The "Things that annoy me" thread

Hmmm. Guess it’s a VW thing then?

For you guys maybe, my GTI and Alltrack were nearly perfect. Ford’s on the other hand with that S-Max I had, it was so late to the party I was manually forcing it start every time it rained during my 4,000+ kilometer trip.

People who add an "a" in "McDonald's" like "MacDonald's".
My brother inlaw calls the local grocery store chain "The Jewels" for Jewel Osco... mildly irritating.

TV has taught me that Americans say 'MickDonald's'. Maybe that's just the 'Royale with cheese' scene from the Simpsons or a general North-east accent thing.

I can't think of any British equivalents at the minute.

TV has taught me that Americans say 'MickDonald's'. Maybe that's just the 'Royale with cheese' scene from the Simpsons or a general North-east accent thing.

I can't think of any British equivalents at the minute.
How different is that from McDonalds?

How different is that from McDonalds?
Oh. ?

Well here the standard pronunciation of 'Mc' here is more like 'Muk' so it's completely different. :p

Oh. ?

Well here the standard pronunciation of 'Mc' here is more like 'Muk' so it's completely different. :p
Ah, like Musheh pees. :D

But yeah the elongated pronouncing people do sometimes…. Like a local pizza chain here called LouMalnati’s. some people say it slower than they would normally speak and are like “Lew MALNAHTEES.”

I bought a new container of dried bay leaves. The lid screws off, but it also has flip lid for sprinkling, like this:
1638579671250.png

Which is handy for things like garlic powder where sometimes you want to sprinkle, so you flip the lid, and sometimes you need to scoop a teaspoon, so you unscrew the cap.

But bay leaves look like this, and are used whole, because you remove them from the cooked food before serving.

7132iytvktS._SL1500_.jpg

I registered for my 2nd semester classes of school. Classes are starting to return to being in person. Which I think I would enjoy. Unfortunately, I'm still battling a digestion issue since April. I haven't left the house for more than 20-30 minutes, except for a colonoscopy a few weeks ago, and I don't have hope that it'll be changing any time soon. So that means I couldn't take a class I wanted, because there were only two options: one that was at the same time as a class I need to take, and one that's not remote; in-person only. Then, the English class I need to take, the only ones that were fully remote still, all of the teachers were 2.1/5 or below on ratemyprofessor. Bah.

When we remodelled our home in 2019, we replaced all of the gutters and downspouts with steel. They were hung so plumb, though, they droplets coming down from the top make it all the way to the bottom in free-fall, giving a muffled-bell-like sound when they hit the bottom out-turned elbow. In the evening as the air cools and deposits its dew on the roof, and the droplets start to coalesce and make their way to the gutters, we hear an hours-long drum solo from all corners of our house. I've tried using a "rain gutter muffler" pad in one, and all it did was get clogged up with gunk that washed down the downspout (mostly from surrounding trees).

It can be enough to keep us away sometimes...I'm surprised none of the neighbors have brought it up, because you can hear it even better when outside, so I have to assume it also telegraphs into their homes.

^That sounds like a good plan, I'm thinking out of the box though and wondering if you can add a small (possibly rectangular) hole that allows air in and forces the drops to the side of the pipe instead of freefalling to the bottom. I'm not sure physics is with me on this idea, or if there's a risk of it letting too much water escape. :think:

Also you could potentially change the angle of the pipe slightly.

Unrelated, it's funny that you mentioned bay leaves last weekend and how they are removed from food before serving. On the same day my boss almost choked on a bay leaf that wasn't removed from a curry. He survived.

^That sounds like a good plan, I'm thinking out of the box though and wondering if you can add a small (possibly rectangular) hole that allows air in and forces the drops to the side of the pipe instead of freefalling to the bottom. I'm not sure physics is with me on this idea, or if there's a risk of it letting too much water escape. :think:

For decades, boiler companies here put in “Turbulators” in the boiler tubes to “improve efficiency.” They’re twist pieces of plate steel for combustion gases to pushed against the tube walls do more heat is absorbed. I don’t buy it and never noticed a loss in efficiency with those taken out. So maybe twisted bits of steel can help break the fall in the way?

When we remodelled our home in 2019, we replaced all of the gutters and downspouts with steel. They were hung so plumb, though, they droplets coming down from the top make it all the way to the bottom in free-fall, giving a muffled-bell-like sound when they hit the bottom out-turned elbow. In the evening as the air cools and deposits its dew on the roof, and the droplets start to coalesce and make their way to the gutters, we hear an hours-long drum solo from all corners of our house. I've tried using a "rain gutter muffler" pad in one, and all it did was get clogged up with gunk that washed down the downspout (mostly from surrounding trees).

It can be enough to keep us away sometimes...I'm surprised none of the neighbors have brought it up, because you can hear it even better when outside, so I have to assume it also telegraphs into their homes.
Country fix: Dollar store toilet brush, cut the handle off, and stick the remaining brush in the bottom of the elbow.

Country fix: Dollar store toilet brush, cut the handle off, and stick the remaining brush in the bottom of the elbow.
The bummer is that these are welded/soldered/brazed/whatever it is, so I can't easily pop off the elbow when it gets dammed up with little twigs. There are 3 bends from the point it attaches to the gutters/eaves. Annoyingly, going with what we thought were the more high-end options had all sorts of other issues. We went with seamless aluminum gutters, and they buzz in the wind. And with the downspouts being steel and welded, I can't easily shorten one of them (one is just a little bit too low, so I can't get it to drain far enough out away from the foundation. The gutter shape we picked gets so narrow at the bottom (think "V" instead of "U") that it's super hard to clean it, so there's always muddy sludge going down the drains, into the sidewalks, driveway, clogging the downspouts, etc.

For decades, boiler companies here put in “Turbulators” in the boiler tubes to “improve efficiency.” They’re twist pieces of plate steel for combustion gases to pushed against the tube walls do more heat is absorbed. I don’t buy it and never noticed a loss in efficiency with those taken out. So maybe twisted bits of steel can help break the fall in the way?
Sounds like those 'fuel saving' things people sold to put in car intake pipes. The theory makes more sense in an boiler than it does in a car intake.
The bummer is that these are welded/soldered/brazed/whatever it is, so I can't easily pop off the elbow when it gets dammed up with little twigs.
Leave the handle on then, like a... tampon string. :p

Would give visitors something to think/talk about too.