The "Things that annoy me" thread

I don't do minimum wage. I do sales. And sales is among the highest pressure jobs around. I was commenting on my friend who wants money but isn't willing to sacrifice some time/discomfort to get it.

Let me guess, Vector Marketing, selling Cutco knives.

Do you even make decent money there? I dont blame your friend for leaving if it is Vector. Having unpaid meetings, unpaid cold calling, unpaid training, having to bu your own "demo" knife set, unpaid travel, not to mention the time spent on traveling to demos makes no sense at all.

Let me guess, Vector Marketing, selling Cutco knives.

Do you even make decent money there? I dont blame your friend for leaving if it is Vector. Having unpaid meetings, unpaid cold calling, unpaid training, having to bu your own "demo" knife set, unpaid travel, not to mention the time spent on traveling to demos makes no sense at all.
Why do people put up with this shit? Leave - they are NOT worth working for.

wtf? Unless they pay by commission only, how is that even legal?

It is legal because all Vector "Marketing" employees are outside contractors that are primarily commission based. If you do a demo at someone's house, I believe they pay you $16, no matter if you make the sell or not.

However, if round trip travel time is an hour, and the demo is another hour, your $16 turns into a measly $8. From then, if you also factor in gas money and general depreciation on your car from use...you are making even less than $8/hr.

On the flip side, if you do sell a knife set, you do make good money as commission is 30-50% (depending on your selling volume) of the selling price of the knife set. The knife sets are expensive too (usually $600+), but then why would someone spend $600 on cutcos when you can buy real knives like Henckels, W?STHOFs, Global, or Shuns for about the same price. So the only people you can really sell to are homemakers that do not have good knowledge of kitchen knives with $600-$100 to spend. That being said, I have heard stories of people selling well, but that is 1 success story out of hundreds of bad ones.

I personally have never worked there (why the hell would you?) but like any business student, I keep informed of opportunities everywhere. The hilarious thing is that they hang fliers in my business school (without permission) saying that they will pay up to $16/hr, luring unsuspecting, broke, college students. Luckily, professors always pull down these fliers as soon as they are put up.

How do you know clothing stores only play minimum? I work retail part time and they pay 10/hr, there are other stores that pay even more.

And good practice for what? Future selling? Maybe, but would you really want to do sales for the rest of your life? If so, then a 4-year college degree is really not necessary for that, might as well just do full time sales now and start early.

I apologize if if you think I am picking on you, because I am not. I am just trying to share what I know about the company. Honestly, I think your friend that quit early is smart because he figured it out. Hopefully he didn't spend his money on the demo knife set yet.

At any rate, the operative part of my previous comment was how politicians make these observations and then go in to work the next day and cancel scholarships, grants and loans wholesale, thus requiring even more people to look towards their parents for money (For example, Pennsylvania still had not handed over ANY money, financial aid or otherwise to Penn State this year - the university is mitigating that out of its own pocket as best as it can this year, but next year things will fall right apart if the situation doesn't change). It's totally reprehensible and an example of just how UTTERLY FUCKING SLIMY our elected officials are. Lets not blame the students for being lazy when we can blame the Yale-educated bastard children making the decisions.
Colleges aren't exactly in it for the students though are they.

I used every avenue available to me - the vast majority of them were closed off because I made the decision to leave my home state to go to school.

Well, there you go. Your decision framed what you could and could not accomplish. You also made the decision, I suspect, to go straight to college without working first. I'm sure you could have gotten a full-time job, saved up a bit, and paid the remainder of your tuition/fees with that.

I'm sorry, I've just known too many people from too many circumstances who WERE able to pay for their own schooling for me to accept that it just doesn't work out for some. No one in my entire family had their schooling paid for by anyone but themselves. My husband paid his own way as well, as did 2 of my college roommates. One of those roommates worked full-time while in school, because that's what he had to do. It took him longer, yes, but he managed it.

It's always possible. It's just that it's so much easier for people from wealthy families not to do it that you guys just don't.

