The "Things that annoy me" thread

I've recently started having my packages to the local FedEx/UPS locations and picking them up on my convenience (a few are 24hr, but all are open till 8ish)

I have a mailbox at the local UPS Store - the store annoyingly closes at 7 and doesn't offer 24-7 access like the one that's on my college campus. I know that most UPS Stores are "Independently owned and operated" so hopefully this one gets a upgrade.

Just got a phone call from a company warning me that "according to their records" the factory warranty on my Mustang is expired and I need to buy their warranty plan. First of all, what records? My car is still in warranty by time and miles (not to mention I bought the Ford extended warranty to protect me against the dreaded MT-82). And secondly wasn't this sort of telemarketing made illegal? Especially since I'm on the national Do Not Call list.

Phone number is (508) 231-9296. Only reason I picked up was because it was a MA number so could've been any number of things I used to deal with when I lived there.

I have gotten similar post cards before, but those I just throw out. This phonecall got me infuriated though.

I had heard from more than one source that the information comes from the local government entities. So, when I read your post, I put in a call to a friend who is a new car dealer. He confirmed that (in the U.S.) most county registrars sell this data to virtually anyone who is willing to pay for it. They use the excuse that the records are open to the public and that it's a 'revenue enhancement' to the county that helps keep taxes lower . The practice really upsets the dealers because the warranty sellers do everything they can to appear to be agents of the manufacturers and say that they are offering their 'product' as a service to the car buyers whose warranties are close to expiring.

I'm not sure how these low-lifes get around the do-not-call lists, but they seem to survive like cockroaches!

Still battling ants coming into the house. Next step was to take the offensive outside and put the bait stations in the lawn. I haven't seen any ants inside, so it appears to be working.

I glued 6 of them to a nerf basketball, and rolled it under my house in the crawl space. It seemess to have done the trick. Ha!

Edit: The ones I use where the poison food that the worker ants bring back to the colony to slowly kill the colony over the course of several weeks? It is not simply sticky traps, which I found only work temporarily at best.

Last edited:
I glued 6 of them to a nerf basketball, and rolled it under my house in the crawl space. It seemess to have done the trick. Ha!

Edit: The ones I use where the poison food that the worker ants bring back to the colony to slowly kill the colony over the course of several weeks? It is not simply sticky traps, which I found only work temporarily at best.

I'm using the Terro liquid baits, both the indoor and outdoor for the respective purposes. Both of which are doing their job. I can see worker ants going to the bait, eating it and going back to the nest. I can see other ants eating it and going crazy, then dying. The whole process is quite interesting to watch.

It's frustrating, though, when there's hundreds of ants in the house, and you just have to let them crawl around for at least a couple of days....maybe longer, before they go away. Gross, if it's your bathroom, living room or bedroom. Kitchens aren't as bad, but still...

Not ideal if you have ants in the kitchen, yes. You have to keep everything away from where the ants are and seal up all your food, keep the pets away. You just have to let it work, which may take several days if you have thousands. After seeing them still coming in after about a week, I put the outdoor baits down and no longer see any coming in. The system is very effective, it just takes time and some patience of watching where they gather. Most important is to get the outdoor baits close to where the trails are, then they go to that and stop exploring indoors.

Using the Terro system as intended, I only had to spray a few stray ants inside.

That Terro stuff is awesome. I've got them all over my house. I also spread some ant fertilizer because I have/had 6 ant hills scattered throughout my yard.

Not being able to remember things, especially stuff I need to remember for my intro to statistics class.

Nah, claim insurance.

Not being able to remember things, especially stuff I need to remember for my intro to statistics class.

This. I forgot to stop and get hand soap for my bathroom....again.

I also did surprisingly well in intro to stats. I'd offer to help but with my luck you'll ask me stuff that I forgot. :lol:

Having paid for your shopping and on the way to your car you realize you forgot the butter, is indeed really annoying.

I had a parcel delivered to my house, namely some brake pipes. I wasn't in to collect the parcel as I was at work and it was too big to fit through the letter box so it got sent to the local post office and will be returned to sender if I don't attempt to collect it within 18 days.

Now, I can request the parcel be sent out again, but I'd just miss it due to work. If I could get hold of an actual human on the phone I could ask them to shove it in the shed behind the house but it's an automated system. I can't do it online either because my address is invalid as it doesn't have a street name. :roll: I could also have it sent to another house in my postcode area, but I don't know any of the neighbours. Alright, I'll go collect it from the post office then, opening times: Mon-Fri 7am-1pm and Sat 7am-1pm, so when I'm at commuting/at work, the times that I wasn't around to collect the parcel when it was delivered in the first place.

Cheers Royal Mail, your actual post office is open 8:30am-5:30pm so why does the parcel collection end at 1pm?! <_< I've had to take this Saturday off work to go to collect the bloody thing, if there is a bonus it's that it'll be nice to have a whole weekend free from work for once...

Why don't you have the package sent to your work?

I am properly annoyed when a food manufacturer changes their recipe without notice. I?m allergic to soy. It?s not the deadly kind of allergic, but bowel irritations, throat-swelling ... depending on what kind of soy product. So I?m one of these people that read a lot of labels in the supermarket. But if I have a product without soy, I don?t tend to check every purchase if they have changed the ingredients.
Now I?ve been sitting here, with some Baba ghanoush (eggplant spead) on bread just minding my own buisness while my throat is giving me this sort of "tingly" sentsation ... and to my surprise, the eggplant-spead now contains fucking soy-oil. I?ve been buying that spread since I?ve gotten to france last year and NOW they decide to change the recipe? And soy-oil? SERIOUSLY? What?s wrong olive oil? That?s not one of the most common food allergies ... and it would be exactly the oil this dish would contain where it is from.
I?m writing an angry letter to the producer. In german.

But if they tell you they have changed it in someway, you might not buy it.

I too hate this. If it were a detergent they would be touting how "NEW and IMPROVED" it was.

But if manufacturers had to put a splashy "now contains soy!" starburst on the box, it would just be head scratching to people not allergic.

As someone who also technically is allergic to peanuts and tomatoes, I've gotten used to reading food labels. Yes it sucks to have to do this with everything even if you've bought it before.

In the states, most brands specifically call out allergens in the Nutrition Facts with a dedicated section, usually bolded.

" Ingredients: *insert list of ingredients here* Allergens: Soy, Milk, nuts... "

Also some brands (General Mills comes to mind...I believe they were the first to do this) warn of potential allergens with a warning statement near the box/container opening.

"Food Allergic Consumers: Please read ingredient statement!" can be be found on the box flaps of many General Mills cereals.

Food labeling in Europe: http://www.foodallergens.info/Legal/Labelling/Labelling.html

Exemptions: http://www.foodallergens.info/Legal/Labelling/Exemptions.html

Some products made from the allergenic foods in Annex IIIa have been permanently exempted from allergen labelling based on opinions from EFSA. These products are not likely to cause severe allergic reactions as they only contain trace amounts of protein. You can read the exemptions in the table below. The effect of the exemptions is for example that you can choose to label fully refined soybean oil as just ?vegetable oil?.

Soybean:
- Fully refined soybean oil and fat*
- Natural mixed tocopherols (E306), natural D-alpha tocopherol, natural D-alpha tocopherol acetate, natural D-alpha tocopherol succinate from soybean sources
- Vegetable oils derived phytosterols and phytosterol esters from soybean sources
- Plant stanol ester produced from vegetable oil sterols from soybean sources