Unveiled: The Teslerr Model 3

The idea of taking a vehicle to get places is stupid in the first place, all it does is create congestion and wastes valuable space that can be used for something better. Why not dump the whole stupid shit altogether and concentrate on creating teleportation instead? No more having to huddle together in cities/towns, could live in the middle of nowhere and never be out of touch.

LOL.

687474703a2f2f7777772e74726f6c6c2e6d652f696d616765732f6675747572616d612d6672792f63616e742d74656c6c2d69662d73696e636572652d6f722d6a7573742d6265696e672d7361726361737469632e6a7067

The internet keeps you in touch.

But not physically, I can't get a pizza from a browser a person has to bring it

- - - Updated - - -

I will just leave this here

That's totally fine and true but the difference is market vs government, if Tesla (or Ford or Toyota) put out a desirable product that works for people it will be bought, if the government says "no more dino burners come 2020" that's a completely different thing.

- - - Updated - - -

A little bit of both, I would love to have instant transportation and a bunch of random roads that are only there for recreational driving as long as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
The sarcasm part is that this is simply unrealistic given the technology and energy involved and would be considered completely untenable but things like hyperloop and solar freaking roads get a ton of support despite being just as untenable.

Last edited:
Why would you need a hybrid then? If you have synthetic fuels, you can just stick with an ICE and screw the expensive hybrid part... you'd still stink up the cities with NOx, particulate matter and all that stuff. Can't change that, despite the fact that your synthetic fuel is theoretically CO2-neutral.

You wouldn't, but the people that like to smell their own farts might want it.

"Television won't be able to hold onto any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night." ?Daryl Zanuck, co-founder of 20th Century Fox

Once again https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias

This was supposed to replace traditional ICE https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Turbine_Car ever seen one drive down the road?
Have some examples of other failed technologies.
http://www.computerworld.com/articl...he-hype--the-21-biggest-technology-flops.html
https://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/28/11-epic-product-failures-of-consumer-technology-giants.html#slide=1
http://time.com/4704250/most-successful-technology-tech-failures-gadgets-flops-bombs-fails/

P.S. People did get tired of a wooden box in their living room, which is why entertainment consumption has been rapidly moving onto portables and internet services. I have not had traditional TV service for 5 years already, I only recently got a TV like service (like a week ago) through Direct TV now on my Roku.

Last edited:
Seriously, when I read the last few pages of this thread I know why I don't visit Finalgear anymore...

I usually don't. This was a mistake.

I cannot fathom why people are so emotionally invested in hoping someone else fails, someone who has literally zero effect on them in a worst case scenario.

"Television won't be able to hold onto any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night." ?Daryl Zanuck, co-founder of 20th Century Fox

?Segway will be to the car what the car was to the horse and buggy.? - Dean Kamen

16 years later, the Segway is a niche product and shows no signs of ever taking over from cars.

"Two years from now, spam will be solved." - Bill Gates in 2004, promising that Microsoft (through Windows/Office among other things) would solve the problem via what is now known as the Sender ID Framework.

So, anyone here ever received spam in the last 13 years? Yes? What? Bill Gates promised it'd be solved!

Last edited:
I usually don't. This was a mistake.

I cannot fathom why people are so emotionally invested in hoping someone else fails, someone who has literally zero effect on them in a worst case scenario.

Maybe its because of where I live, maybe it's because of what I research, but I'm inundated with friends and acquaintances asking my opinions on Tesla and am often in an environment where people deride the idea of having a petroleum-powered car. It's nauseating. If people want a Tesla, fine, just stfu about it, I don't need to live in a real-life episode of south park.

You know, I can't imagine why people would want to eliminate tail pipe emissions.

HfMDdw1.jpg

This is my city for about half the year. Stepping outside is about the same as smoking between a half-a-pack and two packs of cigarettes a day in the winter (depending on the day).

So yeah, I'm all for having cars that don't produce this shit. And before anyone says anything, the air here has been the subject of much study, since we are regularly the worst in the country. The vast majority of this pollution is from cars.

I agree. Lord knows there are enough polluting things on the planet already. Like with Apple, the people having seething hatred for them are roughly as annoying as the rabid fans themselves. If Tesla gets indicted over shitty accounting another manufacturer will want to try to be the next Tesla and the hate will move that way.

Meanwhile, I will sit here hating the Model 3's dashboard, which seems to be an affront against UX.

You know, I can't imagine why people would want to eliminate tail pipe emissions.

HfMDdw1.jpg

This is my city for about half the year. Stepping outside is about the same as smoking between a half-a-pack and two packs of cigarettes a day in the winter (depending on the day).

So yeah, I'm all for having cars that don't produce this shit. And before anyone says anything, the air here has been the subject of much study, since we are regularly the worst in the country. The vast majority of this pollution is from cars.

I grew up in Los Angeles, I'm well aware of smog and understand that it is a problem. That being said, I wouldn't put the entire blame on petroleum powered cars since the CARB has been able to successfully alleviate the issue in LA prior to popularity of EVs.

