The "Things that annoy me" thread

Sometimes I feel like a mutant because everyone around me has some kind of allergy or intolerance, while I can eat everything. No allergies or intolerances whatsoever (except you count farting after beans annd cabbage an allergic reaction ;))

I keep a list of what kind of candy or snacks I can give members of my family at Christmas as a present. One has a lactose intolerance, another one cannot eat peanuts, a third one cannot eat anything with sugar in it. It is quite stressy and annoying...

Personally I think that allergies are another attempt of mother nature to get rid of humanity or sort out the weak and the sick in the interest of evolution, which humans of course have tricked by now. But I also blame our sometimes hysteric fear of microbes or germs and the desire to keep everything at home as clean as a hospital. Children need to get dirty from time to time, though, in order to form a working immune system and every human being needs lots and lots of bacteria and germs in order to function in the first place. So if you kill them all, you kill yourself in the long run. Allergies are a symptom for that in my opinion.

Or how do you explain the enormous rise of allergies and intolerances in recent decades? Would be interested in reading other theories as well.

Depends on whether you mean a real allergy or one of those who just jumped on the latest food fad.

I have 2 friends who I grew up with who now cannot eat gluten.

Seriously? I seen to remember when you put away bread, muffins and bagels like no one else when it was the 'thing' to carb load before we ran.

I'm allergic to dihydrogen monoxide in my lungs.

Dihydrogen monoxide itself is very dangerous, many people die from it every year. We should ban the usage of dihydrogen monoxide ASAP.

I did literally nothing today.

Woke up about 2 or 3 pm...then proceeded to laze in bed with occasional trips to the bathroom and nodding off until about 7:30 pm tonight.

Cripe. How do you sleep so late?

Are you moonlighting as a comic?

When you go to bed at 4 to 5 AM, this is what happens. Do not be like me.

I can't, my life requires I'm up at 4:30 on most Sunday's and no later than 5:30 on weekdays.

I hate this time of year. I walk Hank early before sunrise due to my schedule which apparently means skunks, raccoons, and deer frolic my neighborhood. The deer I don't mind, it's the skunks that are only sometimes scared off by stomping on the ground. The raccoons will brawl in the dark causing a terrifying scream. I don't want a skunked dog and I don't want rabies from bites on me or dog.

Also, fucking deer shit in my yard. It's like somebody stored up a bunch of chocolate pellets that you see on doughnuts piled up in my yard.

Last edited:
People that move one lane over when turning.

WHAT THE FUCK?!?

You are in the right lane, you should STAY in your FUCKING LANE.

What's it do?

My body -
I've had the runs off and on since this morning and into the evening. It's gross and inconvenient. I'm trying to study at school.

My laptop. HP Spectre x360. By default the intel software for the graphics has this "darken the backlight when the screen is showing something mostly dark" for some dumbass reason. It's called "Display power saving technology" and once disabled gives you full brightness and is no longer auto adjusting. When this thing is enabled, you cannot turn it off by just pressing the key that brightens the backlight. It'll be at full strength but still be dim.

I would just +rep you for that very nice and very informative post, but apparently I keep +repping you too much and need to find some other useful posts here first - so just accept this as a little thumbs up.

[...]I'd check to see what they're using for the frying oil. Again, not an ingredient in the actual food so they may 'forget' to mention that.

That is a good point generally, but soy-oil isn't that common so I don't think that's normal. And I rarely eat at fast food-joints like the ones mentioned above anymore. So personally that isn't something I am really worried about.
I am generally just very annoyed that soy keeps popping up everywhere even places where I did not expect it at all. When I used to go out have a burger in a restaurant - I did not really worry about there being soy in the BBQ sauce. But some places either buy sauce with soy or make it themselves - with soy-sauce. So I gotta ask. That?s annoying especially since restaurants don't have to provide the level of information that prepared foods have to in the supermarket.
One restaurant manager told me this summer that he could not tell me if there was soy in their food and that I should just assume that there is soy in everything they serve. It was a french restaurant, serving french food. Instead of providing me with important information he gave me the metaphorical finger like that. And if I'm honest, stuff like this has discouraged me a bit when it comes to eating out. I'm tired of explaining myself to restaurant staff.

Last edited:
This is just under $1000: https://www.matterofstuff.com/product/st∞l-erik-olovsson-studio-e-o/

It's pine (crap wood) and possibly made of scraps. It's less than 2 hrs of work, and less than $20 in wood. And at most, all you'd need is a $79 chop saw, and some sandpaper.

Stool_StudioEO_High_07.jpg

This is the sort of 'design' crap that get's bought by people with 7 jobtitles on their greeting card and 17bachelor degrees yet who cannot hammer a nail into the wall thelmselves.

Told one of those I build my own furniture once, he looked at me with a blank stare, after a few moments he went 'how?'