The "Things that annoy me" thread

Aww, that was sweet. I also hope that they did/will help out as his father has clearly put the effort in. It's also less trouble than giving away free candy.

Anyway I approve of a place called Discovery Ridge and the name Fletcher, because it reminds me of Ronnie Barker.

With regards to the orange poster, lights off and door locked.

The colleague just in front of me:

- Speaks loudly all the time
- Snaps his fingers all the time
- Hits his mouse on the desk all the time
- Taps his feet on the ground all the fucking time
- Doesn't hang up the phone, smashes it on the receiver when he's done

Holy shit, how did I last so long in this company without killing anyone?

15 days...

That's 15 days to think up as many ways as possible to exact revenge before your departure.... :evil:

They're not bad people, let's just say that we have cultural differences that they are making very hard to ignore.

I guess I should have expected it though, working as the only foreigner in a fully Chinese company. At least now I know :D

They're not bad people, let's just say that we have cultural differences that they are making very hard to ignore.

I guess I should have expected it though, working as the only foreigner in a fully Chinese company. At least now I know :D
Do you have to bring your own toilet paper?

You don't?

The fact that since a couple of years ago, some people here discovered Halloween, despite it not having any tradition or reason here. It's just a vehicle for companies to make more money with it.

Since I feel absolutely no connection with it. I simply ignore it. For instance I won't open the door when the neighborhood brats beg for sweets and when I see a woman in a costume, I ask with a disgusted face: "why are you so fucking ugly today?"

I hate it when such things are being forced on people like me, who couldn't care less.

Last edited:
The fact that since a couple of years ago, some people here discovered Halloween, despite it not having any tradition or reason here. It's just a vehicle for companies to make more money with it.

Since I feel absolutely no connection with it. I simply ignore it. For instance I won't open the door when the neighborhood brats beg for sweets and when I see a woman in a costume, I ask with a disgusted face: "why are you so fucking ugly today?"

I hate it when such things are being forced on people like me, who couldn't care less.
I assume the "don't approach houses with the porch light off as they're not doing trick or treat" nuance never made it over to you guys?

On the other hand, if your porch light is on on Halloween and I'm a parent or tween, you better believe im going to at least try your house.

Because. Candy.

Maybe put a sign on the door stating that you aren't participating, especially if your porch light can't be turned off/you feel like you shouldn't have to turn it off.

It's better than calling someone adopting a "new" tradition just looking for fun "fucking ugly" :/ oof

I simply refuse to pay Halloween any kind of attention. Not even the light scheme.

I understand that you celebrate it as a part of your national traditions but it has absolutely none here. It has been developing for a couple of years now because companies discovered it for advertising -- and because it has been a strong part on American TV shows and movies for ages.

We already have to deal with fast food thanks to America, so no thanks to feeding more candy to our children for absolutely no reason :p

Last edited:
You're welcome!

I simply refuse to pay Halloween any kind of attention. Not even the light scheme.

Then continue to have people come to your door asking for candy! Turn the light out for one night, put a sign up if you still get a few knockers, and move on man. Life's too short to stress about stuff like this. :)

Then continue to have people come to your door asking for candy! Turn the light out for one night, put a sign up if you still get a few knockers, and move on man. Life's too short to stress about stuff like this. :)
i'm with him on this one. he lives in germany, not the USA. things are different here, especially in regards to whatever the hell halloween is supposed to be.

there is no generally accepted rule around keeping lights on when you're prepared to receive trick or treaters or anything of the sort. this custom does not exist here, so why should he be inclined to act according to it. it's ridiculous. it should be the exact other way around: people who take part in this "tradition" that's pushed upon us by corporate marketing and finds some (and i want to stress this: it is far from the norm for kids to be out trick or treating here) should go out of their way to make this "holiday" (or whatever you might call it) and associated shenanigans possible for their kids (i.e. rather than actively not take part in something that isn't even "a thing", actively DO take part by marking your house/door with pumpkins or something), not expect all the world to be prepared and happy if their regular lives are being disrupted and affected by what can only be discribed as a niche phenomenon (as of now).

yes, i've deliberately worded my post ever so slightly aggressively, i don't know why, but just this second, this whole things annoys me very much. fitting, right? :p

to take this further: i do not have a problem with halloween and i expect we'll be where you are soon enough (i.e. it'll be the norm to take part and people not wishing to have trick or treaters will have to turn their lights out). however, right now, the entitlement some people (especially young parents) around here are showing in regard to this shit (which is, once again, not "a thing" here except for some small part of the population) is infuriating.

Just imagine it's two months later and kids do the Rummelpott runs :dunno:

News people trying to change the "nature" of Devil's Night by calling it Angel's Night....

Getting sent out in the rain after I asked if we needed more candy the other day while at the store...

People in Germany not having fun on Halloween. :tease:

I'm disturbed that nobody has picked up on the grammatical error.

Meanwhile, where I am, there are dead bodies hanging from the trees, and ghosts waving around from building scaffolding. I checked, and none of the bodies are Cameron or Osborne, so I guess it's back to plan B on Thursday.

The rummel-what?

A northern German / southern Denmark tradition going back many hundred years, where you dress up on December 31st and go from door to door making noise and singing traditional songs, asking for treats. Supposedly to keep evil spirits away for the new year, as seems traditional with these traditions.