The "Things that annoy me" thread

There's a song for that....

I think I know what you mean.

[video=youtube;dxytyRy-O1k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxytyRy-O1k[/video]

Just kidding, I know you probably meant:

No, I'm thinking of that one by Manfred Mann.

My nephew was just here and was hanging out talking to me. It was time to go so he gets up and instead of simply sidestepping the fan I had blowing on me, he turns it 90 degrees and leaves...

As I was going to do a relatively large bicycle trip today (commute, 30 kms one way) I finally did some maintenance on my bike.

Nothing fancy just basic stuff like greasing the chain and inflaying the tyres properly. I don't know how but I managed to grease the pedals aswell, and now they squeak like hell... So in trying to make it better I made it worse..... And I have to cycle back still

Pffrt, damn hippies and their inability to do anything practical :p

Well, crap! One of the hinges of one of my IKEA closets broke, I was at their spare parts counter today (good thing I'm on leave and don't have anything else to do anyway) and they don't have spare parts for that series anymore. As far as I can find there aren't any fitting hinges at ebay or ebay small ads as well, but there is one seller at ebay small ads who sells a complete door for that series. It costs just 15 Euros, but maybe the seller doesn't want to ship it since it's a glass door with an aluminium frame. Let's see...

Ikea uses pretty standard hinges as far as I know, the drone behind the counter might not find the partnumber in his computer, but you might be able to cobble something together using basic woodworking skills and some enginuity.

When you have wooden frames or doors it's no problem, those hinges are dime a dozen, but the one I have is an aluminium frame which has a completely different hinge fixation design. :( The "drone behind the counter" actually remembered that series of doors and came up with a slightly different hinge which I could fit to the door by drilling different holes into the doorframe, but the fixation to the corpus of the closet is different to the one I have. Maybe I'll drive there again tomorrow to get the correct fixation to the corpus for those hinges, but it's not urgent since the broken hinge can be "fixed" temporarily by just reassembling it, it just falls apart again after some time so I have to reassemble it again...

Ikea uses pretty standard hinges as far as I know, the drone behind the counter might not find the partnumber in his computer, but you might be able to cobble something together using basic woodworking skills and some enginuity.

I had a couple of pieces that actually used Blum hinges, but I could never find the exact matching part...but I never bothered calling them, as i ended up replacing the item with something else, and sold it as-is.

Bought some cookies from the vending machine at work to enjoy with my morning coffee.

9bosYm8.jpg

Must've been the end of the production line. :lol:

I installed a wireless Qi charger in my desk. The hole saw that I needed for this was supplied in the box and it was only when I damaged my desk that I found out that this particular came-with-the-product tool is just as crappy as all others. The damage wasn't too bad, thankfully, and I had wanted to stick a QI logo over the charger anyway, but still: for ?40+, they could provide at least a half-decent hole saw. :rolleyes:

We have a toilet seat/lid with a soft close hinge, and my stupid self can never remember that not everyone else does, and I'm always slamming everyone else's toilets/lids.
That sounds oddly familiar. :lol:

What's mean is when you've got those and soft-close doors in your own kitchen, but a friend's IKEA kitchen has soft-close drawers and regular doors. "BLAM!" "Sorry, I didn't mean to..." and later "BLAM!" "I swear I'm not mad at anyone!"

- - - Updated - - -

I had a couple of pieces that actually used Blum hinges, but I could never find the exact matching part...but I never bothered calling them, as i ended up replacing the item with something else, and sold it as-is.
You (Eye-Q) could also try Hettich. I have the sliding glass doors with the aluminium frame and IIRC, some of the hardware came from that supplier. Could be the same with your doors. Other than that, you may be able to find something if you still have the assembly instructions with part numbers. I'm a former behind-the-counter drone, BTW. :-D

- - - Updated - - -

...and now, for an actual annoyance: The wife and I got home from two weeks of honeymooning last night and I'll be back to travelling on my own on Tuesday.

You got hitched! Congrats! Who's the lucky fella? ;)

:cheers:

Thanks! "Fella" for a woman... haven't heard that one before. Anyway, we've been together for eleven years now and only made it official four months ago.

Google is so irritating to deal with. Spent two hours today helping mom get into her gmail account after getting new phones and forgetting the password, security questions, and whatever else google uses. You can't call google because gmail is some magical high being that they don't train their staff with. In the end, blind luck of mom suddenly remembering her password got it back.

A couple we know was robber at gunpoint yesterday. A few blocks from home. Broad daylight.
Bad guy their phones, wallets, etc.
They went to the police, provided descriptions, all the usual. Later, they found out the same guy did the same to 7 other people in a 4 block radius. The police does nothing, because the government hasn't been paying them lately.
The robber even said to one of the victims "stay quiet because we own downtown". They do indeed. :|

That's... disconcerting.

But it is in Missouri...