The Space Thread!

We are the very fabric that holds the universe together.

That, and I think he's referring to this:

Quote comes in at 0:11

Last edited:
More tremendous luls:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJfBSc6e7QQ[/youtube]

Wow. I just don't know where to begin. I will grant them that the Earth is growing*, but not like that.

* Plant matters grows and dies and turns into more dirt which helps more plants grow. And since much of the energy is from the sun, more matter is grown than consumed so there is a net gain.

Wow. I just don't know where to begin. I will grant them that the Earth is growing*, but not like that.

* Plant matters grows and dies and turns into more dirt which helps more plants grow. And since much of the energy is from the sun, more matter is grown than consumed so there is a net gain.

That's not true.

Not with Monsanto plants.

Plant matters grows and dies and turns into more dirt which helps more plants grow. And since much of the energy is from the sun, more matter is grown than consumed so there is a net gain.

954-not-sure-if-serious.jpg

Its safe to say that comets that crash into Earth add to it's mass, but it's so tiny that to call it growing...? At the current rate we're probably sending more junk to space and leaving it there than that which crashes into us

We're not sending that much stuff that never comes back. Our current rockets leave over 90% of their weight on the planet and satellites on LEO de-orbit in a few decades max. I'd say that mother nature throws more stuff at us than we shoot back. I still wouldn't call it growing though.

The planet earth does not "grow" in the way the video shows. But it does grow due to the plant matter as I mentioned above. Don't believe me, explain why archaeologists have to dig down through layers of dirt that they can identify to get to fossils.

The planet earth does not "grow" in the way the video shows. But it does grow due to the plant matter as I mentioned above. Don't believe me, explain why archaeologists have to dig down through layers of dirt that they can identify to get to fossils.

Not sure if trolling? If not:

Sorry to break it to you but matter cannot form out of nowhere. It can be reorganized but not be created (not under the conditions here on earth anyway). A plant draws the material it uses from the earth and releases it again when it rots - no mass gets added. All the material that composes the dirt that covers the dinosaurs was there before it was dirt - just in another form, like rock or CO2.

Last edited:

Volcanos shooting up new matter that was previously hidden below ground?

But the mass of the earth remains constant... it just came up from below. Not to forget that dirt migrates- erosion.

Not sure if trolling? If not:

Sorry to break it to you but matter cannot form out of nowhere. It can be reorganized but not be created (not under the conditions here on earth anyway). A plant draws the material it uses from the earth and releases it again when it rots - no mass gets added. All the material that composes the dirt that covers the dinosaurs was there before it was dirt - just in another form, like rock or CO2.

I would normally guess trolling but saying it repeatably would indicate otherwise..

Not to mention being hit by solar energy and micro meteorites. ...

The earth is doomed, as it the solar system, and indeed even the universe! It is just going to take a very, very, very long time - well it will see me out.

586013main_image_2058_946-710.jpg

Using the Hubble Space Telescope, astronomers are witnessing the unprecedented transition of a supernova to a supernova remnant, where light from an exploding star in a neighboring galaxy, the Large Magellanic Cloud, reached Earth in February 1987. Named Supernova 1987A, it was the closest supernova explosion witnessed in almost 400 years. The supernova's close proximity to Earth allows astronomers to study it in detail as it evolves. Now, the supernova debris, which has faded over the years, is brightening. This means that a different power source has begun to light the debris. The debris of SN 1987A is beginning to impact the surrounding ring, creating powerful shock waves that generate X-rays observed with NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory. Those X-rays are illuminating the supernova debris and shock heating is making it glow in visible light. Since its launch in 1990, the Hubble telescope has provided a continuous record of the changes in SN 198

Wait wait wait... That happened in a neighbouring GALAXY and the Hubble is powerful enough to pick it up? :S