The Stig Was Arrested!

wooflepoof said:
That's what I've been trying to tell people, it's only the south that's like that. Get rid of the south and we have a good country! :lol:

Yall can get rid of the rest of the south but WE gave the world Dr.Pepper..and Fritos. And probaby the calculator you used on your SAT :)
Dr.pepper tastes like week old coke with something awful put in it...

And my Texas instruments calculator broke...

I bet it was the buttons that went...they use leaf springs, you know.

(had to say it)

wooflepoof said:
That's what I've been trying to tell people, it's only the south that's like that. Get rid of the south and we have a good country! :lol:

Yall can get rid of the rest of the south but WE gave the world Dr.Pepper..and Fritos. And probaby the calculator you used on your SAT :)
*checks back of his trusty TI-83 Plus...*

It says, "Made in Taiwan" :tease:

I guess America isn't the only country that discriminates against tame racing drivers. After all, the Stig got arrested in Scotland too.

*checks back of his trusty TI-83 Plus...*

It says, "Made in Taiwan" :tease:

bet it was the buttons that went...they use leaf springs, you know.

(had to say it)

And my Texas instruments calculator broke...

I hate you. I hate you all :lol:

Just one disclaimer at the start, I've never been outside the US (Despite a desire to) so most of what I know of comes from here or the media or the people I have met from elsewhere.

That said, there are alot of things about this country that I like and dislike. The things I love about living here are probably the same things that you love about living wherever you do. Everyone loves the people, food, recreation and work that they grew up around. Like someone said earlier, I love the fact that I can drive to just about any climate without leaving my country. Alot of the time I wish I could do it faster legally, but thats just cause I like driving fast sometimes.

I'm not a huge fan of our current government, and definetly don't like the current administration. Its fairly clear that alot of other people in our country agree, since the last two presidential elections have been two of the closest on record. Alot of people are ignorant and just believe what they are told, which is unfortunate, but I imagine its true in other countries as well.

While I'm kind of indifferent on the whole gun control issue, I will say that (and this depends on where you live) a large majority of Americans have never even held a gun, not to mention thought of purchasing one. Like was said before, with proper motivation, one can aquire anything, be it guns, drugs, booze, bomds, or fluffy kittens (if they were banned). Please reference one of the bigger atrocities to occur on US soil in the recent history, Columbine. A couple of 16 year olds managed to get a hold of a veritable arsenal of weaponry without even a hint of warning. So the gun control thing is kinda tricky, and there are pretty powerful arguments for both sides. Its mostly that the people who do own one and really care about it, are the most outspoken about it. Everyone wants to have it their way. Which is my biggest gripe with the US in general.

Everyone feels like everyone elses business is their own here. Are you gay and want to get married to your lover? Too bad, some self rightous christian conservative is worried about you showing his kids that its allright to be gay, so its not legal. Want to smoke pot? Too bad, someone has decided that its going to destroy the country, despite the fact that its very clearly less drestructive then Alchohol. There is an endless list of stuff here that isn't allowed because one group of people have decided that its immoral for them, so its gotta be immoral for everyone else, and hence illegal.

However, when it comes down to it, in general people are quite kind, generous and intelligent, despite different beliefs. Yes, you won't always get along with everyone, and there are plenty of assholes in the world, but you'll find them in every reach of the universe (I'll say that till someone proves me wrong). But for your everyday experience, unless you are looking for the crappy people and experiences, you'll find that just about anywhere is bearable, and many are downright awesome once you get to know it a bit. I've lived in several different parts of the US, and can say that in alot of ways its almost like moving to a different country. I imagine it would be less of a culture shock for me to move to the UK then it would be to move to the Southern US.

Hehee......bringing this thread back into a semblance of Top Gear like talk, I think you Brits have it better when it comes to cars. Just watching Top Gear (fairly religously I might add) and FIfth Gear, I grow jealous constantly, even for such lowly cars as a Ford Focus or something else in its class. I can't tell you how much I would love to see a TVR or a Noble in person, not to mention having the chance to own one. The British car culture is just so much more rich and vibrant and cool. Maybe I'm seeing greener grass on the other side, but just that makes me want to spend time over there.

Hehe......ok.......its late and I'm ranting on a bit too much, so I'll stop there. I just felt a need to react to this thread a bit and put in some words. We were getting a few people who were showing fairly extreme views earlier, and I decided to show some other ones and some less extreme views too. I do think that most Europeans would find plenty to like here and would feel less awkward then you might think, just as we would if we came there. Just promise that you'll try not to think of all of us as Texans, as its a whole another world. It would be like us thinking that all of you all were Cockney tounged Football hooligans or something.

Cheers,

JH

p.s. For the bloke who did the "18 US states" post. Its just Georgia, New England isn't a state its a region, and its spelled Massachusetts. Other then that you did pretty well. Hate to say it, but you might have done better then alot of Americans. Oh well. -JH

Jeremy?s article doesn?t add up...

Jeremy?s article doesn?t add up...

