The "Things that annoy me" thread

that is something I'm still actually surprised by: how bloody quickly it changed from certain smaller stores (bakeries and suchlike) not accepting credit cards at all to everybody running contactless. might've been a covid thing.
The one local gas station that sells diesel finally upgraded their pumps form the 1970s with newer (but still used) pumps that take chip and contactless. However, it still only works on swipe. 🤦‍♂️

Then, possibly worse than it only being able to swipe, it only allows $75 to be dispensed and if you try and swipe the card again it won't allow a second transaction. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Also, most of the ATMs here work both ways, as in, you can put physical money in them and they will deposit it on your bank account immediately.
I recently sold some of my kids bikes, and the buyer just handed me a bunch of 50€ notes.... I drove to the bank immediately, as I don't want to be walking around with that much cash, feels wrong...

I use the ATM to deposit some cash, but, opposite to how you feel, I feel naked if I don't have a couple hundred in cash on me. It's for the same reason you have the 20€ on you, in case a card/phone doesn't work.

It's only since last year that my dentist accepts payment through an app (and only through an app, not with a card). Which was incredibly annoying because you never knew in advance how much that days check-up and/or treatment would cost, all you knew in advance was that it was probably going to be expensive. So you either had to take a load of cash with you to make sure you brought enough or go to the ATM. The nearest ATM used to be 800m away, but since the number of ATMs started to diminish in the recent years in the end it you were screwed if you didn't have a car to go to the ATM from the dentist.

The other thing that really annoys me since I hardly have any cash on me (especially coins, if I have any they tend to end up in the kids piggy-boxes) is the occasional petrol station where the gates to the toilets still only accept coins. Most of them have been converted to also accept contactless pay, but it seems they don't work a lot of the time.

”I like cash because I like to stay on top of how much i’m spending“
If I ever pay for something with cash it feels like it was free because no money ever left my account. I get that some prefer to see cash being handed away though.

”What if your card stops working?”
That’s why I have a Visa and a Mastercard from my own bank, as well as a Visa from another. And most of them are stored in Apple Pay as well in case I accidentally drop my wallet in a meat grinder. Whatever cash I have in there is not backed up anywhere though.

“Are you actually paying with your watch? What if someone steals it?”
If it loses contact with my skin it turns into a brick until I unlock it again. Does your wallet do that?

”I like cash because I like to stay on top of how much i’m spending“
If I ever pay for something with cash it feels like it was free because no money ever left my account.
Exactly, on the rare occasion I have more than 50euro cash after selling something it usually seems to be a little too convenient to spend and ends up lasting a lot shorter than the same amount of money on my account would.
But in my case I'm quite sure it's a generational thing.

Last edited:
It's for the same reason you have the 20€ on you, in case a card/phone doesn't work.
True, but to be fair, my card is accepted in about 98% of all places so there’s hardly any need for cash

It's only since last year that my dentist accepts payment through an app (and only through an app, not with a card).
WTF Kind of hell is that?
My dentist usually just sends me a bill via email after my visit for anything outside the regular insurance… I’ve never even considered paying right there and then. Huh.

This wouldn't annoy me if it wasn't the BBC but they've streamed a compilation of old clips, that was already uploaded to their channel, calling it 'Live'. Bullshit. They're just after more clicks to generate more ad revenue, which is a scummy thing for anyone to do let alone the bloody BBC.

I'm not even going to link to it but it's on the BBC Earth Lab channel if you're interested.

People who buy ridiculous amounts of perishable food.

Example : I go to a bakery, there's 4 people ahead of me. I think, whatever, should take no more than a few minutes, no biggie.
Then person one starts their order with 10 (ten) whole loaves of bread, 14 croissants, and a whole bunch of other crap. Of course this takes ages, and because it's an older lady, she insists on paying with actual money (the coin kind, of course).

This goes on a bit, then the next person in line orders like 12 pies, etc etc. About half an hour later when it's finally my turn, the bakery is nearly empty and most of the things I needed are no longer there.

I have several questions :

- Do older people eat several loaves of bread per day, every day?
- why hasn't anyone died of diabeetus from ingesting 4 pies ?
- how can anyone eat so many things before they spoil/go hard? We, as a family of 4, struggle to finish a loaf of bread since it's usually hard and nasty one day after purchasing it

Only explanation I can find is there is a massive family party / birthday going on where all the kids and grandkids are invited, but still. Why

Same goes for fruit, I saw somebody absolutely fill their Dacia Duster with tonnage of apples, pears, potatoes, etc. And it was just a young couple. Who is eating 20 kgs of apples before they go bad? WHO?

I have several questions :

- Do older people eat several loaves of bread per day, every day?
Every time we'd visit my grandparents, even when popping in unannounced, they always seemed to be making bread. They'd basically have at least one slice of buttered bread with every meal.

Also, bread freezes very well.

- why hasn't anyone died of diabeetus from ingesting 4 pies ?
Sounds like a big social/event gathering. Also, pies freeze pretty well.
- how can anyone eat so many things before they spoil/go hard? We, as a family of 4, struggle to finish a loaf of bread since it's usually hard and nasty one day after purchasing it
We rarely buy grocery store bread anymore, but when we do, it's when it's something like "buy one get one free" bagels or ciabatta rolls. When we do, one goes in the freezer, and depending on what else we have around that we may need to eat, we might even put half of the other loaf in the freezer, too.

