The Tennis Thread

Brother Michael

Car(s)
-02 BMW 530d Touring M-Sport
Let's see how many there are besides me. This is the place for all the tennis talk.

This season has been...well, interesting so far. Nadal has been just devastating so far, even more than I thought he would be. And add to that Federer's decline just seems to continue more and more.

The Madrid Masters will be getting under way next week and then it is only a short wait 'til Roland Garros. If he can keep fit and uninjured, it'll be a clean sweep for Nadal. Djokovic has been the only one so far to be able to push the Spaniard on clay, but even he is miles behind Rafa.

But for me Wimbledon this year will be the most highly anticipated event of the season. Can Nadal pull of the unexpected and take another one-two ? No, I just don't see it happening. Can Federer reclaim his crown ? Umm...nnnno, don't see that happening either. But he has to do it in order to get back on track. I am confident that if Roger doesn't grab Wimby this year, it'll be all over for him when it comes to breaking Sampras' 14 Major titles record. I am 100% certain he will match it with one more US Open, but 15...won't happen unless he can go all the way on SW19.

And as for the seemingly impossible; Nadal taking home the calendar year Slam....uhh...no way. He can do it, he has the game, he has the tools to pull it off. But for it just seems a bit too surreal. 3/4 maybe, but US Open will be his downfall.

I occasionally watch tennis because my mum is really in to it, but the last tournament I saw was that one near Palm Springs, California.

But for me Wimbledon this year will be the most highly anticipated event of the season. Can Nadal pull of the unexpected and take another one-two ? No, I just don't see it happening. Can Federer reclaim his crown ? Umm...nnnno, don't see that happening either. But he has to do it in order to get back on track. I am confident that if Roger doesn't grab Wimby this year, it'll be all over for him when it comes to breaking Sampras' 14 Major titles record. I am 100% certain he will match it with one more US Open, but 15...won't happen unless he can go all the way on SW19.

Yaaay tennis. I'm looking forward to Roland Garros, but I can't wait for Wimbledon either. I definitely want Federer to take it out, or at the very least, anyone but Nadal. I can't help being impressed by Nadal, but every time Federer loses to him his confidence seems to take a giant hit and he declines a little more. Plus, I really don't want to see him cry again. :blink:

Anybody else actually play tennis? Or is this just the professional Tennis thread. Back in junior high I was a very competitive player, I never won any tournaments, but I was pretty good. I have to say, I still enjoy going out and whacking the ball around. I play often enough I still know how, but I've forgotten all of my old bad habits :)

And as for the seemingly impossible; Nadal taking home the calendar year Slam....uhh...no way. He can do it, he has the game, he has the tools to pull it off. But for it just seems a bit too surreal. 3/4 maybe, but US Open will be his downfall.

I think he just might do it this year. At the moment he is dominating.

Anybody else actually play tennis? Or is this just the professional Tennis thread. Back in junior high I was a very competitive player, I never won any tournaments, but I was pretty good. I have to say, I still enjoy going out and whacking the ball around. I play often enough I still know how, but I've forgotten all of my old bad habits :)
I used to play for my high school team...actually became team captain, but since college i have taken a year off due to college activities taking priority :p

Since then i've been geting back at it...not as good as before but i definately agree with the bad habits part...i lost alot of my bad habits so i think my strokes are actually cleaner now. Just not as powerful or consistent <_<

As for pro tennis..havent really been watching...i think Federer's decline is due to the pressures of being top for so long. Plus every player began to analyze his game and how to beat him. I think it will be only time before he falls from the top, unless he drastically changes up his game.

Wow.....what a match between Nadal and Djokovic today. I am staggered about the level of tennis played. Especially the 3rd set tie break, absolutely mind blowing tennis.

Wow....just....wow....no words....wow...

Tennis News

BBC Sport said:
Stars play under Wimbledon Centre Court Roof
Wimbledon saw play take place under cover for the first time on Sunday in a star-studded event to test the new retractable roof over Centre Court.

