The "Things that annoy me" thread

All the fucking potholes. Townships do this awesome thing called cold patch which is a man that shovels in asphalt in the spring into a pothole and then lets the snow plow truck scoop it up the following winter. Just patch the road you morons.

When streaming sites only a few movies from a series. Even more so when they're missing the first one.

Netflix has Austin Powers Goldmember right now, but not the first two. They have the first Addams Family but not the 2nd. Amazon Prime has Iron Man 2, but not 1 (at least not included with Prime). They also only have 4 James Bond films. Hulu currently has 5 of the 8 Fast and Furious movies.
That reminds me. I watched the first Terminator movie on Netflix the other day, and then I watched Terminator 2 a couple days later. On Amazon Prime.

Netflix gets the first film and Amazon Prime gets the sequel. I love it when a plan comes together. lol

All the fucking potholes. Townships do this awesome thing called cold patch which is a man that shovels in asphalt in the spring into a pothole and then lets the snow plow truck scoop it up the following winter. Just patch the road you morons.
Last year over summer a truck came down my street and some guys dumped some asphalt into most of the potholes and half arsedly pressed it into place. Now it's winter and a combo of frost and traffic has torn it all back up and I'd say it's actually worse than it was previously. My street doesn't even get ploughed or have heavy traffic...

I thought it was just something one restaurant in the UK had, but I keep coming across it. It showed up in a recent Sorted video, and that's what inspired the post.

I don't see the problem? i would eat it...

and of all things you can eat in the UK, you find that one the worst? :lol:

Last year over summer a truck came down my street and some guys dumped some asphalt into most of the potholes and half arsedly pressed it into place. Now it's winter and a combo of frost and traffic has torn it all back up and I'd say it's actually worse than it was previously. My street doesn't even get ploughed or have heavy traffic...

That's the way it goes pretty much everywhere. I took this photo of a crew doing something similar near my work.
11FdBVz.jpg

And the result of their fine work...
0uhTLbT.jpg

Fast forward a year, and the road is in worse condition than it was. I'll try to get a photo later.

Welp, today wasn't the best day I've had...

The good: I cycled 80 km. :)

The bad: I planned on ferrying over the river Elbe by ferry, but the ferry doesn't operate in January and February which I didn't know so I had to take a detour to the next bridge crossing... :rolleyes:

The ugly: I had planned on cycling about 15 km more, but said 80 km into the ride the rear tire blew so I had to walk to the next subway station (at least that was just 1 km away, not 10 if the tire had blown 20 km earlier). Then the subway in my direction terminated two stations before mine (that was scheduled, I could have waited 5 minutes to catch a subway without changing) and I had to switch platforms. On the last leg from the subway station home it began to rain and I slightly twisted my ankle. :mad:

That's what you get for being a bicyclist. ;)

In other news: I'm afraid the guitar I want to buy next might not be around much longer, but I'm not ready to buy yet (trying to be responsible and waiting until next year, and it's not cheap). There were 2 versions. One of them was already discontinued, and I haven't seen many "New Guitar Day" posts about the other, so I have a feeling it might get discontinued this summer.

I hate all of these brands advertising online using memes. Triplebyte, etc. Marketing so targeted is always so cringeworthy to me, especially when I'm the target of the marketing.

People who do this:

[video]

Median.

Mean, I get. Mode? There's some logical use cases for it. But Median? What is that actually ever used for?

Same, but guess I don't understand how it's useful. If you have 101 people working at a company, why does the 50th person's wage actually matter, or perhaps, what does it communicate better than "most common" and "average" don't convey in a more useful manner?

Same, but guess I don't understand how it's useful. If you have 101 people working at a company, why does the 50th person's wage actually matter, or perhaps, what does it communicate better than "most common" and "average" don't convey in a more useful manner?

Yeah, the application of mean, median can be very specific.
Median is useful when you want a "typical" value in a distribution, because it is not skewed by the extreme values like mean is. Yes, mode is kinda the same, but gives you the actual values, not a typical value. The difference is minute, but it's there.

I am not sure I helped. :LOL:

Oh, MEEDian. I was pronouncing this like Aldi’s computer brand. :D

The average (arithmetic mean, sum divided by count) pay is often more influenced by the C-level pay than by the vast majority the workforce, while percentiles (median is the 50th percentile) ignore extremes. Instead of the question "what's this company's average pay?" where the average over all salaries would be the answer the median answers the colloquial question "what does the average employee make?".

Mode is great when you have low cardinality values and a standard-ish (=bell curve) distribution, but it's useless for pay unless you first group people together, e.g. by tens of thousands annually.

Percentiles are great to understand a population/distribution of values, I use them all the time. Generally speaking, I learn more about a set of values by looking at a few percentiles, e.g. 1-20-40-60-80-99 or 0-20-40-60-80-100 if you care about the outliers, than by looking at the average.
A common example for me is response time of applications, websites, etc.: You'll typically measure some percentile between 90th and 99th, depending on the scenario. There will always be a few extreme outliers towards the top for whatever reasons, those outliers will destroy the maximum and significantly skew the average. On the other end of the scale you don't care how fast the fastest responses are at all. By ensuring your 99th percentile is below some good enough value you can say "our thing performs fast enough in at least 99% of cases", which usually translates to "our user base can work/buy/etc. fast enough".

I hear it used quite often for housing prices and income.

Indeed. Compare this pair of questions:
"How much does the average home cost?" vs "How much does the average family pay for a home?"
Same as pay above, the first would use the average while the second would use the median. The first is significantly influenced by very expensive homes, while the second ignores them. Both questions are valid questions of course.
For a more complete picture of the overall population's situation I'd like a table of percentiles for housing prices too.

Last edited:
When someone posts a comment to any thread, article, social media post that mentioned anyone of any noteriety (indie film actor, instagram model, obscure band, etc), where they post something like, "Who?"

Like...I know they are trying minimize whatever accomplishments this person may have achieved, however small, because they haven't heard of them...but to me, it just comes across as 2 things: 1) they are too old/naive/stupid to google the person, or 2) they are just showing the world how naive they are to something, especially when the person referred to has a billboard charted album or had a couple million total sales, or has hundreds of thousands of followers, etc. Clearly these people must have some fans, so by proclaiming to the world that you don't know who they are said more about the commenter's awareness of the world beyond their neighborhood, than it does about the status of the "celebrity" (however loosely you need to use that word).

When live stream videos start with 3-5 seconds of the person staring blankly at their screen/camera. I think the software just have a built-in delay long enough to be able to give the host a firm countdown with an accurate start time?