Enacting vehicle smog checks is much easier to enforce than an outright ban of petroleum powered engines. In addition, regulations on heavy-duty vehicles like semi-trucks and trains are very effective at reducing PM 2.5 emissions (something that modern cars produce very very little of).

We have yearly emissions checks. Like I said, this issue has been thoroughly studied in my area, over 70% of this crap comes out of tail pipes. You might not blame cars, but everyone who has studied our air does. This is post-CARB standards, post Cash-For-Clunkers. It is a serious problem. LA has the benefit of being on the coast with daily winds due to the temperature differences between the land and the sea, their air changes more regularly than valleys here in the mountains. We get inversion layers that trap all the pollutants down on the ground, it takes a major storm to stir the air up and blow the crap out. After a day or two, the inversion layer is back again and the cycle repeats.

You don't realize how much pollution there is until you are sitting in it for weeks at a time; the same way most people probably don't realize how much they shit until there is no way to dispose of it.

You mentioned trains and heavy trucks, I guess it's a good thing Tesla is working on an electric heavy truck to address some of that. Trains are already hybrids and move cargo very efficiently when compared to trucks, but I'm all for the electrification of that system too - especially if it is coming from clean renewable sources.

We get inversion layers that trap all the pollutants down on the ground, it takes a major storm to stir the air up and blow the crap out. After a day or two, the inversion layer is back again and the cycle repeats.

Ummmm... You do know that the natives called the Los Angeles basin the Valley Of Smoke and that you just described conditions there, right? Smoke (as in from a cooking fire or a burning building) can hang around in the air trapped in the basin for days. The problem is that the mountains that completely surround LA trap all the air (and smog) in there, you get inversion layers, a standing wave as in a pickup truck bed sets up and none of the crap gets out. Or a high pressure cap forms and nothing gets out there either.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, I will sit here hating the Model 3's dashboard, which seems to be an affront against UX.

If I were looking to buy a BEV in the near future, I'd probably get the Bolt over the 3 for this reason. Well, that, and I like the regen paddle idea that the Bolt has.

I like that the bolt is a hatch. I know that most people who are Tesla Model 3 fans deride it for not being a "sleek sedan" but that's mainly the "hatchbacks are for poor people" American bias that results in such style challenged vehicles like the Fiesta Sedan.

While I admit that I'll miss the stuff that makes a engine powered car special IMO, the lack of a shit ton of maintenance items on a EV is a definite benefit for most people, including myself.

If I were looking to buy a BEV in the near future, I'd probably get the Bolt over the 3 for this reason. Well, that, and I like the regen paddle idea that the Bolt has.

Those regen paddles I never quite understood... I am a much bigger fan of what Nissan has advertised for the new Leaf with the e-Pedal or whatever they called it. Literally one-pedal-driving... as in you take your foot off the pedal and you'll run into maximum regen. I will admit that means having to change your behaviour in the car quite a lot compared to an ICE vehicle, but I like the approach much more than having another dedicated button for it somewhere.

Regarding the tesla, the amount of regen is just software anyway, right? So I don't see why Tesla wouldn't be able to have a switch somewhere inside that "affront to UX" (hehe) enabling something very similar to the Leaf... although they haven't done anything like this for the S or the X, have they? Can you choose the amount of regen somewhere?

Can you choose the amount of regen somewhere?
You can manually set that in the menu. :) It's a little bit weird at first, but after some practice one-pedal-driving is very easy. As a result I only use the brakes to come to a full stop or if something unexpected happens.

On the Tesla Model S and X it is possible to choose between normal and low regen, in the user interface. Tesla drivers say they do a lot of one pedal driving. It is even possible to choose if the car should creep forward, like a ICE with auto-transmission, or not when the driver releases the brake at standstill.

Edit: Too late

Last edited:
Those regen paddles I never quite understood... I am a much bigger fan of what Nissan has advertised for the new Leaf with the e-Pedal or whatever they called it. Literally one-pedal-driving... as in you take your foot off the pedal and you'll run into maximum regen. I will admit that means having to change your behaviour in the car quite a lot compared to an ICE vehicle, but I like the approach much more than having another dedicated button for it somewhere.

Regarding the tesla, the amount of regen is just software anyway, right? So I don't see why Tesla wouldn't be able to have a switch somewhere inside that "affront to UX" (hehe) enabling something very similar to the Leaf... although they haven't done anything like this for the S or the X, have they? Can you choose the amount of regen somewhere?

AFAIK, the Bolt and Teslas are all configurable. You can set the car to either coast when you lift off the accelerator, or you can have it employ some regen. I like the idea of the Bolt's paddle, because then you can set the pedal to mild regen and the paddle to strong regen, giving you more granular control. :)

Although to be fair, I haven't driven a Bolt or any of the Teslas, so I don't have first-hand experience with either setup.