The "Things that annoy me" thread

Honestly, as far as crispy bacon goes, this may have been my best batch in years.

The power went out just before we 6pm, and they said it would be back on at 8:30pm. Then midnight...now at 1am they just sent a text that it's now estimated to be 9am. My girlfriend teaches an online class and today is the first day. If we knew last night it was going so long before the power came on, we could have figured out a better solution than using my phone as a hotspot for her to use with my loaner school laptop...

communicating is hard.
that's something I don't get and a bunch of colleagues of mine are guilty of that as well.
with any slightly more complex technical project, the estimates are always crap. they have been for years. everybody knows. but still, every single time, again and again, they seem to think "surely, nothing will go wrong or slightly out of plan this time!" and give an overly optimistic estimate. even if the PM know what they're doing and simply double it, in most cases it still won't be enough and you end up with shit like your situation. Ok sure, going from 2.5 to 15 hours is a bit excessive, but still. it happens so damn often that i can't help but think "why don't you people just learn!?". it's much more annoying and inconvenient if you keep extending while you're at it than just to err on the safe side from the start - if you're quicker about it, good, people will actually be pleased and can at least be prepared properly. and you're not under as much stress and maybe do a better / more thorough job at it as well.

I know this is a different situation but when it comes to emergency utility repairs I always think of this picture

1674812504960.png

Sometimes it's difficult to estimate how long shit will take to be fixed.

Oh for sure, all the more reason to be very generous with an estimate, no? :D
Kirk: How much refit time till we can take [the Enterprise] out again?
Scotty: Eight weeks, sir. (as Kirk opens his mouth) But you don't have eight weeks, so I'll do it for ya in two.
Kirk: (considers) Mr. Scott. Have you always multiplied your repair estimates by a factor of four?
Scotty: Certainly, sir. How else can I keep my reputation as a miracle worker?

If you’re a mechanic and a customer comes and says „I had a coolant leak a few weeks ago, I saw where it was coming from on the radiator , but for safety as I was out of town, I poured stop leak in so I could safely drive home.“ would you not change the radiator? Would you just charge the system with pressure, then say „oh gee, I can’t find a leak, there’s nothing to change?“

Yes, I am annoyed and would have rather paid for a new radiator and have fresh coolant in the car instead of coolant with some stop leak floating around in it and bottled water mixed in.

If you told them directly to change the radiator and they didn't, yeah, that's not right.

The plan is in a couple of weeks when the Service G is supposed to happen, the computer says in the display, that when I go for this service interval, I will say „I am no longer asking, but demanding you replace the radiator and flush the cooling system.“

I take time, I rent a car so there’s no stress about getting to work on time, I even wrote a letter and checked with a translator (not Google by the way). Surely, that should be enough.

I had also said „I bought this car in November, I don’t know the age of the radiator hoses and please change those as I don’t want to be on vacation somewhere and have a problem.“ when I got back, the mechanic said „since charging the system and no leaks came up, we don‘t just change hoses for no reason.“

I had then said „I am aware of the Klack Klack Klack noise on start up when the engine is cold, if it’s a simple check valve, please fix it.“ nothing was done or explained to either.

I am annoyed because I don‘t want to get salty and think „ah, I only know best, if you want something done, You do it yourself“ type mentality, but it’s damn hard not to.

There's seemingly an endless supply of second hand B8 Passats out there right now and all of them are being advertised to me everywhere I go online.

1) I already have one.
2) Because of point 1, I don't want to know that there are ones out there with better options than mine.
3) Especially not when it's been a year and some change and second hand values are lower than they were in early fall of 2021 when I bought.

1) I already have one.
This is why I always think all the ad algorithms are pretty crap… it happens so damn often the algorithm thinks it’s sensible to show me (and pay for?) ads for stuff there’s no chance in hell I’d currently buy 🤷‍♂️ worthless…

There's seemingly an endless supply of second hand B8 Passats out there right now and all of them are being advertised to me everywhere I go online.

1) I already have one.
2) Because of point 1, I don't want to know that there are ones out there with better options than mine.
3) Especially not when it's been a year and some change and second hand values are lower than they were in early fall of 2021 when I bought.
I'm seeing the opposite with X5s.

There are absolutely none out there right now anywhere close to what I paid for mine, except for one which needs a timing chain, and is a tow only pick up.

Also: Tonight is the last night before schools go back for 2023. It's been nice and peaceful, but it's about to get busy again... and we're going to be stuck outside the depot today, as there is a power pole with an angle much like that tower in Pisa, half way up the driveway, leaning into next door's yard. They haven't complained about it - yet, but we're getting it replaced anyway. So, trucks in the driveway all day and no power.

Out of the 24 Popsicles in the box, there were only 3 different jokes on the sticks.

I noticed a similar thing with Keebler Elf cookies.

How can someone design a toilet badly?

The toilet we've had since the bathroom was renovated about 10 years ago has this annoying habit of just rolling toilet paper around in the water instead of actually flushing it away. It doesn't do it all of the time, just when you least expect it. Then you have to wait for it to refill before having a second, or maybe even third, go at it.

If you take off the tank lid, does your flusher have any sort of adjustable-ness to it? Like if it's push buttons in the top, are there legs that stick out that you can adjust to be longer? If it's a linkage to a side handle, is there a section with theads to tighten it up?

It sounds like the valve may not be opening far/fast enough. 10 years ago, most toilets (even the cheapest ones) should have pretty powerful flushes. Maybe not "flush a golf bag full of chicken nuggets" strong, but strong enough.

I had that problem with one with the top-mounted buttons. The mechanism has two threaded sticks like fingers that stuck out the bottom that are supposed to press in two buttons in the top of the flush valve. These two "sticks" didn't stick out far enough to fully press the buttons. Once I unscrewed those sticks a little so that when depressed,, they would push in the valve's buttons a little further, then tightened down the nut to lock them in place, the flush became much less half-assed. An extra 1/4" of length of those sticks was all it took to go from "ugh...again?" to never thinking about it.

Last edited:
Interesting that you say that as it sometimes does a short flush when you press the full flush button in, so that might be exactly it. Will investigate, thanks. It was installed by someone who was more handy man than plumber, I don't mean me either!

Interesting that you say that as it sometimes does a short flush when you press the full flush button in, so that might be exactly it. Will investigate, thanks. It was installed by someone who was more handy man than plumber, I don't mean me either!
As I just did this exact thing exactly one day ago 🤣 on a newly installed toilet, I’ll add one slightly counter intuitive thing: I had to actually snap off a part of the plastic push rod thing because it’d hit the rear / bottom out sort of before the linkage was pushed the full way. So do check on that also.