The "Things that annoy me" thread

People that turn left or right and move one or two lanes over.:blowup:
This morning I was nearly sideswiped by an octogenarian because of this. I am used to people on the leftmost lane turning left and moving over to a lane on the right, but this fucker went even wider! He managed to go from the 1st lane to the THIRD, nearly ramming me. WTF?!?

Fuckers. There are two intersections in my daily routes where this happens. I make sure to hold back a little to give myself an out, but my palm rests on my horn the whole time, ready to let 'er rip just in case.

When making a turn, the person on the outside has free reign to end up in any lane they want, from the one they are turning from, out. However, anyone in the inside or middle lanes MUST stay in their lanes. No exceptions, except maybe if there are no cars in the "outside" lane(s)...but these folks you describe aren't doing the due diligence to be able to execute that audible.

Fuckers. There are two intersections in my daily routes where this happens. I make sure to hold back a little to give myself an out, but my palm rests on my horn the whole time, ready to let 'er rip just in case.

When making a turn, the person on the outside has free reign to end up in any lane they want, from the one they are turning from, out. However, anyone in the inside or middle lanes MUST stay in their lanes. No exceptions, except maybe if there are no cars in the "outside" lane(s)...but these folks you describe aren't doing the due diligence to be able to execute that audible.

I might be completely wrong but I believe you should keep in the same lane, no matter which one you were on.
For example: you are in the rightmost lane in a two-lane street, you must stay in the rightmost lane, no matter how many lanes that street has. If you were in the second from left, you go to the second to left, and so on and so forth.
I never checked what the law says, but now I am curious.

Oh I have no doubt it's illegal to change lanes in a turn no matter what...but for myself and any drivers around me, I would let that slide and not hold anyone to that law for any reason that I can think of (where i imagine the only exception might be for turning from two turn lanes into a road with 4 lanes, and you need to immediately turn right after the turn) , as long as they've checked that the way is clear (like there is no one pulling out from any of the driveway that they're driving past who may not expect the turning car to end up in their lane).

Last edited:
A tie between not noticing the GDPO's screwup and the actual screwup itself: tapered lug nuts on stock wheels that over time started to bore their own seats into the wheel. Hope I noticed it in time to avoid totally ruining the wheels.

Nobody got my recent gag in the Aviation Thread. Even if it did mean a potential red blob broadside from stiggie. :cry:

Trying to buy a train ticket from London to Edinburgh. Why are all of these sites so damned awkward to use?

Why can't they just offer more search parameters? The way it is, I can't tell if I'll be able to select my seats until I get all the way through, put the tickets in my cart, and then find out I can't...but then I can't just "change search", oh no...I have to remove the tickets from my cart and start all over again. Faaaa..

I just want 2 tickets, first class, leaving any time after 9, and I want to be able to get two seats next to each other on the right side of the train. But noooo...so far I've put 9 different trips in my cart, and only 1 have I been given the option to select my seats, but on that train, our two seats were the only two available on the entire train.

:hammer:

edit: Ugh...and just let me search hotels that have king beds available. Stop showing me 30 hotels that only have double or two twins. Bah.

Last edited:
Try going London to Glasgow with Virgin Trains, then from Glasgow to Edinburgh because:

1. The West Coast Main Line is more interesting.
2. You get to travel on a tilting train.
3. Which has its own, exclusive craft beer.

edit: Ugh...and just let me search hotels that have king beds available. Stop showing me 30 hotels that only have double or two twins. Bah.

Also, beware of "Queen" beds in the UK. Apparently for them it means something different than in the rest of the world, and it's basically a double (or maybe even smaller).

Everything is smaller in the UK than it is in North America, (except the beers) just the way that is, same goes for most of Europe....you can't be a 'charming' oldfashioned hotel if you have 60 basketballcourt size rooms built last year.....

Last edited:

Yeah but at least make a shower that's not meant for a 5 foot tall 12 year old's.

The rooms I've been in have been fine. The showers seem like an after thought.

I'm 6ft6 for 120kg..... how do you think I feel about that crap?

It's just that we have a lot of old buildings, especially in the UK, built in a time when 6ft tall was a big exception rather than the rule....

Last edited:
When businesses pick up their phone with just, "Please hold" and then put you on hold. No "You've reached Blah-dee-blah Dental Office, please hold"...hell, not even a "hello." I've never once done that, and I've worked retail in a mall during the holidays, and a grocery store the day before Thanksgiving.

I have a feeling they probably purposely misspell common names just to make their shift a little more interesting.

When businesses pick up their phone with just, "Please hold" and then put you on hold. No "You've reached Blah-dee-blah Dental Office, please hold".

You've now given me something to do when a coworker calls the office. :D