The "Things that annoy me" thread

...and then leave it out on their desk while they step away and proceed to get 3 calls.

- - - Updated - - -

Ironic business names.

"Durable Casters". Suuuure... :rolleyes:

There was a woman that sat near me at my last potion that had a crazy loud and crazy annoying ring tone on her personal phone that she would just leave the phone on her desk all day. It would get call after call and I was ready to go nuts and throw her phone out the window.

This is why I don't bother using ringtones - they're universally annoying to anyone, vibrate mode ftw.

This is why I don't bother using ringtones - they're universally annoying to anyone, vibrate mode ftw.
A hospital colleague's cell phone is programmed to play Legend of Zelda's "power up" noise for received texts. I admit, I want that one.

Until that gets annoying :D My phone's back cover glass thing (sony Z3) is ever so slightly loose in one corner (not enough to warrant replacement) and because of that basically rattles along with the vibrate. That has turned vibrate from a pleasant and light buzzing into a rather aggressive and annoying one.

My damn power drill keeps overheating, I keep having to take breaks because of that and now I've run out of other things to do while the thing cools down again. <_<

Add to that the people that crank the ringer volume to 11 with an annoying ring tone of song.

We get it old people. Nothing has been the same since the phone was taken off the wall. It was never cool to listen to that phone ring hipsters.

I have the AT&T Firefly ringtone. Cause I like it and it's not that harsh on the ears :D

I use the first ~33 seconds of Spacehog's 'In The Meantime' as my default ringtone, not terribly loud and definitely not harsh or annoying.

[video=youtube;TDkhl-CgETg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDkhl-CgETg[/video]

If those tones that open the song sound familiar to some, here's why:
I love that first Penguin Caf? Orchestra album, how did you come to start the song with the sample from it?

Well, that wasn?t necessarily from Penguin Caf? Orchestra. In England, long before telephones were digitized, you would make a call and sometimes the phone line would ring if you were waiting, and sometimes it would ring even if you were engaged. So that was the engaged sound. So that was a thing, it would happen infrequently but it had a profound effect on me. I thought the idea of being engaged and not engaged at the same time worked really well for the song.

So, basically, it really *is* a telephone system ringing tone. :D

Last edited:
And for those not familiar with the Penguin Cafe Orchestra's "Telephone and Rubber Band" which sampled a similar old telephone noise...

Their track titles were often left field and bizarre such as Pythagoras's Trousers and another some should recognise in Music for a Found Harmonium.

I made animal sounds my main ringtones.

When I get an SMS, a cow moohs. When I get an e-mail, a rooster is crowing and I also have a pond with croaking frogs and a cicada in store :)

I have my phone on silent most of the time anyway.

I try to avoid having my phone on vibrate when I'm working. It's not fun to have your phone vibrate while doing electrical work.

My damn power drill keeps overheating, I keep having to take breaks because of that and now I've run out of other things to do while the thing cools down again. <_<

You need a bigger drill, is what she said. :p :D

My ringtone is:

My alarm tone is:

I use the Slash's Anastasia from around 0:36 to about 0:59

My girlfriend has the first 23 seconds of the Narcos opening

I have individual ringtones for some of my friends and family, depending on who calls me. Mostly from TV shows.

But my main ringtone for callers is this one from a 1960's German sci-fi show:

[video]https://youtu.be/F-p5A_GislM?t=31[/video]

The first 30 seconds from the linked time index make the ringtone.

I don't know why, but for some reason I knew this was going to be orion before I clicked the link..
. o_O

I guess that would mean they ended up with a science show? Too many discrepancies with sci-fi? "Zis is not korect!"