The "Things that annoy me" thread

To be clear, I was just refering to the substrate material...everything I mentioned as stainless or brass was brushed chrome or nickel plated. :(
Plastic?

I feel like that's the next step...possibly something made specifically for outdoors. We've already switched to plastic shower curtain rings. Funny thing is the towel bar and ring are the same product line as the sconce by the same manufacturer, and they have been totally fine...and we put damp towels on those...

Neighbours not doing their part for the house community. In my house there are six parties involved with cleaning the basement. We do it in turns every three weeks, so everyone has to do it every 18 weeks. Not fun, but simple enough. I takes me about an hour of work.
Anyway, I noticed that the "tag, you're it" marker went round back to me quite a bit faster during last year, so I checked my calendar. Indeed, I've been doing my cleaning part every twelve weeks. That looks suspiciously like two parties simply not doing their part and counting on the others not keeping track.
I've just posted a message on the entrance door about it, written in a way that I accuse nobody and leave people room for saying they simply forgot about the schedule change last year (every three weeks as opposed to every two weeks before). And I included a schedule for the complete year, so nobody can chicken out easily because now everyone has an easy way to notice if the tag marker comes their way too early.
Let's see what the future holds.

The fact that I am on vacation but have to stay home and being restricted within certain rooms, because I have the painters in my house...

But it has to be done and it wouldn't be possible if I had to work.

Gullible people...

We had four customers already who opened an attachment with ransomware in an E-Mail so we had to restore their files from their backups. Afterwards we searched for the offending E-Mail, it was always an E-Mail which pretended to come from a customer or a friend with just a date (for example "12/5/2015 6:10:44 AM" so it's not even formatted in the usual way over here) in the subject and in the text and a zip-file attached. The customers had to open the zip-file and afterwards the zipped .js-file (JavaScript) inside of that to activate the ransomware.
It's not hard to come to a conclusion that an E-Mail with just a date in the subject and in the text is some bogus E-Mail...

Unfortunately most antivirus solutions don't detect those malwares yet, even though they have been in the wild for over two months now. All we can do is sensitize our customers to that since the malicious programmers come up with more clever disguises every time...

The fact that I am on vacation but have to stay home and being restricted within certain rooms, because I have the painters in my house...

But it has to be done and it wouldn't be possible if I had to work.

Funny thing: It?s very German of you staying at home for this kind of thing and this is different in France. Here you usually don?t stay at home for that. You just hand the painters (or the likes) your spare key and tell them to lock the door when they are done. People here looked at me like I?m crazy when I told them I was staying home to supervise the plumber fixing the bathroom.

I'm a very private person. I wouldn't even hand my neighbor my keyes only to water the plants when I'm gone. The only one I would trust with that task would be my mother. I simply hate the imagination that someone could rummage around my private things.

I've been using XBMC / KODI on a Raspberry Pi for years now. Worked very well. But every now and then you can feel that it's just a sort of community project based on voluntary work. Apparently the scraper for music videos broke (basically it's a plugin that tells the Software where on the internet it can get information regarding a certain file and download things like cover and fan art). Which is bad, because without the scraper the mediacenter has no idea what your files are and won't put them in your database. Going to the KODI Wiki I discovered that the scraper in question is indeed marked as "broken due to website overload", with a step by step description of how to install a new scraper. But if you follow the description you'll soon discover that there is only ONE scraper available ('TheAudioDB') and that's the one that is broken. And it's been like that for quite some time now. And nobody bothered to fix it. Also the AudioDB Website works just fine.

Gullible people...

We had four customers already who opened an attachment with ransomware in an E-Mail so we had to restore their files from their backups. Afterwards we searched for the offending E-Mail, it was always an E-Mail which pretended to come from a customer or a friend with just a date (for example "12/5/2015 6:10:44 AM" so it's not even formatted in the usual way over here) in the subject and in the text and a zip-file attached. The customers had to open the zip-file and afterwards the zipped .js-file (JavaScript) inside of that to activate the ransomware.
It's not hard to come to a conclusion that an E-Mail with just a date in the subject and in the text is some bogus E-Mail...

Unfortunately most antivirus solutions don't detect those malwares yet, even though they have been in the wild for over two months now. All we can do is sensitize our customers to that since the malicious programmers come up with more clever disguises every time...

This isn't common sense?

Email with oddly dated and particular time stamped subject. No message contents, just an attachment. Yeah, that's totally a legitimate email from someone. Seriously? And if that's normal for your line of work, check the email address, they're always weird and never are "joesands@company.com" it's always numbers and random letters.

Last edited:
Unfortunately no. Since we have many customers with even more employees there are some deadbeats who apparently haven't heard of this novelty called "common sense" at all... :(

I mean, of course it keeps us busy, but I could do so many other (more enjoyable) things in that time...

And if that's normal for your line of work, check the email address, they're always weird and never are "joesands@company.com" it's always numbers and random letters.
Unfortunately the malware evolved so for normal people who don't know how to check the header those mails seem to be sent from co-workers or customers...

Last edited:
The pest guys here turn up at ridiculous hours of the morning. Didn't get to sleep until ~4am, 8.30am, the doorbell rings. What's wrong with coming AFTER Midday - as we request.
And since the termites are only eating MY bedroom, guess who is inconvenienced?

At least they now appear to be eating the bait. They haven't touched it for the last 6 months.

Gullible people...

Ugh, I feel ya man, Cryptolocker (and it's ilk) are a gigantic PITA. I had to literally sprint to the locker room to rip out a PC from the network because of it.

Funny thing: It?s very German of you staying at home for this kind of thing and this is different in France. Here you usually don?t stay at home for that. You just hand the painters (or the likes) your spare key and tell them to lock the door when they are done. People here looked at me like I?m crazy when I told them I was staying home to supervise the plumber fixing the bathroom.

I'm a very private person. I wouldn't even hand my neighbor my keyes only to water the plants when I'm gone. The only one I would trust with that task would be my mother. I simply hate the imagination that someone could rummage around my private things.

I'm the same way, MacGiffin...but more than that I want to approve their work before they leave so they can fix it without needing *another* trip, which you may not ever get from them. I've had way too many instances where someone has started work, and I check on them in 30 minutes and they are doing something stupid. Well...that, and I always want to learn stuff like that, so I like to watch so I know how to do it myself next time.

I'm too lazy for doing stuff myself. But what's currently being done here, falls under the 5-year warranty my house has got. So of course professionals are doing the job :)

There are a lot of "professionals" who are terrible at their jobs...seemingly especially the numbskulls the home warranty company dispatches.

Well, it's the same painters that did the house when it was new, so...

The housebuilder has a group of certain craftsmen he always uses. So of course they wanna do a good job because they want to keep that lucrative connection.

I'll just chalk it up, then, as another chapter in the on-going chronicles of NecroJoe Gets Terrible Service Wherever He Goes.