The "Things that annoy me" thread

What annoys me most of all lately are people who walk up to the turnstile at the station, and then stand there as they fumble around in their pants looking for their ticket. Get your ticket out before you reach the turnstile dammit!

Get Nod32. On my machine it's currently using 0% cpu and 66MB of ram. During a full scan, cpu goes up to 30-50% and ram to 70MB.

E8400 CPU.

Microsoft Security Essentials is also good.

Last edited:

To be fair I ran for years (1994-2009ish) without anything, just occasionally installing some anti-virus to run a scan. Then I installed AVG for some reason, which was good for about a year then got really resource hungry. I switched to MSE some time ago. And the point? During all those years, with and without anti-virus, I've never had an infection.

What I?m saying is (basically) you always trade "protection" for "CPU/ram-usage" ... if a security suite isn?t slowing your PC down a notch ... it?s not doing it?s job. Of course good programmers will find a way to combine both (go bit-defender!) the best they can, but in the end the simple rule is and has been that for protection, you pay with performance ...

I fucking hate my boss dude. I hate him to the core.

I've made up my mind. I'm going to finish this work here and then I'm going to leave. Sign out. Contract over. I don't give a fuck fuck you.

First of all he's discriminatory. Not in a racist way but a sexist way. That may sound like something meek and pussy but it fucking hurts when the girls get all the attention and help and you're thrown the leftovers and treated like shit. I'm all about justice and equality, always have been, ever since we had to deal with these problems back in India and then after moving here.

Backstory here: my friend is a sikh. He used to have a turban and a beard. Sikhs are very gentle kind souls but with the spirit of warriors. They are not fucking terrorists. One dude wouldn't let my friend into his store. Do you know what the fuck I said to that dude? I called out his parents, his children, his testicles, and himself. Ripped him to shit right in front of his customers. I don't give a fuck.

Anyways back to the boss.

I got given a lot of help from his post-doc about generating correct uncertainties for aperture photometry. And he basically contradicted everything that my mentor censured me for on Friday. I got a lot of reading information and I was working all week long and trying to figure shit out and I'm ready to meet him today to talk to him about things.

He sits down, I explain to him about how I'm estimating my poisson noise for each pixel of the CCD and adding the uncertainties and the noise in quadrature to get an estimate of the uncertainty for the aperture I'm measuring in. He keeps naysaying this shit and then goes off to write some equations and comes back and "corrects" me. IT WAS THE EXACT SAME THING I FUCKING SAID TO HIM. JUST FUCKING PAY ATTENTION. I don't have fucking tits, but that doesn't mean I don't have a fucking brain.

This is what fucking happens when you don't shove your fucking hairy ass 2 inch floppy dick into your wife and produce babies. This is what fucking happens. You have no fucking patience and tolerance to teach. You just want fucking results. He fucking told me on friday that it's been a year and that I should be an expert on photometry. Carl, the postdoc is like "Noones an expert after a year. WTF is he talking about".

This man is going to be the end of me in terms of keeping motivated in this field that I so sorely and dearly love to death. There are not many things I want to do in life. There are only 3 or 4 things I can think of. Astrophysics, Chemistry, playing video games and making reviews and writing articles and shit. And this is in order of greatest passions to least. There hasn't been a moment since I was 8 that I wasn't talking about something in space. There wasn't a moment where I wouldn't pick up a book about space and read over some fucking piece of shit novel for an English class assignment. The only other subject that I absolutely love to tears is chemistry and I was fucking good at it.

Fuck this shit, I am not letting some fucking 5 foot 7 hairy piece of shit giant cunted midget ruin and take away my passions and loves and desires. I am going to do whatever the ffuck it takes to finish this shit, study my ass off for the physics GRE again, apply to masters programs and PhD programs once more, don't care what the application fee costs are I'm just gonna fucking apply everywhere and get the fuck out of this piece of shit hellhole.

FUCK.

Stay strong brother, you gotta fight the good fight against the advisor fucks. My dad went through 2 whole revisions of his dissertation before his asshole advisor approved it. They were approved by the rest of the department each time, with superior ratings. By the end of his Ph.D my dad was the only doc student who ever graduated under this guy, and probably only because he is just as arrogant and hard headed as his advisor.

Reactions: LP
*backs slowly away from LP*

Looks like you're already taking the best course of action: using it as motivation to better yourself. On a lighter note, I have to ask, why is this particular type of noise named after the French word for fish?

