The "Things that annoy me" thread

Getting static electricity from every other thing you touch at your workplace gets old really fast. It's gotten to the point I'm afraid to touch anything.

You need a humidifier. Heating, whether forced air or radiation, the air gets dried out.

Paraphrased meeting this morning:

Client: "We're looking for 'X' to help us with something we already have and our budget is $800."
Me: "Wow, we'll I'll certainly look into it, but I can't imagine a world where this would be anything less than quadruple your budget." [I stopped at quadruple because at the time I couldn't remember if the "u" in "quintuple" was pronounced like "up" or "oop" for some reason.]

*one week later*

Me: "OK, well, the manufacturer of your piece doesn't offer this specific requested item for their product. I then proceeded to get quotes both from the custom fabricator that's done tons of work on your project already that you know and trust, as well as a local smaller shop. They both came back with similar pricing, ranging from $5,100-$5400."
Client: "Oh, but we said our budget was $800."
Me: "...yep, you sure did. Looks like we need to come up with a different solution."
Client: "I don't understand why this would be so expensive. We need a solution that fits the budget."
Me: "It looks like we need to consider other ways of achieving your goal. Perhaps we could look at--"
Client: "I mean...this really seems like the best way. I think you might not be explaining what we want correctly. Can we review your requests to the vendors together?"

*55 minutes later*

Me: "So, as you can see, I really only asked for the bare minimum. After reviewing the pricing together even showing you our costs and how we are only charging the contractually-agreed-upon profit, you can see the labor hourly rate, the material cost, the shipping cost, engineering costs all add up. And also you can see how you could save money by ordering a qty of 3, which is a great option since you'll need 2 more in 4 months anyway, and they requested 15 weeks to fabricate which would put us right in time."
Client: "It just seems so expensive for what it is."
Me: "Yep...it's sure does. So as I was saying, if we decided instead to go with something like this, it would solve the issue and cost less--"
Client: "Oh, but we like this one. It's just too expensive."
Me: "I agree."
Client: "But we really like it."
Me: "I'm sure you do."
Client: "But this is too expensive."
Me: "It is."

"awkward silence for about 20 seconds while we all look at each other, expecting the other to respond.*

"awkward silence for about 20 seconds while we all look at each other, expecting the other to respond.*
"What do you mean, we can't get something for nothing?"

The bizarro world part of it is...that main person I'm talking To? They literally used to do the job I'm doing. They used to work here, and did this job. They got recruited by the client and works for them now. So they're the client now, and honestly seems completely oblivious to everything they learned in the 10+ years they did this job.

Email scammers wasting my time at work.

Got sent a request for a quote, with not enough information, then ignores me when I ask for a phone number, but sends the extra "details" anyway. I sent back a quote, and then get "do you accept credit card as payment? I need a small favor from you...." Fuck off.

I had thought it was bullshit after the second email, when they ignored my request for a phone number, and the syntax was off... Have said we only take cash. Will see if they bother to respond.

Fucking Florida toll roads. In PA, the toll booths stretch the width of the turnpike and even ez pass holders are forced to slow down and go through the booth.

Not the case in fucking Florida. They shunt people who are paying cash into one or two "exit" lanes on the right side of the highway where there are 3 or so toll booths. The remaining 3 lanes stay on course and are temporarily "sunpass/ezpass" lanes. Once you pay the toll you are then merged back into the main toll road again.

This can happen multiple times on the same fucking highway. My brother drove to winter park and noticed it, wondering if we were potentially overpaying for access to the road.

In pa, you take a ticket at a toll booth as you get on then pay a actual fucking person at the end. There's no needing to cut over 4 lanes of traffic to a exit lane, go to a little separate island of toll booths then work to get back up to speed to merge back into main traffic in the middle of the fucking route.

On the way back from Winter Park, traffic was high and I was relying more on the GPS guidance. Guess what doesn't tell you to get into this shitty exit lane?

So I blew one of the tolls on the return trip. The ticket apparently gets sent in the mail so that'll probably be 150+ dollars in bullshit I get to deal with when I get back.

Another gripe - Some tollbooths have people but some others don't. The ones that don't require fucking exact change but also don't have a gate or arm stopping progress. My other dumbass brother apparently cannot count change at fucking 20 years old so when we were first getting to my grandma - we encountered one of these tiny tollbooths. I throw in the change he gave me and drove off without verifying that I wasn't 25 cents short.

Fuck Florida toll roads man. They blow and are too numerous to count.

Yeah, I don't use the toll roads, they're just a pain in the ass.

OT:
I actually went to high school in Winter Park.
/OT

You wouldn't like the IL tollway then. It's set up the same way. Difference is, EZ-Pass is accepted.

