The "Things that annoy me" thread

^its the same in the burner service world. Dipshits think they know the system they own until you explain what's wrong and how it broke.

Or when people ask you to fix their computer. Initially they always claim that they "didn't change ANYTHING at all", so you have no idea what to look for. Only hours afterwards you finally get somewhere and realize that they screwed up but didn't want to admit it, even though it would have made the task at hand much easier. Best part is when you comment on in and they realize they've been caught it's always the same dumb excuse: "oh I didn't think that had anything to do with it". Yeah Yeah whatever, sunshine...

I know that screwing up makes you feel bad, but in most cases it will come out anyway and guess what, it'll make you look even worse if you couldn't man up and admit your mistake and help everyone to quickly fix it. I'm not even mad that people break stuff (well, not too mad anyway), I'm just upset when people are like "oh I don't know what's wrong, pls figure it out" (even though they were stupid enough to open some .exe attached to an email from an unknown source, but clearly that couldn't have anything to do with your computer now being infested with viruses).

Ooh! I've got a new one. People that lie to you, telling you they have all the rough in done and they are ready for you to install. When, in fact, they haven't done a damned thing since you looked at it two weeks ago or even two weeks before that... Then you end up looking like the photo below, because you had to bust "soil cement" by hand to trench in a wire.

uploadfromtaptalk1458880166512.jpg

That looks nasty and not the fun kind of that. ;(

Looks more like a shitstorm to me :D

People who cannot comprehend you can't get a 3 meter high load through a 3.1m door once its on the back of a truck....yeah.

How are you able to survive? How can somebody as incomprehensibly dumbwitted as you even get through everyday life without dying from shear stupidity? How can it be possible that I have to explain the very simple 'height'+'height= 'Bigger HEIGHT' to you 3 times before I see a glimmer of comprehension in those dead, dark, beaten down 'I'm to lazy to think' eyes?
I especially liked the part where you tried to blame it on me 'for bringing to tall a truck', then on you collegue who ordered the transport....I was honestly expecting you to blame it on the guy who installed the bloody door 20 years ago....

Yeah, I'm leaving, other people waiting, nope, it really is not my problem, you're the one who needs this out of here, so instead of standing there looking like a moron shrugging your shoulders and expecting me to fix your blunder, start calling your boss, and have him calling around for a big enough forklift and some rollers to get this outside, no I don't know anyone who has something like that, nope, again, not my problem, goodbye, we 'might' be able to come back Wednesday.

I'm pretty sure the little fuckwit is still standing there trying to comprehend what just happende.

Last edited:
Reminds me of that one time when someone sent us around 5 tons of equipment on the back of a truck, but forgot to tell the driver to bring a forklift and also didn't inform us that we should have a forklift to lift it off the truck. We make X-ray detectors, and you normally don't need a forklift to handle those, so we kinda don't have one sitting around just in case we need to lift a couple of tons out of a truck. Also the people that sent the stuff to us were fully aware that we weren't equipped to handle something like that. And then the lorry driver just shrugged and was like "yeah it's your problem now, I'm gonna sit around all day until you figure something out".

At least you didn't forget to lower the forks before you drove into the loading dock door.

Just last summer, we all were certified to drive the forklift.:D

Restaurants that have ridiculously loud music in a tiny, echo-y space, which means you can't talk to the people around you.

Went to celebrate a friend's birthday last night at a Greek restaurant. It's basically a converted house, but all hard surfaces. Stone floors, brick walls, and 80 people crammed inside. Just the ambient noise was rather loud, but then they brought in some musicians, plugged in amps and turned everything up as loud as it could go.
We had to shout at each other all night, over the music, and everyone else shouting at each other. My ears were ringing for ages, and my voice is shot from yelling.

They could have played 100% acoustically and it would have been more than enough to fill the space and create atmosphere, instead of overpowering everything else.

Restaurants that have ridiculously loud music in a tiny, echo-y space, which means you can't talk to the people around you.

Went to celebrate a friend's birthday last night at a Greek restaurant. It's basically a converted house, but all hard surfaces. Stone floors, brick walls, and 80 people crammed inside. Just the ambient noise was rather loud, but then they brought in some musicians, plugged in amps and turned everything up as loud as it could go.
We had to shout at each other all night, over the music, and everyone else shouting at each other. My ears were ringing for ages, and my voice is shot from yelling.

They could have played 100% acoustically and it would have been more than enough to fill the space and create atmosphere, instead of overpowering everything else.

They say here that restaurants play loud music (and play TV's cranked up loud) as a way to get people in and out faster so they can make more money. It's annoying as shit though, agreed.

They say here that restaurants play loud music (and play TV's cranked up loud) as a way to get people in and out faster so they can make more money. It's annoying as shit though, agreed.

In parts of the world that don't love awful, this is a good way to then have NO customers - especially if you are attempting to run a 'family' restaurant. :p

Not so much if your restaurant is Hooters, though.

In parts of the world that don't love awful, this is a good way to then have NO customers - especially if you are attempting to run a 'family' restaurant. :p

Not so much if your restaurant is Hooters, though.

I'm just psyched that there's going to be a IHOP mere minutes from my house. They can play whatever they play as loud as they want...I'll pop earplugs in and enjoy the pancakes. :p

For over 5 years, I've lived...*counts silently on fingers*...7 blocks from an IHOP, and drive past it no less than 4 times a week...and I've never eaten at it. :lol:

For over 5 years, I've lived...*counts silently on fingers*...7 blocks from an IHOP, and drive past it no less than 4 times a week...and I've never eaten at it. :lol:

:lol: Here in the middle of bumfuck nowhere called Central PA, we take getting anything for granted. Nearest IHOP in the state is in Lancaster - a 40 min drive from me. Apple store? Also in Lancaster.