I fucking hate my boss dude. I hate him to the core.[...]
I can relate ... but maybe you might want to take a step back and think about this some more after the initial anger has worn off. Maybe there is some kind of way or Level for you to work with this ... look at how his Post-doc and other people that have worked with him longer deal with that and look if that might be a way that could work for you too.

Teacher/Boss - Student/employee relationships are often complicated ... some people can just work fine together, while others have to work hard on that. Quitting (especially if this means a lot to you) should really be the last option. Try finding a way of communication first ... last resort (when trying to make it work) would then be to go to your Bosses Boss and ask for help (keep it factual there!).

(that?s of course easy said from far away, not knowing the guy and not being in your shoes - I?m just trying to help)

Reactions: LP
Stay strong brother, you gotta fight the good fight against the advisor fucks. My dad went through 2 whole revisions of his dissertation before his asshole advisor approved it. They were approved by the rest of the department each time, with superior ratings. By the end of his Ph.D my dad was the only doc student who ever graduated under this guy, and probably only because he is just as arrogant and hard headed as his advisor.

That's fucking retarded dude. I'm sorry your dad went through that. My parents have gone through outright blatant discrimination in INDIA for being Hindu instead of christian. This caused them to leave and come to the US. My mentor is one of those control freaks as well and inks the crap out of anyone's paper to the death with comments and corrections. I'm glad I'm not doing my thesis with him, but I do have to write a paper, and everytime he tells me to say something else, the next time I show him that statement he says "That's not right". Dude you said that to me a week ago, wtf. Anyway.

*backs slowly away from LP*

Looks like you're already taking the best course of action: using it as motivation to better yourself. On a lighter note, I have to ask, why is this particular type of noise named after the French word for fish?

Friends don't back away from friends when they're going through problems, lemme just tell you that first.

The noise is basically following a poisson distribution which is both fishy-smelling and named after a dude named poisson.

^ It's named after a French braniac

LP, keep strong, better yourself, rub it in his face, then don't give him a moment's worry once it's all said and done.

You got it man. I just spoke to a friend of mine and we both agreed we need to get out of our hellholes and into a grad school. It's the grind!

I can relate ... but maybe you might want to take a step back and think about this some more after the initial anger has worn off. Maybe there is some kind of way or Level for you to work with this ... look at how his Post-doc and other people that have worked with him longer deal with that and look if that might be a way that could work for you too.

Teacher/Boss - Student/employee relationships are often complicated ... some people can just work fine together, while others have to work hard on that. Quitting (especially if this means a lot to you) should really be the last option. Try finding a way of communication first ... last resort (when trying to make it work) would then be to go to your Bosses Boss and ask for help (keep it factual there!).

(that?s of course easy said from far away, not knowing the guy and not being in your shoes - I?m just trying to help)

I'm glad you said what you said because me, my labmates, and other people that have dealt and worked with him have all discussed this at one point. They all say he's moody and cranky. The postdoc has a level of nonchalance that would make Hawaiians look stressed out, and plus he does his own work and doesn't necessarily have to invoke any of my boss's powers or influence. He's becoming his own principal investigator and he doesn't really have much to do with us in terms of the science.

The rest of them. Well frankly, they're all women. I'm one of 2 or 3 guys that have worked with him. I've come to the conclusion that his bullshit about supporting women in science is just a front for sheer and blatant perversion.

I'm sorry for swearing my ass off, but you don't know how cathartic it is. I'm glad that I'm 24 and dealing with this rather than 54 and supporting my family. This is the time you struggle to find stability I suppose.

Secondly, I'm glad I have all you guys on here getting my back on this and other things. I can't tell you guys how I appreciate having a circle of anonymous friends to vent to, it's hard these days to fully vent to friends I see in daily life, you don't want to overstay your welcome, and I know I shouldn't do that here as well. It's just... well you guys are just awesome.

Lets go get beers, fuck this shit.

First of all he's discriminatory. Not in a racist way but a sexist way. That may sound like something meek and pussy but it fucking hurts when the girls get all the attention and help and you're thrown the leftovers and treated like shit.
I know you don't want to hear this, but people will always discriminate against you, for whatever random "reason" they, their parents or society make up in their minds.

