The "Things that annoy me" thread

Well, in some Mexican music, they use upright bass' so, that and a bass drum is where I'd think that comes from.

Yesterday somebody with a very bad microphone joined my TS3-Server. His volume was all over the place - sometimes it seemed that he was basically eating the microphone, and the next second it sounded like he wasn't even in the same room as his recording device. And no matter what settings he made, his voice activation ALWAYS cut off the beginning and the end of every sentence. This got me so frustrated that I wanted to stop playing Dying Light coop with him because every time he said something it sounded like:

"ook out, thERE IS someo... ehinD YOu in that buildi"

The first thing I did when I installed TS3 was a mic check to make sure that the volume was high (and constant) enough and that the voice activation level was properly set so that it's high enough to cut out (heavy) breathing sounds but still starts recording when I speak with a normal volume without cutting parts of the sentence away. But apparently not everybody is so considerate. God I wish I just could give no fucks about others as well, it must make life so much easier. On the other hand, nobody ever ever ever complained that they could not understand me in TS3.

Last edited:
Proper mic use is a problem everywhere. My bet is the kid was moving around and assumed the mic would just pick things up perfectly.

Voice activation is just a gate. If the threshold and ratio aren't set right, you got problems. I don't know how sophisticated team speak's gate settings are but, usually there's a "how much do I really want to kill the audio signal when the gate is on" setting so that you can reduce cut's and have a nice smooth release of sound.

My laptop rearranges my desktop icons periodically. Seems like it does it when I dock/undock, but not everytime.

Also, explorer windows are never consistent with their size or preview pane proportions. I could open My Computer and have the preview pane be half of the window, and the next time it would be 90%. I don't understand why any of this changes.

The first one could be resolution change. When docked, are you using the built in screen as the main or at all? A coworker had a similar issue and I cannot remember what caused it.

The first one could be resolution change. When docked, are you using the built in screen as the main or at all? A coworker had a similar issue and I cannot remember what caused it.

My laptop is always the primary screen, and always set to 1920x1080. The icons rearrange themselves, but stay on my laptop screen.

Proper mic use is a problem everywhere. My bet is the kid was moving around and assumed the mic would just pick things up perfectly.

Voice activation is just a gate. If the threshold and ratio aren't set right, you got problems. I don't know how sophisticated team speak's gate settings are but, usually there's a "how much do I really want to kill the audio signal when the gate is on" setting so that you can reduce cut's and have a nice smooth release of sound.

I personally use push to talk. I can't stand people who use voice activation and then don't mute their mic when they're eating or coughing.

It's 2017 and I'm getting 200-300KB/s from Dell's website, on a 700MB file...

Interestingly I just had to download some files from the Dell website as well. The BIOS update download was as slow as yours, but the customized ESXi image file went through with 8-9 MB/s (we have a 100 Mbit/s connection at work)...

I think the files are scattered around, I've had similar issues with downloading from Microsoft in the past. Our connection is 100Mbit/s too here.

I personally use push to talk. I can't stand people who use voice activation and then don't mute their mic when they're eating or coughing.

Oh jesus, that's the worst. "Sorry but I'm about to eat this bag of crisps while drinking a beer which causes me to frequently burp, but I can't be arsed to mute myself, so tough luck for you, my friend."

When done right, push to talk is good because it's "hands free". The threshold should just be above your normal ambient noise. It's also quite good to have a headset with a physical "mute" button so that you can still mute yourself in case you have to sneeze and don't want to blow out the eardrums of everybody listening to you.

Also on my second (wireless) headset the mic quality is apparently rather poor and several people complained that they had trouble understanding me, so I no longer use that headset for conversations. Instead it's only used to listen to music now.

SoundTech LightSnake XLR-USB. Then you can have whatever professional stage quality level of dynamic microphone you want! :p

I had both laying around so the odd occasion I mic myself, it's what I use. Mic is a used Sennhesier E838.

Fudge is good!

The latest acronym that I made up: HUAFOB (pronounced who-uh-fob)
For those people who like to dawdle in traffic, especially in the fast lane:
Head Up Ass, Foot On Brake :mrgreen:

SL

When people use "LMBO". Damn PC folks have to even water down LMAO. I wonder if they try to convince themselves WTF means What the Fudge.

Same kind of people who define heck as the final destination of folk who don't believe in ?gosh.