The Stig: The Stig Caught on Google Streetview

Hahaha I thought it was the real stig, until I read the info.... ;)

Maybe it is! Some say he can sense google streetview cars and that he loves staring at the traffic... all day... everyday... All we know is hes called the stig!

it started the other day and people are complaining that its a breach of your personal security since the images can 'apparently' see through the windows of homes.
of course, one person bitches about something and then you have all those human rights, politicians, freedom nutjobs all jumping on the bandwagon before they actually think things through. google had already said that if someone's home appears on the map, they are willing to remove it.

back on topic, if thats the kind of quality that a cardboard cut out of the stig can do... i wonder if it could be repeated... i feel a evil plan coming on /rubshands and dr evil laugh.

Certainly James' house has been missing from Streetview for at least a year, as that's how long ago I discovered Streetview. And where James lives :p
But there are also other streets in London where house views have been removed, so I don't think anybody needs to panic about civil rights infringements ;)

Out of curiosity, what is put in place of a house that is "missing"? Can you actually tell (e.g.obvious pixilations), or do they just put in a vague amorphous blob? Or perhaps they would imaginatively replace it with a small park or wooded area?

I can't say I've ever looked at Streetview and thought "Hmmm, there appears to be an unnatural gap there. Clearly someone has removed a house".

Certainly James' house has been missing from Streetview for at least a year, as that's how long ago I discovered Streetview. And where James lives :p
But there are also other streets in London where house views have been removed, so I don't think anybody needs to panic about civil rights infringements ;)

I have an idea where he lives, but to be honest...I'd feel creepy looking up one of the presenters houses on Google Maps. :p

I have an idea where he lives, but to be honest...I'd feel creepy looking up one of the presenters houses on Google Maps. :p

I had 5 months stuck in the house with a broken leg, you can only watch so much TV/DVDs/read so many books/look up your friends' residences/your own old residences ;)

Thing is, I had something to send to James so i sent it c/- his agent, as the man's private home is his private home. I've never been near his house and I never will. Nor the other two, and I've actually driven through Chipping Norton! :p

Guess the google cars have come down my street recently. My jeep was gone (I do drive sometimes) and my neighbors jeep was visible. Heck, one of the neighborhood fellows can be seen clear as day, shirtless, looking at the car like WTF?

A year ago, the map for my street was ancient, sort of upset its recent now.

Now, if I knew where Richard lived... JK.

Last edited:
Sorry, the double post occurred thanks to the power flickering on and off... we have been hit by 2 storms, 3rd and 4th appear to be worse.

Out of curiosity, what is put in place of a house that is "missing"? Can you actually tell (e.g.obvious pixilations), or do they just put in a vague amorphous blob? Or perhaps they would imaginatively replace it with a small park or wooded area?

I can't say I've ever looked at Streetview and thought "Hmmm, there appears to be an unnatural gap there. Clearly someone has removed a house".

It used to come up on screen with something like "this view has been removed at owner's request" or whatever.
What happens now is, you just can't position the little orange guy in front of that particular property. I was looking for a friend of a friend's place in Kensington and the place next to it I just couldn't "stand" in front of it.
Whilst I was laid up last year I saw the Google earth van come around our area, but there's still no street view and the aerial shot is still the old one, so I dunno what that was all about! I know they must have a backlog of images to load, but surely not 12 months' worth? :|

defo not a cutout, on the earlier link you can see from 2 images that he is standing like ll AND l\ (legs) maybe he wondered what the car was, it did look funny:)

Loch Stig Monster

i think its been a plant, i.e. looking where the google car would have been and getting the stig there, unless those 2 cars were genuinly being tested by topgear?

Ha! The Stig's now been pixellated out!