The "Things that annoy me" thread

Oh don't say that. I bought a floor model from Best Buy and it's been 3.5 years....

This was a Insignia from Best Buy. I know it's their house brand (and relatively small at 32 inches) so it wasn't exactly high quality to begin with but still.

So is mine... it's 48" though.

Whats currently a normal lifespan for a TV anyways? 5 years? I only changed last year from my (still functioning) crt monitor after 14 years....

My first flat screen is a 32" Samsung and it is around 9 years, but I haven't used it for about a year.

I don't think I have ever stopped using a TV because it stopped working. Got some pretty damn old ones lying around...

My parents' 60" 1080p plasma ca. 2010 died but they got it repaired for about $150, seemed worth it given the value it still has.

My last 27" CRT died when the input/power plate/panel thing must have gotten a short, and caught fire. A new one was $600+. My 32" flat panel TV was $500 at the time, i think. Might have been $700...but not much more than fixing the old one.

My previous TV was a 13" Emerson, which never worked properly after getting completely flooded in a masive rainstorm/tornado when my window was open about 1". The whole room was dripping wet and flooded. We didn't open it up, so some things likely rusted inside.

The one before it was a 12" black and white from Radio Shack. The tube got a crack in it after being hit with an NES controller. Since the SNES was already out at the time, you can imagine how out-of-date a black and white TV was at the time, anyway. Both chennel knobs almost spun freely. You'd have to manually stop you turn at the right point to change the channel, so we just set it to 4 (for the NES) and pulled the knobs out.

Last edited:
I once repaired a TV (as a teenager) that had broken a solder joint on the coax input. However I got a little overzealous with the repair and the solder grounded out. I didn't know this until I plugged the cable TV line into the coax input and got quite the jolt. The TV was no after that.

My plasma TV still works very well at 9.5ish years old. I don't use it regularly anymore, but that may change too. I really only use it for watching movies, just not often.

Currently my main TV is in the living room, and I just don't spend much time there. Near the PC, I have an old 13" CRT that I use for the occasional need to access the cable company's service. A new monitor will be coming soon, and this will all change.

I once garbage picked a black and white 15" tv that only had the screw terminal for an antenna. My dad had some spare coax to twin terminal adapters (knew a guy who worked for a cable company years ago). I hooked a VCR to the coax which then had my play station hooked to it. I played games in black and white. :D

Either my arms are freakishly long (compared to my height), or every single tote/shopping bag I own has handles that are too long.

I can't walk with any of these bags, without them dragging on the ground. I'm constantly having to wrap the handles around my fist to take up the slack, which is annoying and can be uncomfortable.

Last edited:

Shopping bag version of a knuckle dragger?

FileJoker 1 Click Filehost "Service".

Free Download:

2 minutes of Countdown.
The countdown only works when the browser is the active window.
The countdown only works when the filejoker website is in the currently selected tab.
Not entering the captcha phrase within a very limited amount of time blocks your IP from any further downloads for the next two hours.

All of this combined means that you basically cannot do anything else while waiting for the download to start, and also you cannot leave your PC because if you miss the capcha by a couple of minutes, it'll block you from downloading *anything*.

Now I get that these filehosters need to make money somehow (by pestering you to buy a premium account). But Filejoker is just ridiculously annoying and obnoxious in that regard.

Make me wait - I'm fine with that.
Limit my download speed - I'm fine with that.

But please don't make me sit in front of my computer like a trained monkey.

Free Download:

2 minutes of Countdown.
The countdown only works when the filejoker website is in the currently selected tab.
Not entering the captcha phrase within a very limited amount of time blocks your IP from any further downloads for the next two hours.

All of this combined means that you basically cannot do anything else while waiting for the download to start, and also you cannot leave your PC because if you miss the capcha by a couple of minutes, it'll block you from downloading *anything*.

Now I get that these filehosters need to make money somehow (by pestering you to buy a premium account). But Filejoker is just ridiculously annoying and obnoxious in that regard.

Geez.
Glad I never had to deal with them.

