The "Things that annoy me" thread

I cut myself in the finger, and am now wearing a band-aid - of course exactly on the finger that I usually use to unlock my phone.
I hate that. Whenever I've sanded something I've made (woodworking), my fingerprints often stop working for a couple of days.

This "summary" email, from Etsy for my store, sounds sarcastic/condescending.

Screenshot_20230823-114821_Email.jpg

Last edited:
Would it kill them to alter the email script to not send an email if either number is zero?

I hate that. Whenever I've sanded something I've made (woodworking), my fingerprints often stop working for a couple of days.
I feel like you might be doing this wrong somehow. Maybe try using sandpaper attached to a block, or the other way around. :p

Face ID rarely fails, although it can't handle me wearing a cap and sunglasses. Good thing I don't wear a cap very often.

Face ID rarely fails
That made me think for a moment when I read that post… I completely forgot that fingerprint readers on phones are a thing… or in the majority even. Since I wear an Apple Watch basically always (except for an hour each day to charge), I don’t even have any hat/glasses/mask/shenanigans issues, either…

Face ID works great for me. The very first morning it didn't recognize me when I looked exactly like people normally look at oh god jesus o'clock when they've just turned off the alarm, but the second morning it had already learned my morning face.
1692818869017.png

It's been flawless since then, unless I happen to be yawning or sneezing during unlock. It's really a great feature. I wouldn't mind a fingerprint reader to go with that though, for those times when the phone is flat on a table or something.

What I do hate is one of my fueling apps that does Face ID in the middle of one of its endless "loading" screens. You have to learn that you have to stare at the loading spinner. Can't zone out, because it'll pop up a Face ID and then continue loading, and if you don't stare at it it will fail.

What I do hate is one of my fueling apps that does Face ID in the middle of one of its endless "loading" screens. You have to learn that you have to stare at the loading spinner. Can't zone out, because it'll pop up a Face ID and then continue loading, and if you don't stare at it it will fail.
Now that’s just dumb design, that is… why would it need to unlock while loading something? Doesn’t make any sense, no?

Now that’s just dumb design, that is… why would it need to unlock while loading something? Doesn’t make any sense, no?

Yeah the app is badly coded.

They also have their own Mastercard credit card which I have since they were the first to introduce Apple Pay in this country. They're now pulling out of the banking business so I've quit using the card but I can't delete the Mastercard from the app, there's no delete feature. It's not in my profile on the website, and if I uninstall and reinstall the app and log back in the card somehow syncs back in from my details stored in their system. So I guess I'm stuck with the card forever.

my wife just got a new ipad from work (school). its a 64gb base ipad. the old ipad was the exact same, but with 32gb. yes, they did this three weeks after the start of the new school year.
the timing is shit. the reasoning is shit. the entire management is shit. fucking morons.

anyway, to make matters worse, those ipads are ofc remote managed. the schools IT person (a teacher with zero actual know how) sent 10 panicky emails with lots of caps lock about creating backups before switching to the new devices etc... but now that the new devices are there, it turns out you can't actually restore the old ipad backup because the remote management forbids it.

it's honestly ridiculous, this could not have been done more badly and amateurishly if they tried to... wow.

I bought an "untrimmed" tri tip because it was in sale, $3.27/lb.

By the time I trimmed it, the remaining meat, divided into the whole piece's cost,, would have been more than the $8.99/lb cost if the "trimmed" tri tip.

Speaking of trimming, I dropped my beard trimmer's plastic extension piece behind the washing machine. Need to figure out how to pick it up without breaking my back.

A dowel/broomstick with a piece of double-sided tape (preferably the foam type) on the end?

Last edited:
Speaking of trimming, I dropped my beard trimmer's plastic extension piece behind the washing machine. Need to figure out how to pick it up without breaking my back.
One of those claw grabber things is clearly in your future

A vacuum with an extension or two, a nozzle with a screen covering the opening held on with rubber bands. The vacuum should provide enough holding power to rescue the wayward bit.

That’s mostly due to the fact that the German fines are honestly ridiculous… they might as well not exist in that range.
This. I understand that 109 / 102 is over the limit, but it doesn't warrant a 63€ fine IMO.
They even sent me a whole document about how speed kills and how much your braking distance changes as speed rises... which is fair and true, had I been doing like 65 kph in a 30 zone, but kinda misses the point when I do 102 in a 100 kph zone on a highway. Not many children playing on the highway last time I checked.

Today is the first day of class. This morning, I drove an hour each way to the school library to pick up the 4th edition of the book that was listed in the syllabus (and I'm dealing with a health issue meaning I also had to take two #2 pit-stops for this trip, making for a 3-hour round-trip).

In class just now, she said she just learned that a 5th edition was just published today, and she's going to let us know if we all need to return our 4th editions and buy the 5th edition...and buy, because the school library won't have the 5th. It's "only" a $60 book, but still...