- People that always 'one-up' you in stories

- People that are food (or other) snobs. For example, if you say "Cadbury makes this great chocolate" They'll respond with "Oh, you need to try this one that this old lady makes on top of this mountain in Peru, it's the best", as if something generic can never good, and them knowing this rare food somehow makes them better people.

- People that will tell you that "I could have got that cheaper for you" even if you just scored an absolute bargain.

- Flat pack furniture. Thanks for wasting my night IKEA.

Flat pack furniture is the best invention since salt. Seriously.

Oh, I agree that it's convenient, unbelievably cheap, and relatively easy to transport. It's opening up the instructions and sitting trying to decipher whether the little black and white drawing of the piece of MDF has 27 holes or 28 holes, because there are two almost identical pieces sitting on your floor.

I have built three items from IKEA recently and two of them had very clear and logical instructions. The third was a bit confusing as it had different manuals for different parts but I figured it out quickly enough.

Totally agree on the food snobs. I am the exact opposite.

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2009/11/24/ikeaforsby.jpg

The worst thing about IKEA for me are the 1 hour drives with a wardrobe in the back of my head. That and one of those bloody $29 coffee tables completely destroyed my hands. And then I found I put the legs on the wrong way round. Well how was I supposed to know the shelf was meant to go on the inside?

IKEA disappointed me recently. I bought a low-cost chair from them, and I sat in it for a year, then it broke down. Well, since the chair was only 15 euro, I figured it might have been what I was paying for, good value-for-money rubbish, so I went for another one, which literally disassembled, by its own will, exactly two months later. I found out the wood was too fresh and in some points could be broken using just one hand... and one of the factory-built interlocks was badly-enginnered too.

Now I deeply distrust the solidity of pretty much every IKEA product.

I find that adding a few goodoldfashion carpentersnails on strategic places helps extends lifespan on ikea furniture, specialy after a few years of wear and tear.....that and ducttape, did I mention I don't live in a palace? :p

People who buy ready grated cheese.
People who have their Christmas decorations up.
Children's TV presenters.
Clowns.
Mimes.
Magicians.
Ventriloquists.
People who like musicals.
People who walk at 1cm an hour.
Jehovah's witnesses.
Pretentiousness
Emily Proctor, that fucker can't act for shit.
Zac Efron
Ricky Gervais
People born in the 90's.
Vampires
Zombies
Fat chicks with little to no clothing.
Fat chicks with little to no clothing, pushing prams... whos fucking these chicks?
Shirtless guys in the city centre... there's no need for it, and it's uncalled for.
Adam Sandler
Dane Cook
Actors who can't cry.
Guys with umbrellas
People who wear brightly coloured spectacles as if to say "Look at me, i'm really fun and quirky" When in reality you look like a c***.
People with outie belly buttons.
People who have ferrets as pets.
People who take a cat for a walk.
People with looks
People with talent
People with charm
People with charisma
People with wealth
People over the age of 8 who wear their backpacks on both shoulders.

... and Hugh Jackman.

Last edited:
People who buy ready grated cheese.
People who have their Christmas decorations up.
Children's TV presenters.
Clowns.
Mimes.
Magicians.
Ventriloquists.
People who like musicals.
People who walk at 1cm an hour.
Jehovah's witnesses.
Pretentiousness
Emily Proctor, that fucker can't act for shit.
Zac Efron
Ricky Gervais
People born in the 90's.
Vampires
Zombies
Fat chicks with little to no clothing.
Fat chicks with little to no clothing, pushing prams... whos fucking these chicks?
Shirtless guys in the city centre... there's no need for it, and it's uncalled for.
Adam Sandler
Dane Cook
Actors who can't cry.
Guys with umbrellas
People who wear brightly coloured spectacles as if to say "Look at me, i'm really fun and quirky" When in reality you look like a c***.
People with outie belly buttons.
People who have ferrets as pets.
People who take a cat for a walk.
People with looks
People with talent
People with charm
People with carisma
People with wealth
People over the age of 8 who wear their backpacks on both shoulders.

... and Hugh Jackman.
All of the above except for the crossed out ones I generally agree with.

Last edited: