat enjoyable.

I think they should just stop with the whole "And the winner gets too... What they should do instead is take the bit at the end of the show and stick it in the middle of the show as a stand alone segment to break up the action of the challenges.

Only problem with that is there is no Test Track anymore or Stig, so you lose all continuity. I don't care for that, but if someone hasn't seen the show before they might be thrown off.

Hopefully between this season and the next one (if there is one) either Adam, Rut, or both get race licenses or training so that the next season is more random.

Yes, please! :nod:

I'll be honest; Tanner always getting to do the racing/fast-driving is getting a bit bothersome for me, too. I mean, what's the point of declaring an overall challenge winner if you know Tanner's always going to end up driving, you know? Why not just have Adam say in the opening voiceover, "Now, on Top Gear... (describe main challenge here), and Tanner (describe his racing/driving challenge here)."?

(Yes, I know in the first half of S3 Rut won a challenge, but he didn't get to do the driving; he simply rode shotgun with Backwoods Stig.)

have you forgotten the challenge when rut won in the diesel volks? ended up being him or adam in his diesel truck on the trip from oregon (i think) to california

Yes, the show may be predictable but it is getting better every season. It seems that people forget how long it took TG UK to get into its modern stride. For me they took near five seasons to become something I wanted to watch. They may be copying TG UK but what child doesn't want to be their idol? Every episode of TG US just gets better for me.

I admit I miss the Uk version of "The News." What I don't miss on TG US is SIARPC. I can barely watch it in most TG UK.

Anyway. Just sayin that top gear this side of the world just needs to be given a chance. If TG UK only went their first 3 seasons it would have been trash. In my opinion at least.

Yes, the show may be predictable but it is getting better every season. It seems that people forget how long it took TG UK to get into its modern stride. For me they took near five seasons to become something I wanted to watch. They may be copying TG UK but what child doesn't want to be their idol? Every episode of TG US just gets better for me.

Anyway. Just sayin that top gear this side of the world just needs to be given a chance. If TG UK only went their first 3 seasons it would have been trash. In my opinion at least.

That's what irritates me too. Everyone I see bitching about TGUS online, particularly here and r/topgear, are comparing the current season of TGUS with the current season of TGUK. Really you should compare TGUS to TGUK from season 3. Comparing it to a show that's had 8 years to age and grow is a bit unfair.

I admit I miss the Uk version of "The News." What I don't miss on TG US is SIARPC. I can barely watch it in most TG UK.

News probably won't ever happen on TGUS since they film the show months in advance. If they did news it'd be 6-8 months old by the time we saw it.

Is anyone else tired of Tanner always winning? I know he is the best driver but it is ruining the believability of the show. One of the other two needs to win every once in a while to keep it interesting. I would rather wonder who is going to win than how is Tanner going to win.

I feel exactly the opposite, 'ruining the believability of the show'. If Rutledge or Adam were to win in a race with similarly specced vehicles I would be taken aback and not believe it. Tanner is a world-class driver and Rally/RallyX champion, he is by far and away the best driver of any Top Gear presenter on any series in any country.

If Tanner were to start throwing races and losing, that's when it would start to be unbelievable to me. Is it predictable? Sure, but that's different than believable. It doesn't hurt that Tanner is my favorite driver (personality wise), and on top of that, it's pretty hard to argue that he isn't the most entertaining to watch hooning. He can do tricks with cars that the other two simply can't. The other two don't do ridiculous donuts and burnouts in Ford Duallys, they probably aren't skilled enough.

For example, Tanner was simply the best choice to test the MP4-12C against the stock car. The other two would have been absolutely destroyed, whereas Tanner was able to at least compete. (for what it's worth, I thought the test was a little silly. Put the MP4-12C and the stock car on a track with corners and see who comes out on top)

have you forgotten the challenge when rut won in the diesel volks? ended up being him or adam in his diesel truck on the trip from oregon (i think) to california

(Yes, I know in the first half of S3 Rut won a challenge, but he didn't get to do the driving; he simply rode shotgun with Backwoods Stig.)

Does anyone else watch these episodes and say, " What the hell is this crap?" I know I'm not the only one. I watch the show in hopes that I'll end up liking it, but I just feel awkward. YES I SAID AWKWARD! I didn't even know that was possible. The hosts are just lame. To their credit they aren't horrible, but still lame in my opinion. You have a racecar driver with as much personality as vanilla pudding, a comedian who thinks he's a funny comedian, and a auto journalist who's name sounds like the place where all of the local snobs go to play a few rounds of golf. I don't expect it to be like the UK version because no one can compare to Jezza, Hamster, and Capt. Slow, but our guys on Top Gear aren't nearly as sarcastic, funny, or nerdy as they should be. It's like being a kid and expecting your mom to give you a delicious piece of cake, but instead she gives you a sugar free jello cup and says, "its better for you." It tastes kind of ok, but the only real reason you eat it, is because you don't really have a better option. The hope is that the guys end up clicking. The belief is that the show will seem less scripted and become better. The question however, is why should we (the fans) continue to want them to?

What you need to understand is that TGUK has ALWAYS been popular,even when I was at school (I'm 48). This idea that the early shows were neither entertaining nor much watched is rubbish.The shows has always been one of the BBC's most highly viewed, even at its most basic.So yes it IS fair to compare the UK version with the US version, as in nearly every respect the TGUS has been given the winning formula on a plate,whereas the British version had to,as it were, test drive the product since 1977.
In many respects I still prefer the programme from the days of William Woollard and co.
What isn't fair is to draw comparisons with the early series of Top Gear (UK) and compare them with current versions (UK&US) as they're totally different animals!!

Does anyone else watch these episodes and say, " What the hell is this crap?" I know I'm not the only one. I watch the show in hopes that I'll end up liking it, but I just feel awkward. YES I SAID AWKWARD! I didn't even know that was possible. The hosts are just lame. To their credit they aren't horrible, but still lame in my opinion. You have a racecar driver with as much personality as vanilla pudding, a comedian who thinks he's a funny comedian, and a auto journalist who's name sounds like the place where all of the local snobs go to play a few rounds of golf. I don't expect it to be like the UK version because no one can compare to Jezza, Hamster, and Capt. Slow, but our guys on Top Gear aren't nearly as sarcastic, funny, or nerdy as they should be. It's like being a kid and expecting your mom to give you a delicious piece of cake, but instead she gives you a sugar free jello cup and says, "its better for you." It tastes kind of ok, but the only real reason you eat it, is because you don't really have a better option. The hope is that the guys end up clicking. The belief is that the show will seem less scripted and become better. The question however, is why should we (the fans) continue to want them to?

Bite me, you whiny brat...

Relax buddy, don't take it personal. Just putting my opinion out there. :pDo you work for TGUSA or something?

From that sorry post, it sounds like you haven't even watch the show and have a hard time accepting that there should be an American version.

Last edited:
From that sorry post, it sounds like you haven't even watch the show and have a hard time accepting that there should be an American version.

I have watched the shows, and I DO want an American version. I just wish it would be better. TGUSA needs its own identity for sure. No point in trying the "copy and paste" method, but take the good points of TGUK and make it our own. There aren't any real car reviews for the average person, no auto news, no exciting TG challenges, and if all that wasn't bad enough The Stig has no mystique at all. Just three mildly entertaining guys and one silent man in white. I don't hate the show at all. I just had higher expectations.

Reactions: MPH