The "Things that annoy me" thread

I don't get why people can't just like what they like. Why can't people just agree that there's some things that are good about a PC and some things good about a system running OS X. I'm shocked that there aren't more people in the middle like myself - able to use Mac OS and Windows very well and can see positives of both.

I don't get why people can't just like what they like. Why can't people just agree that there's some things that are good about a PC and some things good about a system running OS X. I'm shocked that there aren't more people in the middle like myself - able to use Mac OS and Windows very well and can see positives of both.
We're a silent majority shaking our heads at the fanboys. Which is a shame because some of the "I'm a Mac" ads and the comebacks are actually quite clever, but completely ruined by all the bickering.

We're a silent majority shaking our heads at the fanboys. Which is a shame because some of the "I'm a Mac" ads and the comebacks are actually quite clever, but completely ruined by all the bickering.

Indeed :yes:

I try not to be a fanboy either (though I dislike Apple, I can logically debate the reasons and recognize their strong points). The early "I'm a Mac" ads bordered on ridiculous. One ad made fun of PC because it needed a RAM upgrade (Macs never need that :rolleyes:) and another made out that plugging in a USB webcam was a complex hardware upgrade.

While they may be effective, "clever" is not the word I'd use.

I try not to be a fanboy either (though I dislike Apple, I can logically debate the reasons and recognize their strong points). The early "I'm a Mac" ads bordered on ridiculous. One ad made fun of PC because it needed a RAM upgrade (Macs never need that :rolleyes:) and another made out that plugging in a USB webcam was a complex hardware upgrade.

While they may be effective, "clever" is not the word I'd use.

A few of the ad's did border on ridiculousness and half-truths, (some of which made me want to throw the remote at the TV) but the same could be said for a lot of advertising. :)

But hey, if you don't have an iPhone, you don't have an iPhone.

And if you don't have genital herpes, your crotch doesn't burn.

:dunno:

Last edited:
You asked for it :p
Well, not exactly. Otherwise I wouldn't have called the comebacks clever as well.

As for the webcam bit, I could never be arsed to research which webcam to buy for my Windows PCs, install the drivers, configure the thing for use with my preferred chat software and then try if it works. My laptop came with one installed and it worked straight out of the box with any and all software I tried it with.

But hey, if you don't have an iPhone, you don't have an iPhone.

And if you don't have genital herpes, your crotch doesn't burn.

Ooooh... using a virus to diss Apple products...

Is it a good idea?

:mrgreen: and ;) for good measure

Well, not exactly. Otherwise I wouldn't have called the comebacks clever as well.

As for the webcam bit, I could never be arsed to research which webcam to buy for my Windows PCs, install the drivers, configure the thing for use with my preferred chat software and then try if it works. My laptop came with one installed and it worked straight out of the box with any and all software I tried it with.

Is it a good idea?

The webcam thing is actually a really good example of misinformation. Webcams generally work out of the box with no configuration necessary.

Oh, and 90% of Windows laptops nowadays come with a webcam built in as well.

Last edited:

Is it a good idea?

Pretty much every PC laptop has a webcam these days and it also "just works." Not saying that iSight isn't a good thing (it is and I think the PhotoBooth software beats anything Windows PC makers try to include) but the webcam's indeed there. Windows Vista and 7 are good with aftermarket webcam's too usually.

To me, I think that the experiences that Apple can provide around the hardware is a advantage. Like PhotoBooth and the iLife apps for example. :)

The webcam thing is actually a really good example of misinformation. Webcams generally work out of the box with no configuration necessary.

Oh, and 90% of Windows laptops nowadays come with a webcam built in as well.
Good for them. The thing is, I will never forget how switching from XP to Leopard changed the way I use my computer. That was my defining moment. While I do appreciate that Windows has come a long way since XP, I still like Snow Leopard better than 7.

The webcam video was uploaded to YouTube in March 2007. I don't remember many laptops with built-in webcams from that time and additionally, those were the very days when Vista was driving people crazy with driver problems, performance issues and so many other diseases. So I don't follow when you call an ad from more than four years ago misinformation because the things it satirises have changed.

The webcam video was uploaded to YouTube in March 2007. I don't remember many laptops with built-in webcams from that time.

Webcam's were routinely optional on the "big" brand machines like Insprions and shit so you're right, the Mac had an advantage back then, and i still think does so today given the robustness of the software behind the webcam. :)

Good for them. The thing is, I will never forget how switching from XP to Leopard changed the way I use my computer. That was my defining moment. While I do appreciate that Windows has come a long way since XP, I still like Snow Leopard better than 7.

The webcam video was uploaded to YouTube in March 2007. I don't remember many laptops with built-in webcams from that time and additionally, those were the very days when Vista was driving people crazy with driver problems, performance issues and so many other diseases. So I don't follow when you call an ad from more than four years ago misinformation because the things it satirises have changed.

I have no doubt that any contemporary Mac OS was leaps and bounds ahead of XP. I really hate how I still use it at work.....

Misinformation was in regard to your explanation, not the ad. I didn't realize it was 4 years ago and can't really comment on webcam compatibility at the time as I don't remember.

At the end of the day, they're all stealing ideas from each other anyway. ;-)

Here's some randomness:

Last edited:
One thing to say about Mac laptops, they are tanks; my sister's Macbook has endured fall after fall and all her clumsiness and still works great. People can talk shit about either side but Apple sure know how to make a durable product.

One thing to say about Mac laptops, they are tanks; my sister's Macbook has endured fall after fall and all her clumsiness and still works great. People can talk shit about either side but Apple sure know how to make a durable product.

This is the reason I buy them. 3+ foot fall followed by me falling on top of it with my elbow? Even the lower model toughbooks aren't rated for more than a 3 foot fall.

things that annoy me: the huge dent in the body of my laptop :wall: <- is what the thing must have done at some point

I like certain Apple products, I hate the elitist-ism and the "look at my giant cock Starbuck-fucks."