I screwed up my left foot while out running yesterday...
After some 8km I stopped at a red light (very gently and slowly) and suddenly, out of nothing, without having any real reason, my left foot started to hurt quite badly (internally). I finished my run, wobbling about a little bit for the last 2 km, had a shower, and drove over to my girlfriends place, so essentially keeping the foot still for the next 45 minutes. Getting out of the car I couldn't really walk properly anymore... so she went nuts and put some strange earthy stuff on the foot, which she said was fairly hot to the touch, while feeling super cold to me (as in: the foot was feeling cold, not when I touched it).

Aaaaanyway, off to the doctors in an hour to have them take a look :| perfect timing, with my four week trip to NZ in a week and all :dunno:

Running is a stupid form of exercise as it puts a lot of strain on the body. The harder the surface you run on, the worse it is (and you stopping at a red light makes it sound like you were running on pavement).

I swim which isn't good for my skin, but at least my joints, tendons and stuff are fine - or rather - not getting worse.

Yeah, I guess...
Additionally I run in those barefoot shoes (and usually I try to keep pavement to a minimum - this was a bloody set of lights for horses to cross a street through a forest), which theoretically should trade some of the stress on my joints (less) to tendons/muscle (more) - so that might have contributed. But I've never had any issues in the last 3.5 years... just got back from the pysician and they did some poking and prodding and told me basically nothing serious (otherwise I would've screamed their head off during the poking) and to suck it up and take a few ibuprofen the next three days :dunno:

I'll start regular swimming again hopefully in May when the local open air pool opens :)

Been saying it for years....nothing good ever comes from Sports.

Go to the pub, throw a dart at a board or something if you feel the need for competition, be fat, be unhealty, live like Bachus, be happy, die anyway, just like the healthnuts do at some point, just slightly sooner.

Last edited:
Ran a script on a server overnight, it only ran the first half of the code, and failed at some part that I didn't/couldn't diagnose yesterday... welp...

Fanboyism...

What the actual fuck!!!

This has come at me in the last few months at an alarming scale. First, I don't use Apple products because I play games, and until fairly recently, most games did not play on Apple computers. It still requires booting into Windows for many, so what is the benefit to paying more for an Apple PC (it is still a PC, stop saying it isn't) and have to buy Windows on top of that? There is only one. I could get the Apple fanboys to shut the hell up for 5 minutes. Then they would start in about how glorious the newest stuff is, or is not what they want...

Consoles vs the Master Race PC God like frame rate whores. Fuck both of these in the goat ass! Oh, you play game x? On what system? Oh, you should play on console x, it is better... Or, you haven't got a One/PS4 yet? Really?

You don't have 2 of the bestest graphics cards? Your frame rate must be terrible. You don't have a $400 motherboard? Why would you build such a PC? If you would step away from that ultra high end PC that you live behind and look at reality, you might see a world beyond playing games.

Let us not forget the newly reheated AMD vs Intel shit. How can either side be so Damn childish? I need to build a new PC and the Master Race idiots and the red vs blue shut make me just want to get a console, er, fuck it, I will just buy a car... Damn, GM vs Ford ...

I am going to take a nap.

Fanboyism...

What the actual fuck!!!

This has come at me in the last few months at an alarming scale. First, I don't use Apple products because I play games, and until fairly recently, most games did not play on Apple computers. It still requires booting into Windows for many, so what is the benefit to paying more for an Apple PC (it is still a PC, stop saying it isn't) and have to buy Windows on top of that? There is only one. I could get the Apple fanboys to shut the hell up for 5 minutes. Then they would start in about how glorious the newest stuff is, or is not what they want...

Consoles vs the Master Race PC God like frame rate whores. Fuck both of these in the goat ass! Oh, you play game x? On what system? Oh, you should play on console x, it is better... Or, you haven't got a One/PS4 yet? Really?

You don't have 2 of the bestest graphics cards? Your frame rate must be terrible. You don't have a $400 motherboard? Why would you build such a PC? If you would step away from that ultra high end PC that you live behind and look at reality, you might see a world beyond playing games.

Let us not forget the newly reheated AMD vs Intel shit. How can either side be so Damn childish? I need to build a new PC and the Master Race idiots and the red vs blue shut make me just want to get a console, er, fuck it, I will just buy a car... Damn, GM vs Ford ...

I am going to take a nap.

99% of Windows vs Linux vs Mac comes down to personal preference. I will say that for the field I'm in (publishing), it's just about required to have familiarity with Mac, because it's sooooooo much easier to deal with ebooks on OS X. So my personal computer is a Macbook Pro, that I have partitioned and then have Windows installed on a decent-sized chunk of that for the games that either don't have decent Mac ports or just simply run better on Windows.