Free Download:

2 minutes of Countdown.

Use Jdownloader, and you won't have to deal with that bullshit.

Either my arms are freakishly long (compared to my height), or every single tote/shopping bag I own has handles that are too long.

I can't walk with any of these bags, without them dragging on the ground. I'm constantly having to wrap the handles around my fist to take up the slack, which is annoying and can be uncomfortable.

You're not alone. I think that the real problem is that many women - my wife included - use these totes like shoulder bags. The makers' accommodation for this is to make the handles long enough for the bag to be used comfortably in that mode. At one time, I had a few of them that I used to carry notebooks and supplies for various clubs, but had the same problem you have. The issue was resolved by an unrelated comment from a friend who runs a local computer sales/service company. He told me that if I ever needed laptop bags to let him know, as his customers often ask him to dispose of them. I chose a couple of bags for older, large laptops and the shopping bags got relegated to the garage-sale pile!

If, however, you're actually using these bags for something like grocery shopping, this post is totally useless! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

SL

Everything from groceries, to workboots and hard hat, to electrical components and furniture samples. Just "general use", and it's nice to be able to fold them up when they are empty.

Traffic light patterns programmed by morons.

Some examples I got caught in recently.

DxnYiLH.png

The cross street is a minor subdivision. In the 2 years I've lived near this intersection, I've never seen more than one or two cars come out of there. But the signal cycles all night. There are times I can get stuck at a red light for no one. Very frustrating. I can barely understand having a signal at all since there are much bigger subdivisions in the area that join the same road with no signals and they seem to handle morning and evening rush hours just fine.

TkkXI43.png

Here you have an entrance to a driveway. There used to be a school there, but now its a field and the driveway is blocked off. Furthermore, the other end of this driveway is not controlled. You'd think they would have taken this light down? Or at least changed it to a 24/7 flashing yellow? Nope, the damn thing still cycles.

EDds8QH.png

Two signals to two subdivisions. Usually they're synced together, but sometimes they're not. How do I know? Because a few nights ago, I got caught at both of them. At 9:45pm. With no other cars in sight.

And there are countless other examples. There are three very obvious solutions to these problems. In order of increased cost/complexity, (1) Set them to flashing yellow/reds at certain hours overnight (2) alter the patterns to have longer greens for main roads in non-peak times or ideally (3) replace them with smart lights that sense traffic flow.

I know it would be a fairly big infrastructure tear-up to replace all traffic lights, but my parent's town did it a few years ago and now I'm spoiled. Its really a fantastic concep. Main road lights remain green until a car is detected on the cross road. Then the light changes to let that car through, and changes back to the main road immediately after. If there are two cars on the cross road, it lets both through and changes back. There's even one intersection where if you want to turn off the main road onto the side road, it will give the oncoming traffic a red to give you a protected green arrow, then switch back. And the best part - the sensors start far enough from the intersection so that you don't need to stop. There were teething problems at first though - motorcycles sometimes weren't detected and riders would have to jump off to press the pedestrian crossing button to get the light to change, so the town did set the cross street to a quick cycle every so often, but that's a very minor delay if any.

Granted, these annoyances are all very first world. Oh no, I have to sit here in my car for an extra two minutes. But I started thinking, how many tons of CO2 are emitted by cars stopping for, idling at and re-accelerating from traffic lights that serve no purpose. I'm willing to bet its a non-negligible amount. And in this age of "environment impact this" and "environment impact that" this seems like a very obvious thing to address.

How many parts suppliers supply brackets with captive nuts welded in that aren't tapped?!

I've spent my entire afternoon and evening trying to fix the dishwasher. I did eventually succeed, but the cause of the problem was annoyingly simple: a superfluous O-ring that, for some reason, suddenly decided stop a valve from closing properly. There hadn't been any issues for years. :wall:

I hate having to go to a customer and say ?that thing that?s been working great for years? Yeah, it?s been fucked from the start and I can?t believe nobody died, it?s fixed now but, it works slower than before. You need to do x y z so that we can work at the levels as before.?