• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

The state of LPG

Ripplin

Car(s)
2003 VW Golf TDI
I was just watching the episode of Fifth Gear this afternoon where Quentin talked about the merits of liquified petroleum gas (LPG). That was a couple of years ago now, so I'm wondering about the current state of LPG.

Does anyone here use it? How popular (or unpopular) is it? Is it still as readily available as it seemed to be then? What changes have been made as far as its availability, compatibility and government refunds for conversions?

I don't know about LPG but here in my country Bangladesh, some 20% (and rising everyday) of the cars use CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) which is around 5 times cheaper than petrol.

Only problem is our gas reserves are not that big and we wil run out of it in 2011. :roll:

my insight is that LPG is kinda dying. a few years back a lot of people made the transistion, new tankstations popping up everywhere, but that's kinda over. since the first hybrid got released, no one is talking about LPG no more

I know in the netherlands they've sold more LPG, installation kits for cars this year and last year then the 4 years before that. Here it's a alternative for diesel. People that travel under 20000 km a year and above 13000 should take LPG and above 20000 diesel and under the 13000 they should take normal petrol as those would be the cheapest. And at the gasstation where I work every saterday we sell LPG and it still sells pretty good. It's just not as widely available as normal petrol because of the strict laws and restrictions concerning the installation. IE no homes in a radius of 100 meters around the station and so on.

euhm, diesel engines can't run on LPG ;)

you can have LPG-diesel combo, but then it still runs on diesel, and a little bit of LPG is added to get a better combustion (and lower emissions). but you could as well use nitrous for that, would have better results as well

you can also have your engine rebuilt to make a spark, and have higher compression, then it will run in lpg, but won't on diesel no more... (and i think this is quite pricy)

The last year fuel prices went up quite a bit over here and then LPG-installation companies were saying on television that there was more ask for it than they could handle...
Hybrid doesn't seem to break through over here, mainly because diesel is quite a lot cheaper than petrol and modern diesel engines have very good economy, and are getting better to the environment every day. Hybrids still have the problems of heavy, polluting and degrading batteries. I read an article in a magazine which covered a test with a diesel, petrol and hybrid car through europe. The hybrid wasn't very popular as it mostly ran on petrol anyway since the batteries went empty very quickly.

Bone however, seems to be saying something different although we live in the same country... :)

LPG has been doing well in Asian countries... I know for sure in Hong Kong and Malaysia, all taxi's are running on LPG. And in Australia... (well in melbourne at least), 99%of the taxi's run on LPG and the government is really encouraging people to convert to LPG and its working quite well... alot of salesman and stuff have converted LPG cars

About which hybrid are you talking? The Prius or the RX400h? It seems to make quite a difference in the RX.
I always thought that the problem with LPG was the Lubrication and the higher combustion temperature. I know someone who went through 3 engine's in his Volvo within 2 years. He thought the LPG conversion was poor, but his driving style wasnt so suited for LPG anyway.

CyberMonkey said:
Bone however, seems to be saying something different although we live in the same country... :)

well, i was thinking the same thing reading your post

hybrids didn't break through indeed (like in the rest of the world), but do you think lots more people made the transition to LPG? i can't remeber LPG being mentioned in the media once in the past year.

when it first came up, lots of petrolstations added it to their line of pumps, but the once who didn't initially, still haven't. so i don't think it's gaining popularity. and i don't know 1 person who drives on LPG

and since bio diesel is getting mentioned more and more, and results of tests done by the government are released, i think we'll see much more increase in these instead of LPG installations not far from my house they're already growing large quantities of "koolzaad" (transl :dunno:)

bone said:
CyberMonkey said:

well, i was thinking the same thing reading your post

hybrids didn't break through indeed (like in the rest of the world), but do you think lots more people made the transition to LPG? i can't remeber LPG being mentioned in the media once in the past year.

when it first came up, lots of petrolstations added it to their line of pumps, but the once who didn't initially, still haven't. so i don't think it's gaining popularity. and i don't know 1 person who drives on LPG

and since bio diesel is getting mentioned more and more, and results of tests done by the government are released, i think we'll see much more increase in these instead of LPG installations not far from my house they're already growing large quantities of "koolzaad" (transl :dunno:)

sorry for the not-dutch-speaking people :)
Meer vraag naar LPG-auto's

BRUSSEL - De bouwers van LPG-installaties worden naar eigen zeggen overstelpt met aanvragen van automobilisten die hun voertuig op de veel goedkopere brandstof willen laten rijden.
23/08/2005

this comes from standaard.be, but I don't have an account to check the whole article. But I do remember the tv news covering this too in the wake of hurricanes, troubles in Iraq, in fact almost every time when there was a major spike in fuel prices.

I just ran that Dutch article through Babel Fish and here's what I got:

"More question to carcar cars BRUSSELS - the builders of installationinstallation installations are showered to own say with applications of motorists who want let their vehicle on the much cheaper fuel drive"

Carcar. :D

well, LPG is fairly big in Australia (and costs 40% of the price of petrol, where I am at the moment, petrol is about $1.10-1.20 a litre, and LPG is about $0.50 a litre), because we have fairly large reserves of it, larger engined cars (the two most popular cars in Australia both have large six cylinder engines as standard), and the low popularity of diesel in passenger cars.

As said, it's really popular in taxis, and it's pretty much available nationwide, although in many country areas, it would be a bit harder to find, so most LPG powered cars here run dual fuel (so they can be switched back to petrol at any time). The consensus is that LPG is less powerful, and uses more, but you still come out in front financially if you do a lot of kilometres or drive a larger car.

Reliability, well, I guess some cars are better suited to it than others, but the most popular taxi in Australia (the Ford Falcon) is known to cope very well with LPG, and many, many taxis have been known to run up to a million kilometres on it.

We've actually had two LPG powered cars in this house, the first one we got in 1990 (and LPG was about $0.15 a litre, I think petrol was about $0.60 at the time), and then another one in 1995 (which we got rid of in 2002).

LPG is a relatively good fuel, but for small cars which don't use a lot of fuel, it's probably not worth it, because it'd take too long to recoup the cost of the conversion.

Ripplin said:
I just ran that Dutch article through Babel Fish and here's what I got:

"More question to carcar cars BRUSSELS - the builders of installationinstallation installations are showered to own say with applications of motorists who want let their vehicle on the much cheaper fuel drive"

Carcar. :D

Not just carcars, carcar cars! :D

On the subject of LPG in the UK, it seems mainly Land Rovers [more specifically Defenders and old Range Rovers] that have had the conversion. How odd.

And LPG isn't that widely available, so it's not an option for most people.