The "Things that annoy me" thread

Isn't it prohibited to have a nazi party in Germany or to celebrate it?
Well, last time the German government tried to have a mildly prominent Nazi party (the NPD, big enough to sit in some local and regional parliaments, especially in East Germany) outlawed, they failed spectacularly because our domestic intelligence service (Verfassungsschutz) effectively runs it through undercover agents.

what happens in the first Saturday of September?
On Sept. 1st, Germany commemorates the "Anti War Day", as a reminder that the Nazis started WWII on that date. The day and also the following weekend is routinely used for political rallies dedicated to peace on earth, international understanding and all that.
A few years ago, some Nazis organizations in my town started to abuse that symbolic date to throw some rallies of their own. So now, every year on this weekend, it's Nazi rallies and the inevitable (and commendable!) countermarches and lots of police trying to prevent everyone but themselves from being overly violent. My town is the place of choice for the Nazis because here they have been given a nearly free reign by the police superintendent.

** Oh and on a side note ^ - I heard somewhere there are now more American Nazis than there are German. Is this true?

I don't wanna speculate about the state of mind of people. You cannot look inside them. But when you consider publc activities, Nazi sympathizers live out their views and ideology more openly in countries, where such activities aren't as prohibited, as they are here in Germany.

From what I gathered, being a Nazi doesn't exactly make you popular in the United States, too, but it falls under "freedom" there to be a Nazi. So as long as they don't commit any crimes, they are tolerated.

I'd say the number of rightwing expremists is about the same everywhere. They thrive in any place with social unrest, especially when there also is suppressed or open racism involved. Only here in Germany they aren't allowed to express themselves as much as they'd like, because it is forbidden by law to do so for historical reasons.

Other countries are more forgiving and liberal towards rightwing extremists and might regret that someday (see Norway recently).

As for the state of mind of Germans today, there is a clear difference between former West Germany and former East Germany. In the communist former East Germany, the Nazi past was never worked off. It was widely ignored. They pressed a reset button under the Soviet ocupation and went on with the next dictatorship, as if the whole Hitler reign was just a bad dream. They recieved redemption through communism.

While we Westeners got the full load of workup, guilt, remorse and national trauma, it was simply ignored in the East. Thus all the suppressed racism surfaced after the Iron Curtain fell. Until today the former East Germany is still considered very susceptible towards rightwing extremism and nationalism.

P.S.: By the way, a very similar thing happened to Austria, too. For reasons I still cannot comprehend today, the Austrians were considered Hitler's victims instead of accomplices and therefore recieved a clean bill of health by the allies. That kinda annoys me.

Last edited:
Makes me wonder what's better though, some rednecks in the woods knowing full well that if they act on their idea's they will immediatly be identified and arrested since the entire lawenforcement community knows who they are, or secretive underground movements with 'agents' God knows where....Germany's can have extremists in their governement right now for all anybody knows.

I like my enemies where I can see them.

That reminds me: Paranoia also annoys me a lot.

Oh yeah.....I forgot, such a thing is unimaginable in your perfect little country :rolleyes:
No secret nazi's in Germany! Not possible! Moving on :lol:

Makes me wonder what's better though, some rednecks in the woods knowing full well that if they act on their idea's they will immediatly be identified and arrested since the entire lawenforcement community knows who they are, or secretive underground movements with 'agents' God knows where....Germany's can have extremists in their governement right now for all anybody knows.

I like my enemies where I can see them.

A Belgian neo-Nazi organization, Bloed, Bodem, Eer en Trouw (Blood, Land, Honour and Faithfulness), was created in 2004 after splitting from the international network (Blood and Honour). The group rose to public prominence in September 2006, after 17 members (including 11 soldiers) were arrested under the December 2003 anti-terrorist laws and laws against racism, anti-semitism and negationism. According to Justice Minister Laurette Onkelinx and Interior Minister Patrick Dewael, the suspects (11 of whom were members of the military) were preparing terrorist attacks in order to "destabilize" Belgium. According to journalist Manuel Abramowicz, of the Resistances network, the ultras of the radical right have always had as its aim to "infiltrate the state mechanisms," including the army in the 1970s and the 1980s, through Westland New Post and the Front de la Jeunesse.

