The "Things that annoy me" thread

Aside from the price it's one of the things that is keeping me from buying a Mac, I would constantly need to switch backwards and forwards.
Everything is a matter of practice. Once you are "fluent" in using both environments you won't think about switching. I guess it's the same thing with RHD vs. LHD cars, as many people who have both in their fleet here can vouch. ;)

dear god our IT supplier took my work laptop away because something was wrong with its rollout... wasn't showing up in their system or whatever so I wasn't receiving updates anymore. fair enough. but.... since my user profile was quite large, about a year ago i decided to no longer bother with the roaming profile and set it to local. that's issue one lol - the other device they've given me is now basically blank and i have to make do with that today, which is fair enough and my own fault.
what is not my fault and drives me UP THE BLOODY WALL is what a complete piece of garbage they've given me. it's 5y old - which shouldn't even be a factor for the kind of office work i'm doing, but for whatever reason even rightclicking something results in a very pronounced lag and period of thinking from the damn brick piece of shit. i don't get how tihs thing supposedly has an SSD - it behaves like a hdd machine. yuck. luckily i planned mostly teams meetings for today, nothing where i'd actually need to interact with the thing otherwise i'd fear it'd go out the window by mid-day. ugh.

edit: more annoyances.
also the bluetooth mouse starts lagging like crazy if i start to use my bluetooth headset :|
2. bluetooth doesn't seem to want to reconnect automatically. so if i run away with the brick and come back, i have to manually make sure it reconnect to the headset and mouse.
C: webcam during teams meetings is completely out of the question. video of the other participants also feels like its down to some 5 fps max.

Last edited:
I've seen old Sandisk and Kingston (particularly) SSDs behave like that after years, they're cheap for a reason. I've finally had time to work on and implement live rebuilds at work so in our environment the old laptop could just be re-imaged in the office or from home. We don't use roaming profiles due to the massive files some people keep, we encourage people to keep everything on our servers but of course people lose stuff they forgot to save.

I actually need to use my work laptop today (Dell Latitude 7400, as I'm in charge of imaging I know it works right :LOL:), haven't used it for a month.

I've seen old Sandisk and Kingston (particularly) SSDs behave like that after years, they're cheap for a reason.
Yeah... of course it's an ancient Sandisk... a 128gb drive, even. I'm honestly surprised that thing still runs at all.

edit: it continues...
adding a teams-link to an appointment results in a 2 minute thinking pause. sending the invitation afterwards takes another 2 minutes.

also: how long does this sorta thing usually take? I can't for the life of me imagine it taking the entire day... but it very much looks like it will (they took the laptop 5 hours ago).

Last edited:
Sometimes I hate being correct. We put those in Core 2 Duo machines at the end of 2017 I think, to upgrade them to Windows 10 and make them last a bit longer. Good enough at the time but they've long since been sent to the recyclers.

I have a fairly new 256GB Kingston SSD here that I refuse to use because its read and write speeds are just rubbish, even in a USB 3.0 caddy. In fact I booted it out of the caddy when I retired my old 1TB Samsung 840 EVO because that still outperforms the Kingston. I'll tell anyone (who will or won't listen) that Samsung/Crucial SSDs are worth the extra money, 8 Samsung SSDs collected over the years and they're all working without a single issue. 😀

That reminds me, all the Macs at my uni are base-model 21.5" iMacs. Some 2013 models, some 2017. Guess what they all use? 5400 rpm HDDs. Of course you have to come early for midterms so you don't lose any time waiting for bloody things to boot up and open all the apps.

To make things worse, the 2017 models (and those are the most abysmal iMacs probably ever made) are clearance models bought in 2020, or early 2021. The point being, had they not been clearance models, they would've had SSDs, as Apple started putting SSDs even in that laptop-CPU'd model some time in 2020.

At least all the Windows machines have been upgraded with SSDs, but to make things even worse, those 2017 iMacs replaced all of the 2011 21.5" iMacs, which, despite being ancient by today's standards and unsupported for a long time, had 7200 rpm HDDs, so they were ever so slightly faster!

Yup, there's the dreaded call, something got screwed up and I'll get my laptop back on Thursday morning... :| Alrighty then, won't be doing much work tomorrow I guess.

That reminds me, all the Macs at my uni are base-model 21.5" iMacs. Some 2013 models, some 2017. Guess what they all use? 5400 rpm HDDs. Of course you have to come early for midterms so you don't lose any time waiting for bloody things to boot up and open all the apps.