Andre Agassi, Steffi Graf, Tim Henman and Kim Clijsters played mixed doubles and singles matches, watched by a crowd of 15,000 as rain fell outside.
Article continues

BBC Sport Wimbledon News <--- International version, so hopefully videos should play outside UK

:)

Huge bump, I know. But this is a very special occasion. The saddest day of professional tennis since Andre Agassi's retirement is upon us:

Tomorrow, on Wednesday the 11th of November, Marat Safin will with all likelyhood play his final match on professional circuits.

Yes. One the most entertaining, most exhilirating and inspiring players ever to have lifted a racquet, is leaving the game. Some might say he is a wasted talent and sure he never lived up to the expectations the large crowd had, but 2 Grand Slam titles, 5 Masters shields and ATP number 1 ranking under his belt is hardly a disappointing career for someone who wanted to play soccer instead.

Especially when you consider he got through the two greatest players of all time in their primes on his way to his titles: beating Pete Sampras in 2000 US Open final and Roger Federer in the semifinal of 2005 Australian Open, one of the greatest matches in the history of tennis.

Marat Safin may not be the best player to replicate your game on, or the best of rolemodels with his way of life, but what he is though, is an inspiration. He has always lived his life to the fullest, always by his own rules. And he has taken us with him every step of the way, showing his emotions openly on and off the court, always telling things how he sees them and always being himself.

Marat never cared about the other man's opinion, he never really could be bothered about the pragmatic and spartan way of the modern day sports star. He decided to have fun instead. He even said himself if he had to go and practice for 6hours a day, day in and day out, he would give his racquets away after three days and say "Keep those, I've had it".

And all this time he has remained humble. He has never ever proclaimed he is the next coming of Jesus, never shouted out and bragged about his womanising adventures (which he has had a lot), he has never been caught uptight and stuck up.

And that, my friends is the most important quality in a man. I admire him as a player but even more as a person.

It's been a tough road, lots of ups and downs. At times it's been difficult to root for him...sometimes almost painful. But the joys more than make up for it. A true artist, in every sense of the word.

Davai Marat, you will be missed.

I still remember when he beat Agassi at the French open when his career just started and thinking that he will do well. I can't believe he's about to play his last match. :(

Huge bump, I know. But this is a very special occasion. The saddest day of professional tennis since Andre Agassi's retirement is upon us:

Tomorrow, on Wednesday the 11th of November, Marat Safin will with all likelyhood play his final match on professional circuits.

Yes. One the most entertaining, most exhilirating and inspiring players ever to have lifted a racquet, is leaving the game. Some might say he is a wasted talent and sure he never lived up to the expectations the large crowd had, but 2 Grand Slam titles, 5 Masters shields and ATP number 1 ranking under his belt is hardly a disappointing career for someone who wanted to play soccer instead.

Especially when you consider he got through the two greatest players of all time in their primes on his way to his titles: beating Pete Sampras in 2000 US Open final and Roger Federer in the semifinal of 2005 Australian Open, one of the greatest matches in the history of tennis.

Marat Safin may not be the best player to replicate your game on, or the best of rolemodels with his way of life, but what he is though, is an inspiration. He has always lived his life to the fullest, always by his own rules. And he has taken us with him every step of the way, showing his emotions openly on and off the court, always telling things how he sees them and always being himself.

Marat never cared about the other man's opinion, he never really could be bothered about the pragmatic and spartan way of the modern day sports star. He decided to have fun instead. He even said himself if he had to go and practice for 6hours a day, day in and day out, he would give his racquets away after three days and say "Keep those, I've had it".

And all this time he has remained humble. He has never ever proclaimed he is the next coming of Jesus, never shouted out and bragged about his womanising adventures (which he has had a lot), he has never been caught uptight and stuck up.

And that, my friends is the most important quality in a man. I admire him as a player but even more as a person.

It's been a tough road, lots of ups and downs. At times it's been difficult to root for him...sometimes almost painful. But the joys more than make up for it. A true artist, in every sense of the word.

Davai Marat, you will be missed.

Sounds like another Kimi R?ikk?nen :lol:

Edit : I'm not a massive tennis fan, but I have been following Roger Federer's progress for the past 2 years or so.

Last edited:
nole-majami-triprsta.jpg

AnaiJelena.jpg