The "Things that annoy me" thread

To be fair, "Haupt" in german can mean "Kopf" (head in english) so weishaupt and weiskopf (pronounced badly) can mean the same thing...

That could be because they don't know (or don't care) that it's a german name. I get why english speakers who don't know that would pronounce the first part "wiss" instead of "wise" because they don't know that "ei" is always pronounced like "eye", and the second part might be "hopt", not "bop" because of the similarity to "caught" or something.

:idiot: Ouch, ouch, alright, alright, I'll show myself out...

I would be fine with "Weis" being "wees" or something as English speakers get that wrong commonly, the "haupt" part I expect to sound like "hawpt" as other 'au' spelt words are pronounced this way. I fully expect the words in the name to be pronounced correctly. To have extra letters added in and some of the original removed makes no sense. It's like when people intentionally do it to be "funny" which doesn't work here.

I don't mind saying it different here as people are going to think I'm some prick if I say "veiss howpt" So I will say "weiss hawpt" instead. Though I find myself going back and forth on the second half of "haw or ow." It just bugs me when someone says it waaaaay off.

The final project for my typography class is to 'create' our own typeface by hand and then vectorise it in FontForge. Drawing the letters was a boring process, but nothing too hard. However, FontForge is so badly optimised for Windows it makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

It lags so much I have a feeling I'm working on a Pentium 4 PC, with 256MB of RAM and a hard disk from an iPod. And I can't figure out what's causing the problem, the professor has no clue, the other students have similar issues, and internet provides no answer, since it's some sort of obscure software nobody seems to use, except for us, because we have online classes and the uni can't afford Illustrator licences for everyone.

At least it makes every other piece of software on my laptop feel super snappy, so there's that.

The final project for my typography class is to 'create' our own typeface by hand and then vectorise it in FontForge. Drawing the letters was a boring process, but nothing too hard. However, FontForge is so badly optimised for Windows it makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

It lags so much I have a feeling I'm working on a Pentium 4 PC, with 256MB of RAM and a hard disk from an iPod. And I can't figure out what's causing the problem, the professor has no clue, the other students have similar issues, and internet provides no answer, since it's some sort of obscure software nobody seems to use, except for us, because we have online classes and the uni can't afford Illustrator licences for everyone.

At least it makes every other piece of software on my laptop feel super snappy, so there's that.

This sounds like my North American arm’s quoting program that was written in MS access in the late 90s...

I bought 2-weeks-worth of groceries. The recipes that use the bread, with a very short expiration date, also use the meat with the longest dates.

Freeze the bread? :dunno:

I should add: we always freeze our bread straightaway if we don't ues it up in a single day, because even after one day, the frozen stuff run through the toaster is usually much better in comparison.

Clearly this is an indication that you need to make your own bread.

This sounds like my North American arm’s quoting program that was written in MS access in the late 90s...

My main quoting tool at work is copyright 1981. It’s been modded to within an inch of its life to do all sorts of things it wasn’t intended to do, but it hardly ever crashes...

My main quoting tool at work is copyright 1981. It’s been modded to within an inch of its life to do all sorts of things it wasn’t intended to do, but it hardly ever crashes...
Wow. Fortunately/unfortunately we have to adhere to regulations on unsupported software, it's now part of my job to weed out the old garbage.

Wow. Fortunately/unfortunately we have to adhere to regulations on unsupported software, it's now part of my job to weed out the old garbage.

It is quite literally the backbone of the company, is used by all departments for pretty much everything. We were going to switch to a whole new concept but after a couple of years of faffing around and testing it turned out that what we want to do isn’t possible on the new architecture.... so we’re staying, for now

It is quite literally the backbone of the company, is used by all departments for pretty much everything. We were going to switch to a whole new concept but after a couple of years of faffing around and testing it turned out that what we want to do isn’t possible on the new architecture.... so we’re staying, for now

Supposedly February 25th is the day we're finally shaking off this awful MS access made quoting program. To turn a quote into a PDF or print it, as it takes the same time, I can hit export, get up, walk the 15 steps to the kitchen and walk back after pouring coffee, milk, and stirring it. It will only just be finishing as I go to sit down. Every time you open a window, it's 5 seconds, to add something, again 5 seconds. Imagine if amazon's "add to cart" system worked like that?

Untitled.png

*waits 10 seconds* sometimes it comes back, other times you have to force close it and restart...

Waiting anxiously for progress bars has probably made up 25% of my career.

I spent a lot of time coming up with a color theme for the metal pieces on a table saw sled I want to build: black and red.

The red of my aluminum t-slots is a different color red than the red of the adjustable aluminum stop block.

The red of my aluminum t-slots is a different color red than the red of the adjustable aluminum stop block.
Rockler stuff or custom made/purchased separately? You could just strip them and re-anodise them, seems like an interesting process.

Rockler stuff or custom made/purchased separately? You could just strip them and re-anodise them, seems like an interesting process.

If i had more than 3 pieces, I'd consider it. Ha!

The parts are from different manufacturers. The red stop block is Katz-Moses, and the red t shots are Shop Fox.

I just received the miter slot slides.

They are different red. :rolleyes: Amusingly, this is the red I was hoping all three pieces would be, and it's on the pieces that will never be seen when the item's in use. Ha!

The Billboards for Instagram, and TV commercials for TikTok I've seen. What's next, radio commercials for Facebook? Newspaper ads for Snapchat?

I have 6-year-old 4K TV, and it's already considered "too old" to get an HBO Max app. So the only way i can watch it, is to screen-share from my phone (both are Samsung), which only fills about 80% of the TV screen, the audio is slightly out-of-sync, and you can't use the phone for anything else (unlike the way I can actually "cast" from my phones for Hulu, Youtube, Netflix, and with the Vizio TV in the bedroom).

So annoying. Glad HBO Max is free with my home internet service. (Yes, I'm using it even though it flies in the face of Net Neutrality, but I'm also not cancelling another service instead...so that's me rationalizing my hypocrisy, ha!).