The "Things that annoy me" thread

GRtak

Forum Addict
Because the sofa owns that storage bed!

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Passat Alltrack
When a mac user opens the laptop they unplugged and shoved in the bag a couple of days ago, it wakes back up and presents the user with whatever they were working on at the time. The battery meter will say 100% or 99% left.

When a Dell user does the same they're presented with a BIOS splash screen which turns into "on-board diagnostics" saying the battery level is critically low.

eizbaer

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
Model 3, Cargobike
When a Dell user does the same they're presented with a BIOS splash screen which turns into "on-board diagnostics" saying the battery level is critically low.
Huh, weird. My XPS13 that I didn’t use for a year booted back up at 60% battery. Somehow the energy management seems to have actually done its job and shut the machine down fully at some point…

Perc

Car(s)
Passat Alltrack
Huh, weird. My XPS13 that I didn’t use for a year booted back up at 60% battery. Somehow the energy management seems to have actually done its job and shut the machine down fully at some point…

🤷‍♂️ half a year old Vostro with Windows 11 and all the updates including all the ones available from Dell.

eizbaer

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
Model 3, Cargobike
Up to this point I always thought it was mostly the horrible customer support and service that sucked about using dell machines 😜

calvinhobbes

Forum Addict
DONOR
Dysfunctional online check-ins... no, dearest KLM, I do not believe that I'm the only person in the world trying to travel internationally with a visa. So how about allowing me to enter its details on your website or in your app? :wall:

narf

Sgt. Maj. Buzzkill
Car(s)
'19 BMW M240i
Dysfunctional online check-ins... no, dearest KLM, I do not believe that I'm the only person in the world trying to travel internationally with a visa. So how about allowing me to enter its details on your website or in your app? :wall:
They're busy scheming new ways for @ninjacoco's luggage to get lost again.

Perc

Car(s)
Passat Alltrack

It's also 2022 and not only are names like Räikkönen still spelled Raikkonen in TV sports, but check-in kiosks don't allow him to spell his name properly either.

calvinhobbes

Forum Addict
DONOR
It's also 2022 and not only are names like Räikkönen still spelled Raikkonen in TV sports, but check-in kiosks don't allow him to spell his name properly either.

It’s one thing on TV where it’s just disrespectful to mangle a name like that, but a different one in aviation.

The number of people, systems, devices, companies etc. that are involved and have to adhere to common standards is mind-boggling, so it makes sense to use simple ones. If that means we lose lots of special characters such as the umlaut, so be it. It’s not elegant, but workable no matter where you are, which is what’s required.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
'99 Opel Astra 2.0L
Ouch. I hope they’ve pulled their fingers out by now.
I learned through that problem that attaching Apple Airtags to things is a really great way to know for damn sure where you shit is. I'm sold on that.

calvinhobbes

Forum Addict
DONOR
I learned through that problem that attaching Apple Airtags to things is a really great way to know for damn sure where you shit is. I'm sold on that.

Yep. I’ve heard the same from non-medical couriers who check their cargo as luggage. It may not be cheap, but worth it if it means you have a way to trace your 27th piece of “luggage”.

Perc

Car(s)
Passat Alltrack
I haven’t had these issues myself but mom has had the “there’s an unknown airtag near you” message pop up once or twice. My keys are all tagged and my car key started making noise when I left it with my parents over a weekend. It confused them because I didn’t tell them this might happen. Didn’t occur to me.

All of these things are anti-stalking measures, obviously and that’s a good thing. But it can be annoying.

calvinhobbes

Forum Addict
DONOR
“there’s an unknown airtag near you”

Guess what happened when my brother’s bag was in the car, but he wasn’t.

And now I’m wondering what might happen if one of those courier shipments with one airtag per box activated the message. 😂

calvinhobbes

Forum Addict
DONOR
Dysfunctional online check-ins...

Fixed that for me. The marginally efficient staff at the German airport couldn’t do it either. To the transfer check-in desk I go… and I need to add a qualifier to my earlier statement about “workable no matter where you are”: that’s only true if you’re lucky and your documentation is bog-standard.

Cowboy

My name is Sheridan
You how certain people assume that all black/insert etnicity people know eachother?

In Belgium we have a local equivalent 'oh you are from 'insert town' then you must know 'guy I never heard of', euhrmm no......'insert town' has 36.000 people, divided over a main town and dozens of villadges, while rural, we don't all know eachother, ah yes I see he worked at 'place I never heard of' and he was married, to a woman you say? No that does not narrow it down sorry......

Last edited:

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
'99 Opel Astra 2.0L
You how certain people assume that all black/insert etnicity people know eachother?

In Belgium we have a local equivalent 'oh you are from 'insert down' then you must know 'guy I never heard of', euhrmm no......'insert town' has 36.000 people, divided over a main town and dozens of villadges, while rural, we don't all know eachother, ah yes I see he worked at 'place I never heard of' and he was married, to a woman you say? No that does not narrow it down sorry......

Is that the Flemish part? :)

Cowboy

My name is Sheridan
Yes.