The "Things that annoy me" thread

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Insignia CT 4x4 CDTI Biturbo
One of the supermarkets near me just got a new recycling machine where you just pour the contents in and let it figure everything out. This is very awesome. It doesn't do glass bottles though, which isn't awesome. Only plastic and aluminium cans.

It also has an Estonian language option which is nice now that travel isn't very advisable.

Perc

Car(s)
Workers in an articulated lift are painting my building at the moment. It's self-propelled with a diesel engine of some sort.

Every few minutes or so the diesel starts with a black cloud, goes BRRRRRRRRR for 15 seconds and shuts off again. Whenever they're doing it near my open window it smells like an old Mercedes in here for a while.

I understand they have to do their work, but I do feel like electric would be a better option for things like this. I also wonder how long the starter (or even the engine as a whole) lasts in one of these.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
'12 Fiat 500, '87 Mercury Colony Park
Workers in an articulated lift are painting my building at the moment. It's self-propelled with a diesel engine of some sort.

Every few minutes or so the diesel starts with a black cloud, goes BRRRRRRRRR for 15 seconds and shuts off again. Whenever they're doing it near my open window it smells like an old Mercedes in here for a while.

I understand they have to do their work, but I do feel like electric would be a better option for things like this. I also wonder how long the starter (or even the engine as a whole) lasts in one of these.

Thats odd, I can’t imagine the amount of dirty starts make any sense to just leaving the engine run. Generally here if those lifts are petroleum of some type, they’re just on until you turn it off, the Diesel engine will run a hydraulic pump so that always has to be available.

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Left a bit, no right a bit, just there. England.
Car(s)
2020 Tesla Model 3, 1990 Discovery 1 Bobtail
Sounds more like an air compressor, although I'd expect them to be using an airless paint sprayer for a big job like a building. :unsure:

Perc

Car(s)
Sounds more like an air compressor, although I'd expect them to be using an airless paint sprayer for a big job like a building. :unsure:

No, it’s a diesel engine, the engine that runs the lift the painters work out of. I’ve seen and smelled the dirty start countless times over the last weeks. They start and run it for anywhere between five and fifteen seconds every time they need to move to a new spot.

It’s also a miracle that running it for only seconds at a time doesn’t kill the battery.

And they’re painting with rollers, by the way.

2FD7C939-9533-4FE7-B788-015D9F3CF3AA.png

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
'12 Fiat 500, '87 Mercury Colony Park
No, it’s a diesel engine, the engine that runs the lift the painters work out of. I’ve seen and smelled the dirty start countless times over the last weeks. They start and run it for anywhere between five and fifteen seconds every time they need to move to a new spot.

It’s also a miracle that running it for only seconds at a time doesn’t kill the battery.

And they’re painting with rollers, by the way.

View attachment 3561937
this is exactly what I was thinking of. I wonder if in eco-minded markets the engine doesn't stay running like they do here. You can even get those with battery power, I've worked with them before and I hate how dumb the controls are. You know how when a news reporter is off somewhere far from the station and they give that dead stare for a few seconds after the reporter in the studio stops talking? That's how those things work. I watched a guy run over his drill bit box and shouting "no no no!" as you hear the crunching of plastic. He thought he stopped driving the thing early enough, but no.

Perc

Car(s)
I wouldn't want a diesel engine running outside my kitchen window all day long either, so I guess starting and stopping the engine every time you need to move is the better option.

But this is one place where even mains power would work because it's readily available.