The Space Thread!

I really don't get that... if it's glowing so much, it's also radiating insane amounts of IR. Shouldn't that be enough to burn you?

Something something dissipation something the corners most contact area with cool air something.

Answer is in there somewhere

I really don't get that... if it's glowing so much, it's also radiating insane amounts of IR. Shouldn't that be enough to burn you?

They're probably not as bright as they look, since that room is pretty dark. Also, incandescent light bulbs also radiate lots of IR, but not enough to burn you unless you touch the glass itself.

SpaceX just re-used the first stage of a Falcon 9 for launching actual payload, the first stage returned to the same barge it returned last year.

Great achievement. How many times can they be reused? Im guessing wear and tear will make them unusable after a couple launches

The tube itself should be good for dozens of launches. Everything else should be rebuildable as needed.

Projections as stated by SpaceX themselves: the plan is up to 10 reflights with no or very minor refurbishment (on-location at the Cape or at Vandenberg), up to 100 for a core lifetime with multiple refurbishments at the factory. Their next goal in the reusability program is to re-fly a landed core within 24 hours of landing.

User termderd on imgur set up his camera 300m from the launch pad and set up a sound activated trigger. This was the result:

InTf1LQ.jpg

4k video of some of the views from the International Space Station!

Speaking of space, I've recently began involvement with this project that I think is pretty cool:

Link

From the Apollo 15 mission in 1971 onwards, every manned space flight has had a Nikon camera onboard. Here are a few time-lapse videos made using Nikon cameras aboard the International Space Station.

Those Aurora shots, the lightning strikes, it's amazing.

It's fun to try and identify which land you're flying over. That shot over the Nile at night is amazing.

Probably because, due to international treaties banning weapons in space, they aren't allowed to take cannons up there.

:p

You have waited all your life to get a chance to bring that joke, didn't you? :lol: