The "Things that annoy me" thread

Everyone in my major, including professors, all use Macbooks or iMacs. There's only a couple of us who have Windows (mainly because we are gamers).

I think it's fine if someone prefers an apple product, but not when they are in my face saying stuff like, "YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND IT'S THE BEST THING EVER AND NOTHING COMPARES!" <--- That annoys me.

Really? Can your Macbook play Rift on high to max settings and cost around or under $1500? I don't think so (They don't have a Mac version... Yet, but even if you dual boot it's not going to play them on high like some gaming Windows laptops I've seen for under $1500). The normal/cheaper 15" MBP's are well over $1500. More and more PCs are also getting the hybrid graphics options so they can extend battery life when needed. The only thing is, is that the Apple OS has some good battery management code that I haven't seen too many Windows laptops achieve (minus that amazing Lenovo Thinkpad 12" that came out a bit ago).

I think it's fine if someone prefers an apple product, but not when they are in my face saying stuff like, "YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND IT'S THE BEST THING EVER AND NOTHING COMPARES!"
It's equally annoying when people automatically assume you're a narcissistic technology-ignorant Starbucks-addicted hipster fuckwad just because you own a MacBook Pro. It becomes even worse when they continue (no, I don't mean you) talking about how their PC was cheaper and how it can do everything the Mac can do but slightly better, just like kindergarten children who go "everything you say plus one" - even though they never actually tried a Mac for more than twenty seconds.

Conclusion: fanboys and bashers are annoying, no matter who they worship or hate. It's the same in politics, religion and many, many other areas.

Ouch. Mine is dented at the top left corner of the main body - no idea how it happened, but I'm positive that a plastic body would have cracked.

Last edited:
I'm just letting you know- I've been using Apples since the IIC. My Grandmother has a working one in her garage- speaker and all. Moved to System 7- Performa 6400/Power Mac 6500. Then iMac G5. I've also used the newer Intel iMacs. (And I have a basic understanding of Linux and how it works on OSX.)

iMacs just don't offer the same easiness of running games like MMOs for me without more hassle than it's worth. If I do get a new laptop I may get a MPB 13" because the screens are USUALLY pretty alright (sometimes there have been issues though with the screen quality, but that was mainly initially at the beginning of manufacturing). I honestly don't think Mac users are all hipstercafegoing people. Actually- I do go to a cafe that's popular amongst hipsters/hippies and other people in my town, but most of them all have Netbooks like the Samsungs and EEE's and Acer Aspire Ones. (I really want that Lenovo though, the 12" one is amazing! Great screen, great battery life-up to 15+ hours on one charge and it has a normal laptop dual core processor.)

In fact, my own Dad ONLY uses Macs because they says that it's the only platform that has the applications he uses. Sooo yeah.

No one expects you to buy a mac if you like computer games, it would like me claiming my car is good for off roading or something :lol:

No one expects you to buy a mac if you like computer games, it would like me claiming my car is good for off roading or something :lol:

But your car can? /thinks of that weird rally commercial from the beetle thread.. :p

How's that for spinning a thread off topic huh? :D

It is good for example at snow traction and dirt and gravel but totally useless to like drive over things as it has like 3" of ground clearance. :lol: In a similar way, you CAN play SOME games on a mac, but not nearly as many.

But I have seen some people buy them FOR GAMING! That's what is even weirder to me. xDD I think they liked the idea of dual booting, but I think it would be more of a headache than incentive to do such a thing. I mean, I know there are games for macs, but the only MMO that actually has a mac client is WoW, and I play Rift as well as I like to try various other ones. >: There is also Steam for Mac, I am quite aware of that.

I just think it's funny that everyone in my major (history) pretty much has a Macbook except for a few people like me. But then my Grandmother and Dad are avid Mac Users (Sometimes I have to help them out or my Dad throws ideas out and sees if I can help him with certain things even though he knows some stuff I don't know about Macs).

Generally most people don't need something super amazing and overpowered in terms of normal computer use- which is why I've seen a lot of websites suggest that most people should buy laptops since they are powerful enough for normal tasks. (I personally only recommend desktops if I know the person either doesn't need a laptop or they actually want to do some hardcore tasks like Photoshop or gaming.)

I do know someone who bought one for wow for some reason. IDK why you would buy one for history, as an art major I could understand but even then there were a decent amount of people on PCs.

Hmm... gaming... I recently bought Civ III Complete, does that count? :mrgreen:

Journalistic idiocy........AGAIN.
Amen! I've just tried watching a report on 1st May demonstrations/riots in Germany and the voiceover couldn't have been more biased and spiteful. They simply declared everyone present a rioter who deserved everything they got from the police, passersby included, and did nothing but mock them. They even filmed Bavarian units doing dirty work in Hamburg, quite possibly the very same units that became so famous for clobbering legitimate protesters elsewhere. WTF? I'm almost convinced by now that the purpose of www.spiegel.de is no longer journalism, but getting people so wound up that they'll click and discuss endlessly... can you say "ad revenue"?

Last edited:
I think it's because a lot of history majors could not be bothered to have to deal with windows viruses and some of those security vulnerabilities...? Macs suffer from some virus issues though, but I would say not nearly anywhere near as many as Windows does. However, I think it really all depends on how safe and internet security minded you are. I haven't caught a virus in over 7 years on a Windows computer. (And even one I did catch back in Freshman year of high school, it was a small one that was easy to remove.) I don't even use a Firewall, just an AV, and I do scan my computer (never find anything). I've also never had an account hacked- email, game, forum-wise.

Interesting enough though, some of those history professors I think have windows computers at home though.

Oh, but here was something that was annoying me this morning- I was playing on a Minecraft multiplayer server and some nub who was using a nickname wasn't listening to what I was typing (I was talking about how griefers try to spam item spawns for things like TNT, Flint and Steel, Bedrock, etc) and they were like GTFO the server. I responded, "Did you even read what I said? I said 'That is what most of these nubs do is go forget this if I can't grief the server' since they usually log out right after they are denied." Then that person went on to not listen to what I had to say because the server was lagging badly and they were like, IT'S YOUR INTERNET IT SUCKS. I'm like, it's not the internet when over 10 people are complaining. Even they admitted it was taking a few seconds for things to happen. They they went on to say how they had Failcast- which is what I ALSO have. And then they weren't getting the point of different between mbps and MB/s. Sure, you may get 20mbps, but that equates to about 2 megs/second or so. (Sorry I know it's not accurate, but I'm not totally off.)

It was just irritating, but funny because if that person ever seriously trying pulling that crap on a forum they would get yelled at for being confused and mistaken.

edit: calvin- I mean for playing stuff like Portal, Half-Life, MMOs, etc. Like, stuff people buy gaming desktops for. O_O

Yeah, they have had STEAM for Mac here for at least a few months, if not a year now. They don't have too many Mac-platform games from what I've heard. I always hear people talking about it.
http://store.steampowered.com/browse/mac

Fucking so called anti fucking virus fucking software companies.

If your software eats the entire CPU, it is a fucking virus, you retards.

Get Nod32. On my machine it's currently using 0% cpu and 66MB of ram. During a full scan, cpu goes up to 30-50% and ram to 70MB.

E8400 CPU.