The "Things that annoy me" thread

People who need about 1 minute to accelerate from 0-50 km/h at a green light.

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but it bugs the hell out of me: People who don't come to a full stop at 4-way intersections and they think that because you stopped first then that means they don't have to.

Try the old tricks: like the pointed-umbrella, the killer-elbow, the stumbling-leg... always with an air of normality. It works great time.

In crowds, I tend to avoid people as much as I can, swifting past them smoothly, but sometimes I get pissed off, and then simply stride on, staring right in front of me. Even if I am the opposite of a heavyweight, it works fine, and people move away from my path (it's standard behaviour to avoid crashing into other people). If it doesn't, contact with other people follows, usually shoulder-to-shoulder, and it becomes a matter of who pushes harder. The only good point is I'm so annoyed when I am in this kind of mood, that other people's annoyance get me happier in return.

One day, at a concert, I was trying to exit the place, with a line of friends following me while I was opening a path among the crowd. Everything was fine, until I found a dumbass that wouldn't budge. I stepped closer to him, to imply I was wanting to pass. Nothing. I politely said "excuse me", hoping he would finally get off my way. Nothing. Then I simply and literally put my arm against him and pushed him aside. He was surprised, and before he could regain his balance, almost all of us had passed. Then he regainsed his place, very very annoyed at us, just to receive another push by the last of us friends, making him actually trip and fell.

What a joy!

I find that, in most cases, putting your hand on the persons shoulder and pushing yourself forward gets people to move to the side. See Martin Brundle doing his grid walk as an example, he barges around the grid without trampling into other people. Also, if you get a strange look from the person you're trying to move past just simply say "excuse me," in a polite way and continue.

Sometimes though, the person has been in the way long enough to deserve a little pushing around. Last night this idiot lady was talking on her phone right in front of the toothpaste I needed. She kept yacking and yacking and yacking, blocking not only the aisle with her cart but also, effectively, the entire toothpaste section. She wasn't even talking about toothpaste! I kept trying to angle my way in, but she was deeply engrossed in the conversation and was having none of that. So I reached right in front of her face and got what I needed simply to make a point. She finally did then say excuse me, but STILL wouldn't move out of the way.

People reeking of cigarette smoke: you're a smoker, i respect that, forcing you to do otherwise it would be a bit like communism but try and not stink from 50 feet away

people that pat you in the head: a friendly pat in the back is nice every once in the while, but pat in the head WTF.

cosplayers

massive assloads of pointless work that does not count as a grade

soap operas

Here's one that has been eating at me for a while.
Teachers and other school staff that don't understand that good friends take the mick out of each other, we may be calling each other idiots or jackasses or feign punch each other but it's how males act around each other. For example, I was called down to behavior management because they thought there was bullying going on in my shop.
Turns out that a teacher walked in and saw us goofing around so she reported it and now everyone in shop is being questioned about this activity. What they didn't see was our class in gym the period before working as a team in kickball playing against another shop. So the result is a bunch of friends being suspected of bullying each other while they could be working to stop the real bullying going on in school.

We tease each other to show our appreciation for each other, not to torment and harass each other! Get it into your heads health and safety goons, just because we aren't all rainbows and butterflies to each other doesn't mean we hate each other, it means we're young men and respect each other! If somebody does start to take it too far we tell them that and they tone it down, we don't need you to tell us how friends interact with each other! When somebody needs help with school work, they get helped; and when we feel its time to get to work and stop goofing around you can hear a pin drop in the room.

massive assloads of pointless work that does not count as a grade

Ha, welcome to being a grown-up. Get used to that.

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but it bugs the hell out of me: People who don't come to a full stop at 4-way intersections and they think that because you stopped first then that means they don't have to.

Haha even worse to me... The people that stop 10-15 feet short when you've obviously beat them to the line just so they can say "I stopped first" and then try and zoom away in front of you.