This is why Halogens should not be the base headlight on a Golf.

It's true, if you offer a cheap option businesses will try and go for it as it adds up to a significant discount on a bulk purchase. It wouldn't matter if it was the choice between a black or silver laptop, a metallic or non-metallic car paint colour, but something that is used regularly like headlights or the HDD isn't a place to cheap out on. Again, I'm happy to have a say in what we buy and my opinions aren't ignored.

Mildly related, the company just bought a Dell Precision desktop with an i9, 64GB of RAM, a 1TB SSD and an RTX 3080 for visualisations. I reckon it's overkill but that's impossible to prove and it was a good deal. I just want to see how they crammed a 3080 into one of these small Dells.

I just want to see how they crammed a 3080 into one of these small Dells.
Have you actually listened to it under full load yet? Maybe that'll give a clue how well that particular endeavour has gone.
also: as an owner of a 3060ti FE, may i say those FE cards are surprisingly compact.

Don't those laptops with that 30 series GPU require two power supplies anyways?

Have you actually listened to it under full load yet? Maybe that'll give a clue how well that particular endeavour has gone.
also: as an owner of a 3060ti FE, may i say those FE cards are surprisingly compact.
I haven't, it's in the office and I'm working from home. My full size 3080 can make some noise but it isn't too bad. I really don't think the people using the card will come close to full load.

I haven't, it's in the office and I'm working from home. My full size 3080 can make some noise but it isn't too bad. I really don't think the people using the card will come close to full load.

I'm sure a few WFH cases may help test that. ;)

Oof, that's a bit harsh. If I have to drive to the office, I usually do 6:15... they annoying part is that I don't change that for days that I'm at home so I end up doing 5x snooze before getting that. That's just garbage.

Oof, that's a bit harsh. If I have to drive to the office, I usually do 6:15... they annoying part is that I don't change that for days that I'm at home so I end up doing 5x snooze before getting that. That's just garbage.

This. So much this. I’m not that much of a night owl but WFH usually means an extra hour or so of sleep. But that requires me to a) remember that I can sleep in tomorrow and b) manually snooze the clock beforehand.

B almost never happens. Wife hates it immensely since she’s one of those people who once awoken, is up and will stay up. She can’t physically do a snooze

Actually no, but I'm using a Mac now because of reasons, and it's the first time I've used an actual Mac computer in ages. It isn't really tailored to actual work (like spreadsheets and stuff). The mouse scrolling without a wheel is nice though, even if it scrolls the wrong way.

But thing's I'm used to for decades like ctrl-c and ctrl-v which are awkward.... the @ button is in the wrong place, and the keypad is all backwards (+-/* are all in the wrong place)

'delete' or whatever that button is called, doesn't put stuff in the bin

I thought I would be young and hip to adapt to this, but I'm more of an old fart than I think. Which is even more annoying

Apple introduced the world to copy and paste with cmd-C and cmd-V, and Microsoft didn't have a cmd key to use so they put it on Ctrl. This is my theory, anyway. I have both in muscle memory but my pinky complains every time I do repeated copy/paste work on a PC. I much prefer using cmd which is right under my thumb.

"Actual work like spreadsheets and stuff" well, it runs Microsoft Office so what's the difference? Excel existed on the Mac before Windows existed.

You can make the scrolling work the right way around, it's just a checkbox away. "Natural scrolling" or whatever apple calls it gets a big FEH from me. Just like their external mice which can burn for all I care.

Apple puts special characters in the "wrong" place but there's some logic to it. [, (and { are on the same key with different modifiers just like Ø is a modifier key under Ö, at least on the finnish/swedish keyboard.

Excel works fine but all of my shortcuts are different to what I’m used to. And yes I know Im being a crybaby and whiney bitch. Thats the point of this thread.

Also, I like the Apple way of scrolling, I just cant find a way to easily do the same on my windows pc (not without editing the registry)…

Excel works fine but all of my shortcuts are different to what I’m used to. And yes I know Im being a crybaby and whiney bitch. Thats the point of this thread.

Also, I like the Apple way of scrolling, I just cant find a way to easily do the same on my windows pc (not without editing the registry)…
Huh, I know I set that up on my work laptop the same wa Apple does it… is that a thinkpad driver thing?