The "Things that annoy me" thread

You would think that would be fixed by now, right?

There's some services with a shorter delay, like Mixer, but even then it's not 100% sure, so the streamers will take the first few seconds to monitor if everything is working correctly (audio desync, bitrate, titles). A solution to that is just to have a countdown timer before the stream starts so you can do all the checks without looking like a doofus.

(I'm a mod for several streamers on twitch)

When live stream videos start with 3-5 seconds of the person staring blankly at their screen/camera. I think the software just have a built-in delay long enough to be able to give the host a firm countdown with an accurate start time?

You still get that in traditional media too, and they’re working with multi-million dollar budgets. How often does a studio anchor say “and now to our correspondent on the scene” and they just stand there for 3-5 seconds staring silently into the camera after the feed switches? You’d think the audio delay isn’t THAT bad.

Also, something that drives me up the wall - when people at work IM me on the corporate chat system with a “Hi” or a “Hello Mike” and wait for my reply before asking their question. Most of the time its people who I have never talked to before. Just message “Hi Mike, would you be able to tell me blah blah blah”, or more preferably, send me an email considering most of the time the reply needs to be in the form of an email anyways because the amount of data requested simply can’t be sent over IM.

I'm having to design a reception area for a client.

It's a small lobby, so it's already limiting, but get this: it's a triangle-shaped room, with no right angles, and the hypotenuse of this triangle is curved, half of that curved wall is a balcony that looks down to the first floor. Not only that, but it's got six - count-em' SIX entry doors into this triangle room.

Just for shits and giggles, I put the last reception desk I did in this space in the drawing, and there wasn't even a direction I could turn it to fit it in the room, and not block a third of the doors. :lol:

Email lists that make you login to unsubscribe can burn in hell.

Email lists that make you login to unsubscribe can burn in hell.

Something else that annoys me about this process, and I have no idea how legitimate this actually is… but how does it take 7 to 10 days to remove me from the list?

Something else that annoys me about this process, and I have no idea how legitimate this actually is… but how does it take 7 to 10 days to remove me from the list?
Just had that today. Unsubscribed from an email list, got a message saying "we're sorry to see you go, changes may take up to 10 days to process" then got an email from that list within 2 hours.

Also another one I saw while on my mass unsubscribe crusade today was clicking unsubscribe at the bottom of an email then confirming it, but realizing it only took me off one list. Had to go back and manually uncheck all 10 of their lists. And i bet tomorrow I'll get an email from them and it'll be from a new list that didn't exist today that I technically never unsubscribed from.

Filter your email to block anything with the word "unsubscribe" in it.

I do get a lot of trade newsletters and updates via email that I can't miss. :(

Facebook has got to be the only place where when a video is clicked it enlarges rather than pauses.
This is one of the reasons I decided to delete Facebook. Aside from all of the privacy reasons, this... this really pissed me off.

This is one of the reasons I decided to delete Facebook. Aside from all of the privacy reasons, this... this really pissed me off.

I want to rid myself of it, but it's currently a great way for us to promote the racetrack. Once that dies off, I'm out.

there are several comics and other channels i follow and would miss dearly if i were to get rid of facebook
and no, i refuse to make an instagram account...

Life is so much better not being on FaceGram, Twatter, or InstaBook. :)

The only reason I still have a Facebook account is just in case I need it again for something actually worthwhile one day. Other than that, I don't need it, but I do check it daily just in case. I would like to deactivate it, but then, there's still that "what if". Besides that, my feed is full of spam, ads and utterly useless information. Oh, and then there's the ease of logging into various useless mobile apps by just connecting them to your FB account.

I do use Instagram however, and I am a bit addicted to it, but I do keep my IG activity limited to once a day, at a specific time point of the day when I have no other obligations. I mostly use it for car-related stuff, so it is often the source where I learn what's going on in the car world (e.g. like how I found out Matt Farah's passed the million mile mark with his Lexus recently). I don't want to get rid of it just yet, mostly because it seems to be the platform all my friends switched to, and because it keeps car-related stuff to follow nice and organised.

I don't use Twitter though, because it never was a big thing in this corner of the world. Who knows, I might start using it one day.

Anyway, my point is that while life is probably better without social media, I get that we all still have reasons we still use them, even if it's just for one thing or two. And that is OK in my opinion, as long as you're not addicted to them or spend too much time using them.

But I digress from the thread's topic. What I also wanted to say is that one little annoyance of mine is when they started putting ads on Instagram. That's one thing that steered me away from using Facebook and moving to Instagram, and now I have to endure them on Instagram. But I guess that was inevitable.

I've been mentally hovering over the delete profile button for months, but I have a few private social groups I'd have no other way of keeping in touch with. As it is, I've made all of 2 posts in the last year. Went through about 3ish years ago and deleted all my public posts in random groups. Sure that's all likely archived on Facebook's servers, but at least its not publicly searchable anymore.