That usually elicits a sarcastic thumbs up or a big middle finger from me :p

Ha, welcome to being a grown-up. Get used to that.

man, being a grown-up sucks, i swear if i wasn't studying for my dream job, i would've gone all ?insert you know what anime here? on them

i have a idea to encourage studying, every time someone answers a question right, give them $10. see if anyone fails

Last edited:
Music in telephone hotlines while you wait.

My insurance company -- and that is no joke -- uses Abba's "The Winner Takes It All".

Really annoying...

Pedestrians who don't walk in a straight line. It makes it really hard to weave through people who weave when I'm on my bicycle.

Oh, and before anyone bitches at me for riding on the sidewalk, this is on a college campus, so there are pedestrians everywhere.

Phone harassment. As in, mysterious calls that appear at all hours of the day and hang up in your ear. I've gotten three calls in the past two days from a (301) number, and every single time I try to call back and complain that they need to remove me from their list, I get passed around like a hot potato in their system between people who don't even know that they're connected to the number that's called me, people who try to claim that their auto-dialer manager doesn't talk to people, and people who flat-out hang up in my ear.

I hope their entire phone network (including the people at the other end of the line) gets eaten by plague-ridden rats. As of a few minutes ago, I've reported the turds to donotcall.gov, so hopefully they stop bothering me soon. I told them I'm on the list and they were like, "but we're not a telemarketer!" Well, then, what the hell are you and why are you calling me when I have no business with you? Ridiculous.

I hate getting stupid phone calls that hang up in my ear all the time.

Ohhh, annoying phone music. I loathe my school's phone system. They use music from our band, which sounds like a good idea, only it sounds like crap over a phone speaker and is nine-thousand times louder than the people who you get connected with. By the time I notice that the lull in music actually has a person talking back in there (because I have to turn the music down to maintain my eardrums--it's that bad), I'm liable to miss the voice and have the person hang up on me. Grr.

Last edited:
^ Collection agency. They will not stop. Once they have a number that they think might possibly be linked to a person who owes their client money, they assume you are lying.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure you can make every effort to contact them (including snail mail) and eventually take legal action. I'll see if I can find my half-remembered source on that.

EDIT2: If they are actually looking for you, assume their claim is fraudulent until proven otherwise.

Last edited:
She wasn't even talking about toothpaste!

So you wouldn't have been OK with it had she been discussing the merits of the multiple-colored stripes in Aquafresh, vs the monochromatic offerings from Crest and Colgate, or how she had found that Tom's of Maine works best for cleaning CD's?

It's fine when they don't loop the same song again and again.

I hate it when they inturupt the music to tell you...again...how important your call is to them, but that's not the annoying part. The annoying part is that the music stops abruptly, there's a clicking sound...and you get all your hopes up in a bunch that someone has just picked up, and then the recording starts talking again...gets me every time.

Last edited:
So you wouldn't have been OK with it had she been discussing the merits of the multiple-colored stripes in Aquafresh, vs the monochromatic offerings from Crest and Colgate, or how she had found that Tom's of Maine works best for cleaning CD's?

Well if she had been saying "Johnny, what kind of toothpaste did you want again?" There MIGHT have been a reason for her to be on the phone in the toothpaste aisle. Maybe.

The worst hold situation I ever had was a company that demanded you press a key every 30 seconds to remain on hold. When you did so, you got a repeat of the previous 30 second painful jingle. It was hell!

^ Collection agency. They will not stop. Once they have a number that they think might possibly be linked to a person who owes their client money, they assume you are lying.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure you can make every effort to contact them (including snail mail) and eventually take legal action. I'll see if I can find my half-remembered source on that.

EDIT2: If they are actually looking for you, assume their claim is fraudulent until proven otherwise.

I had this problem. What you do is send them a letter requesting further information on the debt or that they cease and desist with the harassing phone calls.

I actually finally got them to take my number off after the alleged debt had been sold 3 times to different collection agencies. I sent letters to 2 and never heard back, I called the third and they finally realized that I was not the one they were after.