Backstory here: my friend is a sikh. He used to have a turban and a beard. [...] They are not fucking terrorists.
Presumably the shopkeeper assumed turban=muslim; mulsim=terrorist?
/facepalm

Anyways back to the boss.
[...]
He sits down, I explain to him about how I'm estimating my poisson noise for each pixel of the CCD and adding the uncertainties and the noise in quadrature to get an estimate of the uncertainty for the aperture I'm measuring in. He keeps naysaying this shit and then goes off to write some equations and comes back and "corrects" me. IT WAS THE EXACT SAME THING I FUCKING SAID TO HIM.
You do know that this is the way academia is, right? He is not going to like you showing him up, even in private. Academia is hugely competitive, and the competition is by no mean always "clean". Your PhD supervisor will no doubt require credit on any papers you publish, maybe even to be the lead author, even when they've done nothing. You're in astrophysics - is it fair that Hewish got the Nobel Prize for the discovery of pulsars and his student, Jocelyn Bell, didn't? Yeah, it's co-operative too, but the fight for funding and tenure makes it pretty cut-throat, and publications are a way to "keep score".

Sorry. I'm not trying to be nasty or get you down. All I'm trying to say is that the science "industry" can be spectacularly unfair (even more so than the commercial world). Please be sure that you're willing to put up with that if you want to go on with it, because I'm pretty sure this won't be the last time you have to deal with this kind of thing. I'm similar to you - injustice and prejudice make me wild with anger - and I don't think I could put up with all of the crap I'd have to to work in that environment.

Keep your chin up mate. I hope you can work it out, whichever way you choose to do so.

I know you don't want to hear this, but people will always discriminate against you, for whatever random "reason" they, their parents or society make up in their minds.

Yeah I know. You're talking to a guy that had rocks thrown at him by some of his fellow students on 9/11.

Presumably the shopkeeper assumed turban=muslim; mulsim=terrorist?
/facepalm

See above.

You do know that this is the way academia is, right? He is not going to like you showing him up, even in private. Academia is hugely competitive, and the competition is by no mean always "clean". Your PhD supervisor will no doubt require credit on any papers you publish, maybe even to be the lead author, even when they've done nothing. You're in astrophysics - is it fair that Hewish got the Nobel Prize for the discovery of pulsars and his student, Jocelyn Bell, didn't? Yeah, it's co-operative too, but the fight for funding and tenure makes it pretty cut-throat, and publications are a way to "keep score".

Sorry. I'm not trying to be nasty or get you down. All I'm trying to say is that the science "industry" can be spectacularly unfair (even more so than the commercial world). Please be sure that you're willing to put up with that if you want to go on with it, because I'm pretty sure this won't be the last time you have to deal with this kind of thing. I'm similar to you - injustice and prejudice make me wild with anger - and I don't think I could put up with all of the crap I'd have to to work in that environment.

Keep your chin up mate. I hope you can work it out, whichever way you choose to do so.

I know but I've had great relationships with my mentors all this time. The good thing about this guy is that he wants me to be first author. But he wants to tag on a whole shit ton of people (including my labmates who dont do shit for my work) as other authors.

I understand the cutthroat nature and I understand the undermining and one-upmanship exists. I just wanted the same relationship that I had with my previous mentors I guess. I could walk into their office whenever I wanted and ask as many questions as I wanted and FUCKING LEARNED. I learned a lot more about astronomy from my mentors than I ever did in a classroom. He's never around and he doesn't like people walking in. And he gets impatient when I ask him questions and try to fucking learn.

I'm sorry I'm done venting about him.

Here you go mate, have a :beer: and silently contemplate how many ways you can kill him using Call of Duty.

Seriously though mate, don't let the shit get to you. Shouldn't have to let things get to you and next time you could just call down the Final Gear Pain, Torture, Humiliation and Harrassment gro- erm, i mean the Final Gear Peace Ambassadors to help you out.

Yeah I'm fine now man, thanks to you guys. Being able to vent here and having your support has calmed me down a bit. I brought my new camera bag and all the equipment with me so I might hop out and go take some snaps to unwind. I've been heading to the beach to destress a lot, but I think I've been taking way too many shots there recently :lol:. There's also counter-strike and crysis to vent any residual frustrations out. (And call of duty as you mentioned).

And Jedd, if there were ever a reason for me to come to the UK other than to punch MWF in his vagina shoulder, it would be to get a beer with you and BlaRo.

Mega-craploads of laundry. I have so much built up after 3 weeks of not doing any. 15 dress shirts, 5 slacks, 6 sweaters and a suit went out to the cleaners, now I have 6 loads of laundry to do at home. I've literally run out of everything, just one boxer-brief left, some old ass t-shirts and a well used pair of jeans. Time to power through all of it.