The stuff Jeremy wrote/said about Stig?s arrest doesn?t add up. He said that the Stig was arrested by solders for looking suspicious while walking in the Mojave Desert. But the Mojave Desert is the sort of place were you could chase a remote controlled Corvette with a home-made helicopter gunship and no one would look at you twice. He also said that the Stig was arrested by solders, but it?s illegal for federal troops to arrest people (see: Posse Comitatus Act). Unless they were on a military reservation, like...oh...say...that famous Mojave Desert landmark, Groom Lake, better known to the world as Area 51. Maybe the Stig is an alien?

That, and how on Earth does a TV crew get moved on in Las Vegas? They didn?t even move on Al-Qaeda. When the Mayor of Las Vegas was told that suspected Al-Qaeda operatives had been in town filming, he said there was nothing to worry about, and he was sure they?d had a good time while they were there.

I agree with much of what Mr. Clarkson wrote about our country. I can see why he focused on some of the more negative aspects since the US isn't exactly the most liked country as of late.

It seems America is ruled by a lack of common sense really. For example, I can legally drive a car anywhere in the country at 16. I would have proven to the state that I'm competent and responsible enough to be safe. Yet while driving around the country, I could happen to crash into a church bus filled with people and ruin a lot of peoples' days. At that age I'm also able to solo an airplane and be responsible for my life as well as all of those whose homes I'm flying over. Yet I have to wait five more years until I'm deemed responsible enough to go to the corner bar and enjoy a drink.

I agree with him calling the US a nation of paranoia. Look no further than the security situation. Every passenger getting on an airliner is searched like mad. Shoes still come off after a dismally failed attempt at terrorism that created a media circus. Honestly, you'd have to be a total fool to even think about trying that after all the attention it got. The really alarming thing is the fact that (the most recent figure I know of) only about 15% of the cargo coming into this country is ever screened by security. Which do you think is a greater risk: granny's knitting bag or whatever is aboard that container ship?

Their film crew being told to move on did not surprise me one bit. If people protesting at a political function can be told to move away, why not someone with a camera? I was unfortunate enough to see the political side of it happen in my own hometown. Mr. Bush paid a visit a number of years ago and thousands turned up to see him. This seems all well and normal except for one thing: the only ones allowed in to see him were registered Republicans. The Dems weren't allowed to be anywhere close. If I remember correctly, they were pushed back two or three blocks (out of camera range during the speech anyway). What all came of this? Just a handful of angry letters written to the local Republican party. Being denied the right to see your chief of state would probably spark riots in many parts of the world. Yet here in America people are content to just be led around by the leash. It's as it nobody really cares anymore, yet they all complain when something goes bad.

A crazy idea popped in my head the other week. I wondered how things would be if the United States was organized more like the European Union. Would things get better? Or take a turn for the worse?

Long time site-goer, first time poster. Please be kind. :)

KaJuN said:
A crazy idea popped in my head the other week. I wondered how things would be if the United States was organized more like the European Union. Would things get better? Or take a turn for the worse?

Long time site-goer, first time poster. Please be kind. :)

Don't know about that. The problem with EU is that there are couple of members that are too strong. So you have constant rivalry between some and the others just kind of float in the wind.

US may have bad leadership, but at least there is leadership. in EU there isn't really. It's OK if you are just an economic union as EU started out, but things got a bit more complicated.

All I'm saying is that a bad leader making bad decisions is better than no leader and no instant decisions. The EU is a great place to live, but I don't know if it will become a serious competitor in the future.

p.s. welcome, since I'm the first to reply :welcome:

LoL I read some of thiis post and got a laugh the bit that interests me is some1 saying Americans don't know world geography because it is not on there door step and most Europeans could not list more than 3 US states of the top of my head I think I could go for 30+ and proberly find 20+ on the map and like Austrailia isn't on my door step either but I do know where it is on the map and trust me on this I am convinced it ain't in Europe, but for pple who like to see the average American on the street 1st hand here is a couple of links I pertically like the war on terror should be Iran on the next stop because hhmmm...............there is a revolution going on pretty soon :lol: :lol:

www.aztlan.net/stupid_americans.htm
www.metacafe.com/watch/142898/ignorant_americans/

^ These people may not representative of Americans but you have say that these particular people were very very ignorant. More people who choose Hollywood in the Hollywood vs History battle.

KaJuN said:
It seems America is ruled by a lack of common sense really. For example, I can legally drive a car anywhere in the country at 16. I would have proven to the state that I'm competent and responsible enough to be safe. Yet while driving around the country, I could happen to crash into a church bus filled with people and ruin a lot of peoples' days. At that age I'm also able to solo an airplane and be responsible for my life as well as all of those whose homes I'm flying over. Yet I have to wait five more years until I'm deemed responsible enough to go to the corner bar and enjoy a drink.

I have to agree with this. The reason why the driving age is 16? Its a leftover from the time when America was largely rural and at 16 you needed to be able to legally drive for a farm to function. Same reason why American schools have 12 weeks instead of 8 for vacation.