A police operation, which mobilized 150 agents, searched five military barracks (in Leopoldsburg near the Dutch border: Kleine-Brogel, Peer, Brussels (Royal military school) and Zedelgem? as well as 18 private addresses in Flanders. They found weapons, munitions, explosives, and a homemade bomb large enough to make "a car explode." The leading suspect, B.T., was organizing the trafficking of weapons, and was developing international links, in particular with the Dutch far right movement De Nationale Alliantie.

Things you shouldn't do in a glass house...

Now moving on...

Last edited:
Oh yeah.....I forgot, such a thing is unimaginable in your perfect little country :rolleyes:
No secret nazi's in Germany! Not possible! Moving on :lol:
Can you do all of us a favour and act like a grown-up? :wall:

I must add to this that politics annoy me most of the time. Which is why I'm so happy that we've got a separate forum for that stuff.

Last edited:
Our national basketball team... They can score for 2 and 3, have great attacks and be awesome at rebounds. But never more than 1 of those traits on a single game. GRRRR

I
From what I gathered, being a Nazi doesn't exactly make you popular in the United States, too, but it falls under "freedom" there to be a Nazi. So as long as they don't commit any crimes, they are tolerated.

If by "tolerate" you mean that if there was not laws protecting them against physical harm they would be beaten senseless, then yes they are, and I strongly quote, "tolerated."

Americans on the whole are a pretty tolerant bunch, because we are not homogeneous, but neo nazis really irratate us. Besides being annoying and idiotic, they are a reminder that we were pulled into a war we did not want, and lost many of our brothers, fathers, uncles grand and great grandfathers because of it.

There are a LOT of neo-nazis in Russia and former USSR countries like Belarus and Ukraine.

Things you shouldn't do in a glass house...

Now moving on...

Yes ? And? I'm well aware that we have these guys in our country, and many more...hell I know a few of em (not in blood and honour, they are the extreme of the extreme).
In general it's less secretive than in Germany, less out in the open than in the US. I'm sure every western country has them to some extend.
Wich was exactly my point why it's incredibly naive of you to assume such groups do not exist in Germany.

I was not attacking you, merely pointing out that if we are going to have extremist elements (wich we will always do), it's better to have them somewhat in the open, they might reach more idiots that way, but we know who they are, makes them less dangerous.

I just gave the German governement as an example of how deep these guys could penetrate....our military is hardly the CIA, but then again blood and honour (while insane), where still a ragtag bunch of misfits, so no telling what a well organised group can accomplish.

Last edited:
Oh, my, what have I started...

Thanks for the explanations, everybody, but you shouldn't argue. I've seen no real reason to do so, and... let's face it... getting angry on whether the neonazis are bad or more bad seems to me a bit of a nitpicking.

And I throw this in, because it's always appropriate:

Last edited:
I just gave the German governement as an example of how deep these guys could penetrate....our military is hardly the CIA, but then again blood and honour (while insane), where still a ragtag bunch of misfits, so no telling what a well organised group can accomplish.

Rightwing extremists are always a bunch of misfits. Being a dumb sucker is a key qualification for becoming a rightwing extremist. There is hardly any intelligence there. It's very easy to make fun of them.

Like the German counterpart to the "Today Show" showed very nicely:

[video=youtube;d8deCg5-vk8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8deCg5-vk8[/video]

That's an interview with a member of the rightwing NPD party. Sorry for it being only German but I think you get the message anyway.

Last edited:
^ Apart from the hilarious microphone thing, I don't think I got it right.

Is the man addressing to the people in the conference hall really a neo-nazi? Or is it a joke? My German is really bad and I couldn't get it by the words, but he was speaking in the same manner and tone as the former shortly-moustached austrian housepainter leader from the 30ies.

Does he do this for real?

Yes, he does it for real. The only joke was the way he was exposed/unmasked on camera.

Well, the microphone thing gets from really funny to outright genius then.

Ridiculing them in public is the best way to deal with those weirdos.

It's a stupid advert, also and I've never seen a black person in a Yaris.
News just in: New Yaris can park in a space where many, many other cars could... but not a monster truck...

Toyota really know how to market their average-as-an-average-thing strong points... In the form of a bad rap... sung by a white guy who seems to have got all his fashion knowledge from watching The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air...

I believe Rick expressed interest in that new yaris.

But that is a bad ripoff of the kia soul commercials. Really toyota? This ad expresses to me you are selling the knockoff version.