This is especially tough for me. I've been playing rock guitar for only a few years shy of 30 years...so, yeah...my hearing is not super great. Primarily, I have trouble picking out individual voices in a crowd. In a crowded restaurant where everyone is shouting over the music, all I hear is a wall of static. I miss quiet Midwestern restaurants with carpeted dining rooms. :lol:

Last edited:
:lol: Here in the middle of bumfuck nowhere called Central PA, we take getting anything for granted. Nearest IHOP in the state is in Lancaster - a 40 min drive from me. Apple store? Also in Lancaster.

It says something about PA that an IHOP, one of the lowest forms of diner, is a huge anxiously awaited upgrade to all the local offerings...

When a friend who is studying Audio & Visual Engineering and I were talking shouting about it, we were informed that that is how it's done in Greece. All the tavernas are the same. As this is the oldest Greek restaurant in Sydney, that is how they've been doing it for 40+ years. Still doesn't make it a good idea, what about the staff who have to put up with it every night? What damage does it do to their hearing?

I'm just psyched that there's going to be a IHOP mere minutes from my house. They can play whatever they play as loud as they want...I'll pop earplugs in and enjoy the pancakes. :p
Tried IHOP in Hawaii a few years back. I can say I much preferred Denny's.

This is especially tough for me. I've been playing rock guitar for only a fea years shy of 30 years...so, yeah...my hearing is not super great. Primarily, I have trouble picking out individual voices in a crowd. In a crowded restaurant where everyone is shouting over the music, all I hear is a wall of static. I miss quiet Midwestern restaurants with carpeted dining rooms. :lol:

The birthday boy last night actually used to own an Italian restaurant, and one of the first things Dad suggested when he bought a share in the business was that the giant square frames on the walls that were used for kids to pin drawings on, were recovered in a plush warm fabric and hung back up as decoration, but also to absorb some of the noise in the restaurant, which, even with only CD's playing in the background was still quite loud. It really worked quite well.
I don't mind background music in places like that, but if I'm heading out with friends - especially those I don't get to see that often, I want to be able to talk to them and catch up on what's going on.

^its the same in the burner service world. Dipshits think they know the system they own until you explain what's wrong and how it broke.

Since Thursday, this one customer in New York has been angirly asking me to come back.

My office originally got the call last monday to come out asap. Ok, so I fly there tuesday and check things out. Turns out the ignition wires are melting so the burner won't light. But, the other issue is, I keep losing power every 60 seconds or so. So, I go through and find the boiler control is displaying a fault. I get to talking with the customer and I get a vague answer on that if there's a fault, the system will reset every 20 minutes. They honestly had no idea that the burner control is losing power. All they see is "the display goes blank." *sigh*

The burner has what is called a "Continuous run kit" installed that keeps the blower motor on and the air damper open to force a draft to keep the ignition wires from burning up. Since the power is being cut from the burner, the blower shuts off allowing the hot air from the stack to push through the boiler, get heated again and come through the burner, melting cables. This wouldn't be a problem if they had sufficent make up air meaning, air being drawn in to replace the air being removed by the burner.

What these dumbshits do not understand is, if your fucking boiler control has an error of any sort, the system cuts power off to the burner. No, I don't know what you should do because, if I give you a solution, I'm held liable. It's not my fault that the OEM of the boiler decided to cut power rather than just place a relay in the safety circuit which shuts the burner down but, does not remove power.

But, it's my fault that the ignition wires are burning. :eyeroll:

This kind of stuff makes me so angry because, how in the hell are you in charge of a building's mechanical system yet you yourself haven't the faintest idea how any of it works?

Last edited:
Do we have a thread like this in one of the automotive forums? If so, I'll move this over there:

stupid fucking arsehole drivers who cut into my safe distance and leave about half a meter between their cars and the one I'm in

I drove to my parents' for Easter on Thursday and had borrowed dad's car for it. As you'd expect, the Autobahn was far from empty, but happily, traffic was flowing in both lanes. It wasn't fast, maybe 110 to 120 km/h in the left lane and the standard whatever-the-lorries-will-do 80+ km/h in the right lane, meaning that if you changed into the right lane, you were going to stay there unless you drove like an imbecile. Result: a large-ish gap on the right every now and then which would in theory have been sufficient for people to move over, but completely impractical.

Almost everyone put up with it and for something like an hour, nobody attempted to undertake me or - presumably - anyone else. That was also the time of nightfall, which must have done something to the three wankers who felt it necessary to do just that in short succession: move over to the right into one of those large-ish gaps, accelerate as fast as e.g. a Dacia Logan (I kid you not) will do and then move back into the fast lane into the safe distance left by some poor sod. That sod was me and they cut me off with barely any space left. And then, naturally, they had to slow back down to the speed everyone else was doing.

Needless to say that after a few minutes of this kind of driving, I got stuck in a tailback; this one caused by a lorry ramming an Opel Corsa - didn't look like anyone had been seriously injured, but it cost lots of people a lot of time.

Recruitment Agencies/Consultants.

You have my number and it's you being paid to find suitable candidates so why the hell should I use up credit on my phone to call you about the position I applied for? Especially as I know you will ask the same, inane questions every other one of your kind has done since I started looking for a new job six months ago all of which are adequately answered already on my CV.

Seriously, these people are right down there with car salesmen and real estate agents. Pond life, the bloody lot of them.