I must admit I often buy my bread with 5-10 loafs a a time. A family of six eats at least a loaf of bread a day, we put them in the freezer and get them out the night before. Fresh bread every day without a trip to the store or bakery every day.
I assume that's what those older people do too. Plus I think you know too that the older generation around here can't stand the idea of having people come over without being able to offer them a piece of pie, cake or any other type of pastry.

But then again, when we used to buy our bread at the bakery instead of at the supermarket (when bread didn't cost +/-3euro at the bakery while it still only costs me about 1,6-1,7euro at the supermarket) we always ordered it in advance. It was more convenient for us 'cause they'd be sliced, packed and ready for us to pick them up and for the bakery those orders are pretty much an extra on top of the normal daily sales as they don't come out of the normal daily "stock".
Same goes for pies when we have a party.

They'd basically have at least one slice of buttered bread with every meal.
I wholeheartedly approve.

Also, bread freezes very well.
This. We usually have about one whole loaf, sliced and frozen so we can just pull them out and run them through the toaster.

I must admit I often buy my bread with 5-10 loafs a a time.
however, our freezer isn't big enough for this and we maybe consume two loaves a week (plus a few small rolls).

But then again, when we used to buy our bread at the bakery instead of at the supermarket
it's a bit of a mix for us between buying from the supermarket (with the weekly run) and baking our own, although the latter has decreased a bit over the last half-year or so. I should pick that up again more, because I really don't want to know what sort of crap goes into the supermarket bread.

i have an annoyance as well: we have a bathroom washstand thing with 4 drawers. they're the soft-close and tap-to-open kind. pretty much exactly one year old now (we moved in last weekend of november 2022). one of the drawers won't solf-close / self-shut anymore. usually you'll just sort of throw the drawer closed and it'll stop for the last 5 cm or so and then slowly get pulled in to its final position by a spring loaded mechanism. that seems borked. it just stops 5cm open and you have to forcibly push it shut. everything else works (i.e. it stays shut and the push to open still plops open nicely), it's just the soft-close spring that doesn't get pre-loaded anymore. it's only the left slider thing that's borked, without the actual drawer in the right one still works fine. i checked and it's half of a 15€ piece of hardware that's fucked. so it's even cheap and easy to replace. but it sure is annoying as hell. especially when the washstand thing was fuckspensive. ugh.

also annoying: the manufacturer of the drawer-hardware somehow doesn't have a customer-facing service department, but is active in various online kitchen forums???? so the easiest way to get a replacement part is to register on one of those and message them via DM in a friggin kitchen forum. wtf is this shit? just let me email you for crying out loud

Middle-aged single men.

There is no birthright to a partner, especially not an above-average attractive one. If one expects their partner to look like they've just fallen out of OnlyFans or Instagram, put in some damn effort yourself.
  • Dress well
  • Work out
  • Get a decent haircut
  • Be willing to make an effort and step outside your comfort zone
  • Related to this, deal with your issues - if you've been single for years, it might be about you.
This does not mean everyone has to invest 4k€ in man-purses*, but one should at least care ("which blipshift shirt shall I wear today?" does not count). And if you don't want a partner who has love handles (is that term still PC?) and wears brightly-colored Jack Wolfskin outdoor jackets everywhere because it's so practical, look at yourself as well. What do you wear? What does your look tell about you?
And before you tell me this is oh so superficial and you want to be loved for your beautiful soul and intellect and not for the way you dress, why again do you refuse to even go out with that brilliant but overweight woman I wanted to introduce to you? Because her weight turns you off? Wtf? Oh, and why is your Tinder still filtering for under-30s while you are rapidly approaching 40? Because what your partner has to say is more important to you than how firm her behind is? Surely so. And why shall a woman respect all your time-consuming hobbies, but you won't date a single mom cause you don't want the limitations on your lifestyle that come with a kid?

This stems from a collection of conversations with a wide variety of men between 35 and 45 from different ways of life across the last few years.

EDIT: Also, think about target group fit - if you are an oil-stained wifebeater wearing, hand-rolled cigarette smoking, bottled beer drinking, classic car daily driving bloke, don't expect to score with posh cocktail drinking wannabe fashion models. You will attract mostly tattooed rockabellas. Not that there's anything wrong with that... but don't come whining about again not having gotten that model girl.

*This has nothing to do with money - one of FinalGears best-styled men, @public , takes pride in being a penny-pincher of the highest order.
Addendum, one year later - there is a strong correlation between making pubescent (anal) sex jokes/references and amount of time having been single. Correlation does not imply causation, it merely is an observation I recently made.

Last edited:
Here I thought it had to do with the music league playlist this week. :)

When I select "make a payment" in my credit card app, it gives me 4 options. None of them are actually the amount I'd pay to clear out the balance.

Yesterday, I applied my "cash back" bonus to the balance. Today I went to pay off the rest. But because that payment hadn't somehow "cleared" yet, it was only showing me "quick pick" button options to pay the original statement total, or the minimum payment of $30. But when I tried to select the statement total, it said that amount wasn't valid. And then it gives me the actual total due, less that small "cash back" payment.

Well, if you knew what the amount was and that it was the only amount that would be allowed...why wasn't that number on that shortcut button?! 🤦‍♂️

Well, if you knew what the amount was and that it was the only amount that would be allowed...why wasn't that number on that shortcut button?! 🤦‍♂️
Malicious UI design is a thing. Especially in this case, I suspect it may be a case of "make it as confusing or annoying as possible so people don't actually pay off their shit in full" :| assholes. also why I would never ever accept a credit card where I have to actually do anything myself in order to clear it out. not even sure that would be legal over here (as in: there has to be an option to automatically clear the balance before any interest is due).