The "Things that annoy me" thread

More confusing than annoying, but people that use the runny nose emoji ? when they mean crying ? or the “tasty” ? one when they’re joking ?.

I’m all Apple. Is there some variant of Android or something that does emojis differently?

Edit: after hitting submit and having my Apple emojis from the post editor converted to the forum ones, everything translated perfectly FWIW.

Well, they're all ever so slightly different and I can see why some people may get them mixed up in those cases you're mentioning... also, emojipedia shows a lot of examples of how the individual implementations look, so maybe it is a particular interpretation that's to blame here?

More confusing than annoying, but people that use the runny nose emoji ? when they mean crying ? or the “tasty” ? one when they’re joking ?.

I’m all Apple. Is there some variant of Android or something that does emojis differently?

Edit: after hitting submit and having my Apple emojis from the post editor converted to the forum ones, everything translated perfectly FWIW.

I thought the runny nose emoji was the one like this: ?

I thought the runny nose emoji was the one like this: ?
Well to be fair the official name for the one perc mentioned is sleepy face - which doesn’t make any sense to me. Also why is the runny nose thing listed as official aka??? Like what kind of mess is this, from the official side, no wonder people use the things all weird and wrong!

Lately the phrase “Quick question” has been pissing me off.

"My question is more important than whatever you are doing right now, please stop and listen to me"

Sitting in a local Mexican restaurant the other day, the booth behind me had a lady sitting by herself when we were seated, didn't think anything of it. The waitress came and asked if there was anything she could get her while she waited for her husband to arrive. She asked for a saltshaker, that Carlos always got her a saltshaker. Seemed like an odd request, but I looked on our table and, sure enough, they had replaced the salt shaker with a cheap plastic grinder. Whatever, perhaps she doesn't like the course salt. In the meantime the husband arrives, I never saw him, but I felt him arrive when a flopped on the shared seat behind me. It was like an earthquake. Meanwhile I can hear the waitress in the kitchen asking for a saltshaker from the kitchen and waitstaff. She returns to the table empty handed. The lady goes on and on about she can't use the grinder and that Carlos always gets her a saltshaker, etc. Seemed excessive of her as the waitress had tried her best.

Here's the part that gets me, it was bad enough that the lady and her husband kept going on about it to the waitress, but their comments after she left that got me. The husband says to his wife, completely sincerely, "They are probably just trying to save money on salt!" WTF?! Really? This is what you assume they are doing?

People are the worst.

I witnessed today, somebody refuse to pay for their Greggs slice of grease pizza unless the staff could provide a paper bag that wasn't Christmassy.

I mean I dislike the whole Christmas beginning halfway through July thing as much as the next man but who gives a fuck when you're buying a £1.50 pizza slice from Greggs from some poor bastard on minimum wage? Get your thing and get out ffs.

Here's the part that gets me, it was bad enough that the lady and her husband kept going on about it to the waitress, but their comments after she left that got me. The husband says to his wife, completely sincerely, "They are probably just trying to save money on salt!" WTF?! Really? This is what you assume they are doing?
I heard someone say something like this about a business that painted their white window trim to dark grey. "I'll bet they did that so they could fire the person that washes and re-paints their white trim, and save that money." That person was me. And I was the one who painted it grey. Because that's what was trendy at the time, and I continued to work there for 4-5 more years. :lmao:

A gesalzene Rechnung is an exceptionally high bill, obviously with no relation to salt cost :roll:

Funny, we say 'gepeperde rekening', which I'm sure you can translate but for our English speakers simply means 'peppered bill'.

I'm thinking this stems back from the days when spices like salt and pepper really were some of the most expensive commodities in the world.