The "Things that annoy me" thread

those became massively popular around here a few years back. out of nowhere, suddenly every single new bike came with one of those.

those became massively popular around here a few years back. out of nowhere, suddenly every single new bike came with one of those.

Yes, came with mine, too. When you have a bicycle worth so much, it's kinda necessary really.

Are you sending him clocks or other things that make noise in the box? :p

Yes, came with mine, too. When you have a bicycle worth so much, it's kinda necessary really.

Yeah, what was that popular rule? 10% of the bikes cost should go to the lock or something?
I'm always annoyed by the weight of most locks - but yeah, it's a necessary evil, otherwise the lock is just useless...

So I've been complaining for about a year now that traffic around here would be bad. Well, this week they finally got me:

Yesterday a pedestrian was running on the sidewalk. I overtook her on my bike using the proper bicycle lane when all of the sudden she decided that running on the sidewalk was for loosers and that she now wanted to run on the bicycle lane instead. Without looking what was going on behind her she simply stepped into the road and right into me, almost pushing me off my bike. But ok, nothing bad happened and I probably hurt her more than she hurt me (still her fault though, so I don't feel bad about it).

And today, again on my way to work, there is this car in oncoming traffic that wants to turn left (and therefore has to cross my lane). In theory he would have to wait until I go past, but waiting is apparently for loosers, so he decided to turn right then and there. Forcing me to do an emergency stop on my racing bicycle. Racing bicycles are very bad at stopping. But the right side of his car was very good at stopping me. As was the road that I hit after my front wheel was turned 90? by his still moving car. Again - luckily - nothing serious happened. A few scratches on my arms and legs, and also on my bike (which has already done 10.000 km, so I don't care too much anymore).

It's amazing that people can be this bad at traffic. Pedestrians stepping into the road without looking and cars turning into oncoming traffic. Great fucking job. I'm gonna stay home tomorrow, otherwise I'm probably going to be run over by a truck or a tank or some stupid shit.

Racing bicycles are very bad at stopping.

That should be fixed. Stopping is a critical part of being able to save your own ass on a bike.

That should be fixed. Stopping is a critical part of being able to save your own ass on a bike.

Small tires mean there is very little contact area between the bike and the road. It also means the tires lock up easily if you apply too much force to the brakes. You can still stop in a reasonable amount of time, but not if someone simply cuts you off without warning right in front of you. Even on my MTB I would have very probably still hit the car, although certainly a bit slower.

Exactly the type of lock they stole from me. The way to break it? Steal it when not in use ...

Without the key or the key card it's quite useless for anyone.

And why not use it, when you have it? Doesn't compute...

Small tires mean there is very little contact area between the bike and the road. It also means the tires lock up easily if you apply too much force to the brakes. You can still stop in a reasonable amount of time, but not if someone simply cuts you off without warning right in front of you. Even on my MTB I would have very probably still hit the car, although certainly a bit slower.

Small tyres also mean you have high pressure applied to the road by the tyres, giving you the same friction. Depending on your seating position you may get rear lift-off earlier... can't blame the tyres for that though.

My PC died today. The power is there and seems fine, but it won't start up. Add this to the pile of crap that hasn't gone well this week.

At least the week is almost over!

Power supply seems fine. I have to try a few things to determine what the problem is.

Chrome on desktop updated to Material design without informing or asking. It's hideous. Eventually found I had to go to chrome://flags/#top-chrome-md and disable it. So top tip, do that if your Chrome is ugly.