The "Things that annoy me" thread

"Hello, we cannot hire you because of this one qualification, it is the Special Electrical Understanding for Snobs."

"Yes, my degree covers that, it was one of the classes I spent 6 months of my life doing."

"Well, I need clear evidence."

Great, now why didn't you tell me this 2.5 months ago?

This was what an HR person told me. Come to find out from somebody I know that this qualification is about as basic as you can get, pretty much insulting to ask me at this point. Time to spend more time wasting so I can get that fancy paper.

@93Flareside Wait, is this the German company and the German transfer? And you are surprised that they are being pedantic about checking all the boxes? Isn't that a very German thing?

My girlfriend has been watching Glow Up. There are two closed doors between that TV and I, and I can still here this judge/host and her catch phrase...

"Hello, we cannot hire you because of this one qualification, it is the Special Electrical Understanding for Snobs."

"Yes, my degree covers that, it was one of the classes I spent 6 months of my life doing."

"Well, I need clear evidence."

Great, now why didn't you tell me this 2.5 months ago?

This was what an HR person told me. Come to find out from somebody I know that this qualification is about as basic as you can get, pretty much insulting to ask me at this point. Time to spend more time wasting so I can get that fancy paper.
Yup, sounds like Germany. :(
The bad thing is that this is completely predictable and they really could have told you what formal qualifications they require well beforehand.

@93Flareside Wait, is this the German company and the German transfer? And you are surprised that they are being pedantic about checking all the boxes? Isn't that a very German thing?

It is, I am asking around how to find a way to get this certification locally as it’s something through chamber of commerce’s and the good thing is there’s a German one in Chicago. It’s frustrating, but not the end yet.

Yup, sounds like Germany. :(
The bad thing is that this is completely predictable and they really could have told you what formal qualifications they require well beforehand.

I knew there was going to be some, but I assumed with everyone’s rosy attitude I figured they was known and being intercompany they’d wave it or have some sort exception. But acting like they didn’t know is stupid on their part. How do you not know?

How do you not know?
Just to be fair: At least for the kind of job you do, I gather it is not common here / in German companies to have applicants from the US, muss less ones with actual job experience/certificates acquired in a completely different system. This situation is probably almost as unusual for them as it is for you.

Still, it's HR's job to be on top of that. I hope this gets all sorted out and you can move here.... at some point... in this decade. :D

Just to be fair: At least for the kind of job you do, I gather it is not common here / in German companies to have applicants from the US, muss less ones with actual job experience/certificates acquired in a completely different system. This situation is probably almost as unusual for them as it is for you.

Still, it's HR's job to be on top of that. I hope this gets all sorted out and you can move here.... at some point... in this decade. :D

Im asking as many resources as I can. Between the same HR guy who offered to help, @theemichi, my old boss who had a relationship with the local German chamber, and a coworker who I’ve been speaking with since October on this still has contacts at his Dortmund office.I’ve personally emailed the local German chamber as well, but we know how organizations with a general email box work…

I just noticed today that the sidewalk outside my balcony is full of cigarette butts. Several days of chain smoking’s worth.

Apparently the guy above me (or likely his relative with a drinking problem that seems to be crashing at his place atm) likes to just flick his fags down onto the sidewalk when he’s done. Some people just like to live like pigs, I guess.

I have to say though that a previous tenant in the flat was a married couple with a drug addiction, and i’ll take a chain smoking slob over them every day.

Yes, I need a house.

I was out on my balcony taking a breath of fresh air when I noticed a random woman cycling by on the street outside. Then I heard “hello pretty woman” coming from the balcony above mine.

These are top notch human beings.

I had to order a small illuminated on/off/on toggle switch from Spain because they are apparently the only European supplier. The alternative was buying it from the US. Switches from the same supplier are available for next-day Prime delivery on Amazon but not this one, naturally. It seems to be the only switch of its type too that exists in the entire world, which is surprising.

Also I just sneezed and bit my tongue...

I ordered a new Roku that does double duty as a sound bar and they sent me the wrong shipping info. The number was right, but they said it was coming via USPS instead of FedEx. I was also half expecting it today so I checked to see if it was close only to find out it is delayed in Wyoming... Wyoming?

I ordered a new Roku that does double duty as a sound bar and they sent me the wrong shipping info. The number was right, but they said it was coming via USPS instead of FedEx. I was also half expecting it today so I checked to see if it was close only to find out it is delayed in Wyoming... Wyoming?
people ship things to Wyoming?

Recipes like this:

1628278527734.png

Directions​

Step 1
Place the chicken thighs in the bottom of your slow cooker.
Step 2
In a small mixing bowl, combine the soy sauce, ketchup, honey, garlic, and basil. Pour mixture over the chicken thighs.
Step 3
Cook on low heat for 6 hours.
1628278539116.png

This is just one of those example of "false advertising" in recipes, along with the "Cook down onions until caramelized, about 5 minutes" bullshit.

As someone who really only started some more serious cooking in the last, say, 2 years, recipes like this are very discouraging for a new cook when nothing comes out anywhere near the picture.

This is how that recipe would come out as-written:
1628279158793.png

took me a while to think about this because my brain is like Internet Explorer 5.

You sure it's not Wyoming Michigan?

The package is now going in the wrong direction, it is now in Nebraska...

Logistics, how does it work?

But, I've been there!
I don't believe you, you're one of THEM who perpetuate the myth by telling purpotedly personal anecdotes!!11!eleven

(At least that's the reasoning by people who believe in the Bielefeld conspiracy, of course mostly joking, but unfortunately sometimes dead serious)

I don't believe you, you're one of THEM who perpetuate the myth by telling purpotedly personal anecdotes!!11!eleven

(At least that's the reasoning by people who believe in the Bielefeld conspiracy, of course mostly joking, but unfortunately sometimes dead serious)

I will have to dig for it, but there are photos of me there. Will that help? lol