The Space Thread!

ahpadt

Forum Addict
leviathan;n3545616 said:
No, Elon confirmed in the press conference that landing burn ignition partially failed (single engine ignition worked, but transition to three-engine burn failed) and the stage splashed down at 300mph ~100m next to the drone ship, damaging two drone ship thrusters and spraying it with shrapnel.

This is their first failed landing in a while now. Might have something to do with extensive modifications carried out on the core (he mentioned they had to "almost completely redesign" the center core for the Heavy). At least it survived a high-speed re-entry despite only having aluminum grid fins and targeted the drone ship correctly. Not actually hitting the ship is part of the fail-safe flight profile - the landing stage always approaches off-target, and only shifts course onto the landing pad/ship once the landing burn fully ignites, to prevent a full-speed crash from damaging the landing target.
Apparently the centre core ran out of the liquid which ignites the engines. Solution = add more liquid.

Like others, I had a massive goose bumps moment when I sat on my own watching the test flight for the first time. Particularly the dual 1st stage landings.

Last edited:

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
GRtak;n3545950 said:
It is on the back lot. It costs money to keep moving a prop that big around to get the scale right. ;)
:lmao:

ahpadt

Forum Addict
Big bump but I came across this while browsing the interwebs and thought it was worth sharing;

Eye-Q

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
None anymore...
So, anyone trying to catch a glimpse of comet Neowise? Unfortunately here in Hamburg the light pollution is too high even around a nature reserve in my vicinity so it's very faint over the horizon and I don't want to stay up until 3 in the morning. Maybe tomorrow night I'll ride a bit further northwest to avoid the light pollution from the parts of the city north of me...

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)
2020 Tesla Model 3, 1990 Discovery 1 Bobtail
So, anyone trying to catch a glimpse of comet Neowise?
Sadly we had complete cloud cover last night, despite the entire day being clear. The back of the house faces NW so there would've been a chance of seeing it.

Early on in lockdown I was watching the chains of Starlink ducklings going over at night, it got to the point where they were still passing over after 10 minutes and I got bored.

Eye-Q

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
None anymore...
Apparently Voyager 1 reached 150 AU (astronomical units) from the sun today.

The probe has been launched on September 5th 1977 (this means it's older than me, I was born in 1980) and it is still active, albeit it's radioactive thermoelectric generators will run out of juice some time next year. That's a hell of a lifespan though for such an early probe. Just think about the computing capacity of the thing, for today's standards it's laughably low, but it still is active. That's a hell of an achievement.